End of ultrapower hearing aids era?

This is an interesting topic because my hearing audiogram is almost exactly like @Lostdeaf, and I am currently looking for SP or UP hearing aids. Currently, I am using 7 years old Siemens hearing aids which are really bad. To make matters worse, the mic once failed and got replaced with some copy and after that sound has never been the same. It’s all downhill from there and it’s frustrating.

I am looking at the usual hearing aids which are Naida B and Oticon, however, they both require me to carry an accessory which I don’t want to. I want my hearing aid to directly pair with my iPhone.

I asked Phonak when this tech is coming to their Naida model and they replied, “There is no rough estimate when it will be available. Phonak does not have a date at all when a new Naida will be release. Phonak wants the Naida to have all the features like the Marvel and not just bluetooth connectivity.”

So now I am stuck. Any advice about what I should do? If you look at my audiogram, which SP or UP hearing aids will you recommend which can pair directly with the iPhone?

If you really want direct streaming, go with Resound Enzo 3D.
However, doesn’t new Oticon Xceed allow direct streaming with iPhone? Yes, confirmed Xceed is made for iPhone, as well as Resound Enzo 3D. I think either would be a big improvement over your Siemens.

2 Likes

Thanks @MDB, but none of them are available in my country. I plan to fly to Washington DC for work and will try these hearing aids there. Would you know any audiologists in that city where I can try both Resound Enzo 3D and Oticon Xceed hearing aids? Also, it would be a bonus if they also have Phonak Naida B over there despite it not having Bluetooth connectivity just to compare the sound quality with the other two hearing aids.

Second question, how do audiologists charge in the US? Does taking REM test, configuring different hearing aids for trial, etc cost money? If yes, roughly how much?

Sorry. No clue. I’d suggest using the Hearing Tracker site and look for audiologists in Washington DC (or maybe nearby in Virginia or Maryland) Once you find some likely candidates, give them a call to see what costs would be involved.

1 Like

Behind the Home button in the upper left of each page you can find audiologists in a defined area.

See this post I made in another thread. I think if you want BTE UP aids and MFi to connect wirelessly to an iPhone, your choices are Oticon Xceed, and ReSound ENZO2. If you can get away with a HP receiver your choices are wider and may include a RIC type.

I really want to try Phonak because almost everyone says it’s great for those who have profound hearing loss like me. But I am shocked that none of their hearing aids support MFi tech. Their brand is not listed on Apple’s page: Made for iPhone compatible hearing devices - Apple Support

I am torn if I should get Phonak Naida B right now and then a year or two later try their latest version that will support direct bluetooth connectivity with iPhone. Or should I get Oticon Xceed or Resound Enzo 3D right now and later I can jump to Phonak when they release new SP or UP model with bluetooth connectivity?

Any advice would be welcome and appreciated.

I thought I’d erred in mentioning Resound ENZO3D, but here’s a link. They call it a SuperPower, but it has the 675 battery and fits to 120dB loss.
https://pro.resound.com/en-us/products/hearing-aids/enzo-3d

Perhaps the ENZO3D is a later model than the ENZO2? Don’t know.

I would put the ENZO (whichever one is the later model) ahead of the Naida B. The Xceed is very new. Could it have unexpected issues? Price of course is the other issue.

Forgive me if I’ve misunderstood, I’m not well versed in models vs power levels, but I want to be sure you know that just because an HA isn’t specially certified MFi doesn’t mean it won’t stream to iPhone. Pretty any Bluetooth audio device will connect and stream, hopefully with ease and reliably, but MFi means they can take advantage of features or enhanced technology unique to that standard (such as Live Listen) but even then there may be rough equivalents from the HA maker or 3rd party apps etc.

The key is whether or not they can stream audio wirelessly. MFi is a wireless streaming connection. I started out with an Android phone with my KS8 (MFi) aids. They could wirelessly connect to my android phone, which could act as a wireless remote control to change some settings on the aids. But it could not wirelessly stream phone call audio or music to my aids.

I think my best “advice” would be to see if you qualify for a cochlear implant. All the aids mentioned are good aids. Naidas have ability to lower high frequency sounds to a lower level than the other aids do, but give up ability to stream directly from iPhone. If you just picked one at random it would likely go fine, as long as you have a decent fitter.

1 Like

Thanks for your advice @MDB, appreciate it. But I made a decision a long time ago that I do not want to go for a cochlear implant. They are expensive and I don’t want to undergo the risks associated with it. I also do not feel comfortable with the wire connected to the sides of my head.

To be honest, I am very adjusted to hearing aids, I remember when my current Siemens heading aids were brand new 7 years ago, I could hear so well. And frankly, Siemens isn’t even the top hearing aid provider. I am confident that Phonak, Oticon, and Resound brands will give me quality hearing. Also, hearing aids are improving and with time, I am hopeful they will continue getting better and thus helping me hear better too.

I have seen many folks in this forum talk about this feature but I do not think my hearing aid provider has done this for my existing Siemens hearing aids. If this is possible, it sounds like a game-changer.

1 Like

Frequency lowering sounds great in theory and is helpful for many, including myself. However, many people do not like it and the evidence for it’s effectiveness is sparse.

I’m sorry you’ve ruled out cochlear implant. Of the few who’ve made the decision to do it, the most common response seems to be why they didn’t do it sooner.

1 Like

Cochlear implant is a surrogate of hearing. It split sound spectrum to some bands at high frequencies only (because of short electrode arrays). If compare with vision, it moves all colours to violet and blue with 8-bit picture.

When new computer chips come out, hearing aid manufacturers will usually start with one line of products, then slowly roll out more options. Example: Phonak rolled out Marvel in the Audeo line of device (RIC or receiver-in-canal) first. It then moved into the Sky product (pediatric) line and Bolero (BTE or behind-the-ear) line. We are still waiting for Naida (power) and Virto (custom) products to be available in the Marvel chip. That does not mean that Phonak will never roll it out, just that they tend to do one style of device at a time. Just because they haven’t announced the release of a Naida UP product, does not mean that they’re never going to. And until they do, they have not discontinued the production of their current power model.
For patients who need power, I currently look at Phonak Naida B-UP, ReSound Enzo 3D, Widex Fashion Power, Unitron T Max UP, or the new Oticon Xceed. It depends on the person’s hearing loss, what they are used to, and what features they need.
There seems to also be some misunderstandings regarding cochlear implants on this thread. If anyone is truly interested in learning about cochlear implants, what they are capable of, how they actually work, and who potential candidates may be, I would recommend that you reach out to a local audiologist who works with them for a consultation appointment. Consultations are not a commitment to having surgery, but they can be opportunities to become educated on what treatment options are available and what the risks vs. benefits may be. Best wishes to you!

6 Likes

On this forum is the gossip about that at February 2020 Naida Marvel SP will be released.

That’s the gossip. This also included no Naida Marvel UP aids would be made.
We will see. I hate to think Phonak would drop that aid.

1 Like

The gossip I have heard from Phonak is that they are still working on it. UP hearing aids are harder to make than lower powered hearing aids because of the increased trouble with internal feedback, and because the population is smaller they are often left to last. But given Phonak’s history of supporting UP users, I’d be pretty surprised if they didn’t eventually come out with a new UP aid.

3 Likes

I feel the same way.
Can not imagine Phonak dropping the Naida Up aid.
The source of this gossip seems to know.
We will see.