Electone "Tango 3P"... anyone own/use one of these?

I’m curious as they seem to be reasonable; like $425.00 a pair and the reviews I’ve read like them. The problem is of course that many ads now online are intentionally “made to look like” a review when really its just the co. doing their thing.

Is the “3p” the only Tango model?? or are there others. The EL-111 looks just like the Tango but is quite a bit less money.

So anyone out there have/use one of these?? either model?

compliments and regards, mitch

This initial post 11/08 but see my later addendum 4/09 on how I adjusted my Tango 3p’s-- down about 6 inches:

I bought a pair of Electone Tangos on ebay for $469. These are among the lower-level Electone models, MSRP $2,400/pair, and are non-programmable. See their website at www.electoneonline.com
Electone is a American division of Siemens of Germany, and I found them listed as a subsidiary under Siemens German-language website, but Electone strangely doesn’t advertise much that they are Siemens.

These certainly appear to be high quality digital aids even though they’re not the much more expensive (to $6,000/pair) digitally programmable type. In addition to the regular volume adjustment, they have 3 trimmers to adjust with a very tiny jeweler’s screwdriver: Gain, Low Frequency and Automatic Gain Control.

I am only just barely needing hearing aids according to my audiologist, have what I believe is typical high frequency rolloff loss, and I’m pretty sure these will be fine as I gradually need them more over coming years. They do definitely amplify sound to my ears.

As I try them I’m reminded that there are three levels of imperfection in hearing aids: 1) they’ll be better after getting them properly adjusted; 2) they’ll become better as I get used to wearing them; 3) hearing aids are always a problem no matter how long you wear them.

But I need to adjust those trimmers and am not sure how to do it. A simple guide to adjusting them is needed but search though I have for hours on the web, I can’t find such a guide. The little info given re the trimmers is imperfect- such as the AGC trimmer is indicated to have steps 1, 2 & 3 of attenutation plus off but the diagram shows it turns from “minimum” to “maximum” output, I don’t know which way to turn it- does “maximum output” mean step 1 maximum attenuation or off maximum volume. There must be tests using specified kinds of sound to use in adjusting each trimmer but I don’t know what those tests are. And it seems like there would be a best sequence of which one to adjust first, which second, etc.

I plan to pay a hearing aid sales store to adjust them for me, knowing that person will badmouth these aids, primarily because he/she didn’t sell them to me, and try to get me to buy a set from them at very much higher price. But surely I can weather that and get help in adjusting them. I’ll try to remember to come back on here and report after I do that.

4/09 How I adjusted my Tango 3P’s, my suggested method to others:

Adjust Electone Tango 3P BTE Hearing Aid with Open Fitting Set

I’m the one who wrote the comment 2nd from the top on

which starts out, “I bought a pair of Electone Tangos on ebay for $469.”

We very seriously need a set of professional audiologist instructions for adjusting these hearing aids:
1- What kind of sound should we be listening to while adjusting?
2- What sequence of the controls would be best- which first, which last?
3- What initial trial setting might be best for typical hearing loss?

But not finding any such instructions on the web, here are my suggestions, the way I did it.

I tried to write these very carefully so you’d understand, so this is quite long, but fear not, it’s really quite simple, as you will see after you’ve done it once.

To adjust the controls, use a very small 3/64" jeweler’s screwdriver. You buy jeweler’s screwdriver sets ($10?) at stores like Radio Shack or many drugstores, usually a blue plastic box with a clear folding lid. Buy a jeweler’s magnifier loupe ($10?) at the same time so you can see the tiny labels identifying the controls-- 4x isn’t enough for me, even 10x only barely enables me to read them.

First clean your ear canal of wax (cerumen). Do this at your own risk (doctors recommend against this), but I use Q-Tips very carefully, twisting them continuously as I insert them and as I pull them out. Absolutely never force the Q-Tip!! Or push it in to where it causes discomfort! Always do this yourself, never have someone else do it, because you yourself can feel any discomfort, and you probably will hear the increased rubbing sound when the Q-Tip is near your ear-drum letting you know when to quit, when the Q-Tip is “at the bottom”. Always control the Q-Tip yourself, NEVER have someone else control the Q-Tip (unless that person is a doctor or nurse of course).

