End of CI Journey

Just had my 2yr checkup and hearing test. Word recognition is 26%. The Dr suggested I have it removed since there has been no benefit. I am not going ahead with the removal only because I had so many issues after surgery. Loss of taste, ringing and numbness on that side which is still there. I was reminded that not everyone is successful. I did wear it 12hrs/day x 7days a week for 1 1/2 yrs but auditory rehab was never in my plan of care from day 1. I have stopped wearing the processor except when I am alone and watching TV . I can’t tolerate wearing it when I am with others trying to have a conversation or driving or in crowds. I thank you all for suggestions but as I said in the beginning I am not tech savvy,don’t own a cell phone or I pad. There was alot I did not know about what was involved post activation. Maybe if I was told things would have been different but too late now. Thanks again for all you supportive comments.

2 Likes

Very sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Best wishes to you Kathy!

Someone who goes to my Deaf Centre here in the UK, still has her implants in her head.

She can’t wear her processors which were Med El, due to Sensory Overload but ENT said there’s no need to have implants removed. She hasn’t worn them for around 5 years.

Just be aware that if your implant isn’t suitable for a MRI, to make sure the important people know you can’t have a MRI still even tho, no external processor to prompt them.

3 Likes