Engadget Comparative Review of Phonak Paradise vs. Widex Moment

Reasonably in-depth review comparing features of the current premium Phonak and Widex models from a hearing aid wearer:

1 Like

Yes it’s a good article. I hope this reviewer gets a shot at other brands as well. I’ll like to hear his thoughts on the latest Starkey and Resound stuff too.

1 Like

To be a bit nitpicky, there’s a bit of misinformation, about Phonak. In case someone is interested :slight_smile:

Nope, they don’t seek speaking person, and I think I didn’t read advertisement like that either. Ads are weird, I agree with that and it took me a lot to figure out what they mean, but only after seeing in Target was clear.

They just shift from narrow directional in noise to something like ‘all around in near area’ in order to catch anyone in that narrow circle around you. I can’t say if that circle is smaller or bigger than with their real ear setting for directionality, they don’t provide such info :frowning:

My experience was that I didn’t notice it doing anything for me, so far, but I do wear open domes so I’m very limited in getting the intended experience.

Regular case is micro usb. Maybe smaller travel case is usb c, I think someone wrote that once.

Don’t they all? I mean, stating this as a cool feature seems a bit too much pushing into what’s new feature? But granted, I don’t know when flight mode was introduced, I’d expect at the same time as BT.
Or he wanted to say that widex doesn’t have it?

I wouldn’t call 3 points ‘full control’ :rofl:

Phonak lacks any ‘find my HA’ options, and doesn’t have location based settings or learning about your preferences from you. The latter sounds like a pretty huge difference worth mentioning once again.

I agree with him that both are high tech gadgets and I’d like to hear even more details about differences, eg for me this wasn’t deep enough :rofl:
But definitely interesting read, especially since I didn’t have widex in my ears.

2 Likes

Yes, I’d be interested in reviews of other HA’s. I’m not sure that guy, with having one perfectly good ear, makes the ideal tester of HA’s, though. He also doesn’t say anything about how the HA’s were fit (REM’s???) and what his qualifications might be other than being a tech writer. It might be too techie for Engadget but it would be interesting to see his actual “ideal” fit for each HA brand graphed on a common standard graph (gain for soft, medium, and loud sounds vs. frequency wrt to prescribed algorithm gain for degree of loudness). And maybe too techie for Engadget, too, but a mention of what fitting algorithms are available and what user experience profiles, too. Otherwise, it’s just a throwaway phrase in his review, " … offer all the features you’d expect from a hearing aid, including different hearing modes/profiles,…" I forget whether he mentions provision for new user accommodation. He really launches straight into techie appeal and the article is almost written as if he’s writing for the experienced user considering upgrading rather than the newbies that he says have been reluctant to invest in HA’s but might be induced by the ever-growing list of consumer “features.” Still, I thought the review was pretty good for giving a relative feel in terms of user experience if one went for Phonak Paradise vs. Widex Moment.

1 Like

One problem with Widex is that it won’t cooperate with REM based speech mapping fitting :rofl:
So even if Phonaks were properly fit, I have no clue how to compare the two.

What could be done with any HAs is WRS without aids and fitting the aids until you reach that WRS with them. Plus, compare WRS with aids in noise, and if those numbers are in the ballpark, then we can say they’re fitted for you. IMO.

I think he focused more at gadget experience about both than about hearing experience.

Having one good ear definitely makes you very biased, since you know, you hear well :rofl: (when we speak about focusing on one sound, and forgetting about directionality).

But also, if you have really good ear, then you can hear how HAs really sound like, eg is natural really natural. IMO phonak isn’t :rofl: Ok, granted, streaming is distorted, because speaker is so tinny.
I don’t hear regular stuff on good ear, at least I don’t notice it (I have it on really low gain, almost non existent). Unless it’s really quiet and then I catch some really quiet sounds, so I basically have super ear, but I didn’t pull my bad ear out to test how that small sound is natural or not at that moment. Often I have something else to do at that moment than testing ‘is this sound natural’. Sometimes I plug my good ear to check how it sounds, and it’s bad :smiley: But also, I test in very loud noise and such.

Also, I’d even call this streaming distortion as ‘sharper’, like, really emphasised + I can hear people breathing in their mics (ok, not anymore it was driving me crazy, so I reduced that).
Which isn’t stuff you’d regularly hear. And I feel like sounds are really poking my brain. That’s why I call it sharper, it’s like needles.

So, only one bad ear and testing HAs can give some insight that people with two bad ears cannot feel. But also, HAs aren’t supposed to be worn on good ear either, I mean, algorithms aren’t fitted for that, so we can argue that experience is skewed from the beginning.

And the ultimate one - our ears and brains are unique and how they will work it out really depends. Also, on training you do. I today understand better than when I started trialing marvels in March/April?

1 Like

I was most attracted to Widex because of the “Sound sense learn and sound sense adapt” option
I was thinking of buying a “moment” eventually gave up, I want to wait for Widex with the new bluetooth LE3 codec.

1 Like

That would be my inclination with any brand HA. I’m going to pay so much and keep them so many years (because of the cost), I want to get max value for the $$$$ spent. (and waiting for a similar HA to show up Costco somewhat defeatured means more time twiddling my thumbs waiting for the next big thing to arrive).

or allow time for the bugs to be worked out. :grinning:

1 Like

If you have HAs that helps you hear the best possible, and you’re satisfied with features (at least to some degree), it definitely makes sense to wait with upgrade until they come up with significant set of new features you want. I think 2-3 generations are definitely worth skipping judging by the current offer.

However if your current aids don’t provide proper fit, or are broken, non existing, too weak, then I wouldn’t wait more than a several months chasing new tech, because brain needs input.

By chance Blacky are you a “Widex” user? And if so any thoughts why Widex has not come out with a UP aid in the last few years. Yea, the company merged in back in March/2019, but since then it seems to have fallen behind Phonak and Resound in producing new hearing aid models. One has to wonder who is calling the “shots” at Widex now?

This is correct, the smaller case is USB-C and the regular case, which accepts the add on battery takes micro usb.

I think if you read a few more posts from Blacky it will be quite obvious that Blacky is a Phonak user now but Blacky has been a Widex user from 2015 up until July, 2020: https://forum.hearingtracker.com/u/blacky/summary

(click on a user’s avatar, then click again to get a summary of whatever the user cares to divulge…)

1 Like

Regarding James Trew well written review comparing Phonak Paradise to Widex Moment anyone have any thoughts which aid might come out (first) as an Ultra Power? Both these new aids are getting good reviews and should be popular choice over the next several years. Up grading or should we say “increasing brand choices/selection” should not be difficult since both Phonak and Widex have already established a sound/proven HA platform for each new aid. Guess we find out over the next six months which of these two companies is more aggressive and who (first) taps into the “buying power” of the severe to profound hearing aid group.