Emotional after new HA’s

Hi,

I’ve just had my first set of HA’s at the age of 39. I’ve had issues with my hearing since being a child and have had to admit to myself that I need the help to hear clearly.
Since collecting them on Tuesday I’ve felt really overwelmed and emotional. I’ve never had ‘proper’ hearing and now the world is so loud and distracting. I know I have to persevere and that it will get better but I kind of wish I could just go back to the quiet I’ve always had. I want to be able to hear but not EVERYTHING. My colleagues are trying to be supportive but their whispering and speaking in quiet voices just makes me feel even worse.

Is this a normal response or am I just being hypersensitive?

Thanks

Welcome. Barring the possibility that your HA’s are set louder than they should…normal. It takes getting used to the real world. It’s a loud world out there. You’ll adjust.

It’s certainly normal to be aware that a lot of sounds that we didn’t used to hear are now startingly loud. It sounds like yours may go beyond that. I think if I were in your situation, I’d ask if the hearing aids have the capability to gradually increase gain over time to allow you to get used to it more gradually.

I have more loss on the left than the right so today I turned the left side down a little which helped to some extent.
It’s the noise when I go outside and the road noise when I’m driving I’m finding really hard.

What brand of hearing aids do you have?

Opticon Zest Synergy.

That sounds normal to me - when I got my first hearing aids it took me about 6 or 7 weeks for me to stop noticing every little sound. Basically, my brain had forgotten how to filter sounds that it didn’t need to hear, so everything was coming through loudly - if that makes sense. I found it difficult to deal with, but I knew I just had to persevere, and I knew the benefits would be worth it - and they definitely are.

I then had a further hearing drop, and needed to get new HAs, and again had to go through a period of readjustment to get used to hearing all the little sounds again. Fortunately, the second time round it was only a couple of weeks, not nearly as long!

I know that some people suggest building up the time that you wear your HAs for, to get used to them, but I don’t think that would have worked for me. I found it best just to power through and wear them for the full day - I think that trying to build it up would only have prolonged the process for me. It might work well for others though.

First of all, what you’re experiencing is completely normal; you are hearing things that you may have never heard or haven’t heard in a long time, so your on sensory overload. Your HA’s should be set up with a volume setting that lets you raise the volume 4 clicks and lower it 8 clicks which can help you in those situations that are too loud. I would start keeping a journal where you list everything that you like and don’t like and when and where you are when you experience it and on each visit to the audiologist you can show them and it will help them make adjustments. Over time you will get used to the increased volume and it will become your new normal. Good luck!

Gill;
8 years ago when I got my first aids, after a gradual hearing loss, I had similar, but probably lesser, feelings.

I wore my new ears, sunrise to sunset from the beginning.

Walking home from Costco, that first day, I was thrilled with my new devices. Until I got home and turned on the tap at the kitchen sink. It near took my head off.

I was easily agitated, but soon learned there were certain environments where I just had to turn down the volume, maybe one or two notches. After a couple weeks everything settled down.

Even now, there are times I relish being able to just turn them off, for that quiet place you mention.

I am still not used to those dang birds with their high pitched yelling and screaming every time I go outside :face_with_raised_eyebrow: J/K I love em!

The first time I heard birds I thought someone was being assaulted!

Thanks to everyone for the reassurance and advice :blush:

I don’t call being being sensitive to new sounds being overly emotional. Despite wearing hearing aids 30 years even now certain noises still get to me repetitive tapping drives me nuts, public toilets flushing it’s the echo of it due to hallow stalls just grates me (I get shivers thinking about it) and people who chink metal spoons in China cups when they stir tea or coffee. Uhmn those 3 are the worst ones for me lol.

When I get new hearing aids it tires me the first week I have to learn new sounds or different sounds added with adapting to a hearing aids settings when your totally new to long forgotten or unheard sounds it’s a steep jump to suddenly hear everything at once. Parhaps like others suggest start lowering the volume Audi’s always told me start on lowest then turn it up till can hear ok but not so loud it’s on full all the time.

Your not alone on this When I heard rain the first time I bawled my eyeballs out I was shocked but happy and it was embarrassing I had a whole car full of people trying to console me not realising it was hugely emotional because I had not heard that in YEARS. Now when I hear rain it’s just another sound but first few times I’d tear up till my brain got used to how it sounded through my HAs.

