EQ Curve for Headphones

Several years ago I noticed a Kickstarter product that seemed to deal with the problem of EQ Curves for Headphones. I ordered it an after a long delay it finally arrived. It also works to adjust your headphones or other devices to your hearing profile using an app on your mobile device. You take a self test with the app to develop your profile. It worked for me and allowed me to enjoy music and hear the cymbals etc that I had missed before. It might be worth looking into. The only negative is that it is a wired device. The item is called Aumeo and was designed by an audiologist from Hong Kong. I just looked at their website (aumeoaudio.com) and they have now come out with a number of other products that might help when trying to enjoy your music.

1 Like

If the KS9’s do not have an equalization program built into the software and the aids like the KS8’s do, have you considered dedicating one the the programs to streaming? The fitter could boost the bass (probably as much as 20 dB) for that program so it sounds better when streaming. You would have to manually select the program which would not be a big deal when listening to music, but would not be ideal when using the aids for phone calls.

A good start would seem to be making a copy of a music program and then boosting the bass for streaming, if the main purpose is for listening to music.

Hi Sierra,

Target software DOES have separate settings for streaming music fine tuning vs streaming phone calls. I was nervous about boosting the bass as far as is shown in the example you sent, but will give it a try…

1 Like

The Connexx software used with the Rexton/Signia/KS8 allow for a maximum boost of 18 dB. It sets a default amount based on the fitting type. Open fittings get lots of boost, while closed get much less.

Let us know. I’m very interested.

I just came back from my audi appointment to try to address the lack of bass in streaming. She didn’t think I should go for closed domes, but gave me longer wires so I could get the open domes to at least point into my canal, notwithstanding the idiotic wire bend.

Bass response is already better, and by boosting bass by 10dB (the limit of Android Play Music equalizer) and depressing midrange slightly, I’m starting to get reasonable sound! I’m going back to the audi next week for some customization. Perhaps I should get a Noahlink now that this stuff is starting to converge on functional.

So let us know how you fare.

Try as I might, I just can’t seem to get the streaming music part to sound good to me. I can’t push the bass enough (program won’t let me) and the mids seem to automatically follow. Neither could the two fitters. No big deal, for me, as I prefer my active listening be done through good headphones or speakers. I have my music manual setting on the KS9s tweaked perfectly for me, so listening through speakers in the room is an enjoyable experience, as is playing my instruments.

Shoot. Too bad. Thanks for the info.

Sonar Works is a software/app approach to headphone or speaker EQ that’s used by music-industry pros which takes into account what headphones or perhaps speakers you’re using. It also asks your age and sex, and supposedly makes suitable adjustments. There’s a 21-day free trial for the “desktop” (i.e., not smartphone) version. Would be curious what others think of it – I definitely thought music sounded better through it. Also, if you muck about on their website, you might find an A/B survey you can take, where you are played the same brief sample, selected based on the kinds of music you say you listen to, and asked to say which sounds better.

Sonar Works is interesting. I tried it a while back and found it wasn’t quite ready for prime time. And, on my Mac, there are already enough tools built into the audio programs to tailor the experience to my loss. At the time, they were indicating they’d have an iOS version out which is what is really needed. That was at least 5 years ago. So far, nothing. I will revisit it for the Mac, though. Thanks for posting this.