Then trim the hair from your ear canal, it may help your hearing and the fitting of the Open Ear Tip into the canal, and it may also help reduce itching irritation. You can buy these completely safe $10- $20 rotating trimmers made for the purpose, spend some time inserting the trimmer many times into each ear, as they tend to bend many hairs down rather than cutting them, cutting only a few hairs on each insertion, but doing many insertions will get most of the hairs.

The door protecting the controls is between the volume rocker switch and the telephone push-button. The door swings open on a hinge at its telephone-push-button end. Open the door exposing the controls by gently inserting the screwdriver tip into the tiny slot hole near the plus end of the volume rocker switch and gently prying upward. The little door will swing open on its hinge which is at its end at the telephone push-button.

Don’t ever adjust any control (here or elsewhere in your life) to the extreme end of its range either clockwise or counter-clockwise. Controls sometimes malfunction if put at their extreme end positions. Leave all controls always between the 5% and 95% positions.

You’ll have to try various settings over several weeks to get them the way you want them. But here is my approach to the initial trial setting.

The NH Low Frequency control is at the top, nearest the telephone push-button. Most people like me have high frequency roll-off hearing loss and don’t need low frequency amplification. I need low frequencies to be just passed through at normal level, so for my initial setting I first gently turn this control through its full range so I know where its end positions are, then put it to its counter-clockwise end position, then turn it clockwise to about 1/3 of the way toward its clockwise end-- on mine this is at about the 10 o’clock position.

The MPO AGC Automatic Gain Control is at the bottom, nearest the volume rocker switch. This control reduces the loudness of loud sounds down toward the loudness of normal sounds. One of my hearing problems just without hearing aids is loud sounds are too loud. Also the biggest problem I’ve had trying other people’s hearing aids is that loud sounds are much too loud. So I want loud sounds reduced as much as possible down toward normal loudness. The most reduction in loud sounds is at the maximum counter-clockwise position. So gently turn this control through its entire range to learn where its end positions are, then turn to its counter-clockwise end, then turn it clockwise just a tiny bit to just a small amount, 5%, toward its clockwise end. On mine this is at about the 7:30 o’clock position.

The G Gain Control is the left control, at middle between the loudness rocker switch and the telephone push button. This control adjusts loudness.

An explanation is needed:
1- The “outside” main rocker loudness switch has eight steps between maximum and minimum loudness, and increases or decreases by one step whenever you press the up or down ends of the loudness rocker switch.
2- Whenever you turn your hearing aid on by rotating the battery into closed position, your loudness is automatically set to the middle of the eight steps.
3- You need to adjust the Gain Control screw so that, whenever you turn your hearing aid on by putting in the battery, it turns on at your normal preferred loudness setting.

So before adjusting the G Gain Control screw, first turn the hearing aid off by rotating its battery fully out, count to 10, then turn the hearing aid back on by pushing the battery in, so its rocker loudness switch is at its automatic middle position.

Now by trial and error, adjust the left-side (middle-up-and-down) G Gain screw until loudness is what you want for normal use. Try it under different listening sound conditions, listening to different sounds. For testing I used the TV or the car radio. (We really need professional audiologist instructions for this.) I try it at different television volume settings. It’s very important to try it also with different added background noises, like strong wind or a fan or road noise in a car at highway speeds, because such background noise reduces our ability to hear far more than most people realize.

For me, I adjusted the G Gain screw so that I could just almost tell that it was on, sort of just below where I could barely tell it was on, but high enough that I could hear a difference when I put it on. I can clearly tell it is on if I talk into my hand with my hand cupped toward that side. This initial attempt to adjust the G Gain screw put it at about 12 o’clock for me.

Readjust No. 1: After using it a bit, I found the high frequencies in my left ear, like “tinny” noises, were too loud. So I adjusted the left ear NH Low Frequency screw (at the top, next to the telephone button) a bit higher, to about the 12 o’clock position, thereby moving the total or center of the amplified sounds toward the low frequencies and away from the high frequencies, and readjusted the G Gain screw down from about 12 o’clock to 11 o’clock. And so far this seems about right.