Oarg on whispering people would me honestly I find it disprespectful period! Whispering to me just sounds like an bunch of ssssss mixed with wind noise lol even now if someone tries I glare and say don’t whisper I can lipread. In terms or quieter voices is that normal for them? or is it a office thing? Or because they are now adapting to maybe the fact you can hear better, I’ve found people either go to one or the other end in voice volume if unused to a HA user they will either semi shout or assume that because a person wears hearing aids talk very quietly thinking it will be louder than it actually is to the wearer. If any of the above just remind them I know I wear hearing aids but the very quiet talking & whispering at me is hard to understand and off putting. (I’ve met a few dumb people in my lifetime who’ve tried to test what I can hear like I’m a lab rat for their amusment it gets stopped fast)

Trying to be ‘helpful’ they told the kids I work with (I’m a teacher) that they had to be quiet because my ears are ‘sensitive’ which just drew all their attention to my HA’s which I was waiting for them to discover organically.
I’ve told the kids not to worry about noise because I can turn them down. I then burst into tears when I had to bring it up in a meeting. I don’t cry often and never at work. Everything was just getting on top of me.

Hey ho, live and learn!

@gill_dw101 I will say sometimes the best intentions of others without realising it can be a hindrence. It’s a good thing you spoke up as I’m sure it’s a learning experience for you and your coworkers and the kids. I’ve found young kids to be naturally curious and if asked about them I will talk about hearing aids and why I wear them. Are they young would you be able to make an hour where you could talk to the kids as a group about your hearing aids and make it fun for both you and your students that way they can learn too! Keep that chin up you will get there just give yourself time it takes a while to adapt also if certain noises situations are an issue you can talk to your Audi and ask if they can tweak programming to accommodate things.

In 2007, when l got my new pair of starkey hearing aids, l was working in a clean room where there was another room full of vacuum pumps and stuff.The first year, l went back to the same HIS 11 times to adjust the aids. Trying to hear speech with less machine noise.

It definitely takes some time, though don’t feel the need to rush to full volume. So, turn down the volume to a comfortable level and over the course of a few weeks adjust it upwards to the prescribed volume. Some hearing aids can do this automatically if set to do so by the audiologist.

That said, keep in mind that sometimes hearing aids are set a bit too aggressively, and even though we have lesser hearing, our ears can be just as or more sensitive to loud sounds as normal-hearing people. So if you find some noises remain too intrusive, then broach it with your audiologist and ask them to please reduce the amplification on loud sounds.

Good luck, and hopefully you’ll find them helpful over time!

Do try to hang in there and get used to all those extra, annoying sounds that you now hear. I waited so long to get hearing aids that after almost a year of trying to get used to all the extra noise, I have just about decided that I am better off without the aids. I just can’t get accustomed to the shrill, tinny sound of the world as experienced through my aids. On top of that, I don’t understand people any better than before. Most do adjust in time. I suspect it is like breaking in a pair of shoes. Pretty uncomfortable at first.

I worked in a clean room as well, only this was the late 80’s. I know exactly what you mean. My solution was to actually remove my aid altogether. Because people had to yell to be heard over the noise, that threshold was enough for me to hear, while the factory noise stayed in the background. HA’s back then did not handle speech in noise at all.

You might try turning down the volume temporarily and easing it back up over time as you get used to them. In any case, don’t be my neighbor. He couldn’t (wouldn’t) tolerate the noise and now his HAs are sitting on his night stand while we all shout at him so he can hear us. It is just sad to see that.

I am new to this as well and adjusting to the sound is a challenge. I mostly use an auto program and turn it down a notch or two depending on the circumstances. At my last fitting I ask to have the volume reduced but after doing so my word recognition score dropped to under 50% so she moved it up to the recommended setting based on my audiogram. I obviously need the high volume setting to improve my hearing. In the quiet of my house and just talking to my wife turning the aids down manually works just fine.

I don’t use my aids when watching a movie for that I use wireless headphones which imo offer superior sound quality. Hang in there you will get used to the “new normal”.