Equalizer software for Windows sound

I’ve a 60+ year old male who has worn hearing aids for about 10 years (and needed them lots longer). I was educated as an electrical engineer with electronics emphasis, RF and AF.

I’m interested in trying to play with equalization software in my PC to determine if gains other than those in my aid (not in addition to, I don’t think) would improve intelligibility.

I’m familiar with spectrum analysis and have moderate experience with it … but I want to construct effectively filtering or gains as a function of frequency, not just look at what is present. In effect, I want to play computer sound through the programming of a hearing aid.

Are any of you aware of such things, preferably either freeware, shareware, or at least trialware?

Thanks!

Windows Media Player 11 has a built in 10 band equalizer. Might want to give it a try if that is enough bands for you and if your sound source can be played through WMP. Or, here is a 1/3 octave 30 band if you need more.http://www.windows7download.com/win7-graphic-equalizer-studio/wxrjtctb.html

Thanks, I’ll look there. I realized I didn’t mention that I’d also like compression … I’ve played with Audacity some to create recorded sound that is “better” than “correct”.

Try either Audacity (free with various plug-ins)

or

a free VST Host plus free plug-ins.

Note that the equalisers may not have enough range to match those used in hearing aids.

Also note that an ASIO or other high quality add-on sound card is almost essential.

You will need to be a bit of a techie to use these tools successfully.

I use it regularly, but have never understood it to be usable as a multichannel equalizer of live signals going through the sound card … recording, yes; editing, yes … but live "modification? I’ve not played with any of the VST stuff, but what little I see makes it look similar. The graphic equalizer in DFPope’s link has some possibility; I use their spectrum analysis application.

Range will be somewhat of an issue, but I think the VARIATION I have will minimize that significance. The techie doesn’t bother me … the sound card may be an issue for experimentation; I use standard Windoze sound on a lower-end Dell.

THANKS

You can try PCAudi sourceforge.net/projects/pcaudi

This software is freeware.

Henri