Engineers/IT Experts/ Researchers

Hello,

It’s impossible to say this without being patronising to the notorious sub group.

Please, stop giving advice as if its anything other than anecdotal. You have very little understanding of what you’re actually talking about.

Reading through the forums for an hour or so and the amount of misinformation and extrapolation going on from these guys is appalling.

If you have an interest read, ‘Hearing Aids’ by Harvey Dillon and find some literature on psychoacoustics. I am all about community information and personal experiences but telling people what to do about their hearing health with no professional knowledge is down right dangerous… Watching a youtube video or reading manufacture funded studies accounts for exactly nothing.

Be safe :+1:

You have been a member of this forum for 44 minutes.

We aren’t perfect but really try to help each other. We have really great pros that step and clear the air when needed.

Rather than criticize please help.

4 Likes

Sorry but after 15 years of wearing hearing aids I find it hard to understand how someone that doesn’t hear what I hear fully understanding my needs. Sure you can read the audiogram and set up aids for it, but that is only a starting point. Then the real fitting starts to take place.

3 Likes

My audi yesterday told me, audiology is science but there’s an art to it too. The audiogram, the software, REM, is just a starting point, you have to tell us what works for you. Needless to say I enjoy being her client because I am a part of the service that affects me. I am not a passive observer.

And I am sorry sir/ma’am but what is learning but someone with more experience sharing what they know in order to benefit others? There’s no need to put down the armchair experts on this forum; they have a collected wealth of knowledge and experience that can’t be matched otherwise.

3 Likes

One day i should live stream what the hell actually goes on in an audiologists room and explain what I’m doing and why :joy:

I spent a couple months in Queensland years ago. Ended up in Darby at an ethanol plant trying to help them get operations on spec. Met some really great people. They are tell it like is type people that I respect.

I got a feeling you are like those people I met.

1 Like

I think most of us do know that seeing so many of us have been wearing hearing aids for a long time. All I can say is I am glad I do not have to go to your clinic, me and you would go nose to nose, because of your attitude. I know what I am hearing and in some cases what I am not hearing. The best Audi’s will ask me how I am hearing and what I need changed, the other just set the aids and tell me it is what it is live with it.

1 Like

Ok, @AbramBaileyAuD. Time to shut down the forums. Everybody, back to your audis, lay down your money and stfu.

1 Like

Calm down kempo. After a few golden pots we’d be right.

It depends, some people I listen to. Some I dont.

I am willing to open a bet to all other audiologists: When fitting an average inexperienced user with a decent RIC Ask the client, ‘do you prefer the sound of option A or B’.

• A have the mics turned on
  • B have the mics turned off

I bet 9 out of 10 will say B is better :joy:. And you want me to adjust things based off what they tell me? Remember most of my clients are over 75…

For any first fit, I usually only ask adjustment questions at the follow up appointment after 100hours of data logging (85% targets). It is also why i never teach volume control or apps in the initial fitting

Doing it long enough to know you’re chasing your tail otherwise.

Of course, if you’ve had hearing aids before, i’m a lot more receptive. But objective aided measures can often paint a different story to ones perception of whats ‘good’ (performance wise).

2 Likes

I am reporting you as a troublemaker please do all of us a favor and get off of here.

Love the forums, love the community approach (as said). My point is, some people need remember not to over step their understanding and accidentally give false information :ok_hand:.

Not sure how anyone can be antagonistic to that, but you sure did a great job!

You damn sure do not know how to make friends. I have reported you to the admin.

Bang on! Straight shooter :+1:

1 Like

Well in my case you’d be dead wrong. My audi and her intern had several conversations while muting and unmuting me doing various teats and settings changes and I couldn’t make them out in the least whilst muted.

If they had left me at what the software defaulted to I wouldn’t have heard a damn thing yesterday or today. I am only in my second month of wearing aids. She asked me after the setup and first test how it sounded. I told her everything sounds far away, need more volume. We switched domes, reran computerized tests, started fiddling with individual frequency bands, and I started hearing better. I had a conversation with another patient at random while we were testing settings in various spots around the office. I watched TV. We fiddled some more. We did sound field testing, feedback testing, MPO testing, I asked about what things meant, what tbey were doing. I am a practicing systems engineer so it’s not hard to pick up the basic basics, but the nuances would of course take a lifetime.

And now I am taking notes again on my day to day experiences for my follow up. I may not know what the things I am writing down mean but she can parse those out into settings changes for me.

1 Like

I think an area as challenging as hearing aid providing and using takes takes good communication between the fitters and the wearers. And that comes from an attitude of mutual respect and willingness to listen–and I mean with hearts, not hair cells.

This is so true. To fit aids on someone with hearing loss blindly is a losing battle. Communication is the key to a great hearing aid fit.

This forum is full of unhappy HOH people who never got their aids to fit them properly. It’s always a great moment to read about someone that really gets the benefits of hearing aids and can understand speech again.

1 Like

I don’t have time to respond tonight, but I have some thoughts … Will respond and reopen this thread this weekend, but wanted to pause before any hostility erupts. Thank you all for your patience.