4/9/09 Readjust No. 2: High frequencies in left ear (rattling newspaper pages) are still too loud, so I adjusted the left ear NH Low Frequence (top) screw higher to 2 o’clock, and the G Gain (left side) screw lower to 10 o’clock. This seems about right.

My left is now: NH= 65% 2 o’clock, G= 35% 10 o’clock, AGC= 5% 6:30 o’clock
My right is now: NH= 35% 10 o’clock, G= 50% 12 o’clock, AGC= 5% 6:30 o’clock

I attached, uploaded two photos, one of the door or cover hiding the screw controls, and one of the screws at my settings, but I don’t see those photos here. Hope you can see them.

Good luck!!

And it you find real professional audiologist instructions for adjust the Electone Tango, PLEASE let us all know where to find those instructions!

Draw your self a diagram of the position of the screws before you start to try them. Better yet, take a close-up digital photo of them.

Then, make careful notes as you adjust one screw at a time, and only by a very small amount. After each adjustment step, try the aid to see what the result is. That way, you can figure out what the effect is of each change, and “feel your way through” the process without instructions. If you get too far astray, you can set them back per your diagram or photo.

It will likely take several sessions of trial and error to adjust them this way, but I expect it’s possible.

Good luck trying to get a hearing aid dealer to adjust them. My guess is that no one will touch them. They’ll only want to sell you some of theirs.

Hi folks, my name is Doug in Australia. I am testing Siemens pure 500s issued last week by workcover , following a successful claim for work related
hearing loss via solicitors. I am 63 and have worked in power stations and noisy engineering factories most of my time. I have managed to adjust the 5 program Remote Control and setup the teck box on the TV.
We cannot get the bluetooth reciever to pair with my Nokia 2630 phone.
That will be a bonus as just hearing clocks ticking again , birds chirping
everywhere I go and the distinct voices and creaky floorboards remind
me I’m not alone. I posted more info on another line under new posts.
I will keep in touch online as I settle down with the new gear, cheers and good luck

I bought 32 ch. from AccuToneUSA for $589 each, 4 Programs, telephone, Volume Control. Comes with 1 yr International warranty.

And now I dont have that Big thing behind my ears.

They are an american group of technicians living in Peru. So I shipped them My Ear Impressions and NO UP FRONT MONEY, just a signed agreement to buy.

Got them back to me in the mail about 20 days latter.

I met the Owner in Person when I was traveling to Peru, and I was sooooo excited about his presentation and the quality of they products…

Electone has great BTE, but if your buying a discount “Name Brand” I would have to caution you. Is this second hand, or possibly a repair job thats being resold???

hearing aids are cheaper in South america.
I had seen Phonak una at less than 500$
for the money paid i will take phonak any dau

I got a pair of these last month on ebay (when microsoft live was running the 25% rebate program). I have mild loss in one ear and moderate in the other, and I must say they’ve been wonderful. I had a set of ITEs for years that I only wore occassion because they made my ears itch and didn’t make much of a difference in my hearing.

Plus, I wanted one with a T-coil (to use with an amplified stethoscope) and I was told that my ITEs could not be updated to have one.

There’s definitely more background noise than with my ITEs, but they’re much more comfortable and worth the money ($399 for the pair). I even had to send one back because it died after a week and they got a new one back to me less than a week after I returned it.

Hi. Rynegold.

I am a first time poster.

I ordered 2 Electone(Siemens) Tango 3P’s tonight on Ebay.

Like you, I read a bunch of nifty things about the Tango Line. Both Ezines and forums said good things.

There is a Model 2p, 3P, 2SP and 3SP. The Tango is one bump up from the more basic Electone Model EL111. One level up from the Tango is the Rio, then the Terra and finally the multi channel Figaro’s. Other than the EL 111’s, all the rest have multiple products in their line. They are all BTE’s, with the EL 111 being only available in the open fit design. The EL 111 is rated as Moderate to severe issues; The Tango 3P is available as the tradional BTE, or the open fit. The “P” as in Tango P stands for Power, while the “SP” stands for Super Power (You gotta love those Marketing folks and their product names!:smiley: ) Both the EL 111 and the Tango lines are non programmable.

The “P” Model is for moderate to severe issues, while the “SP’s” are for Severe to Profound. The Tango line has the telecoil and one more trimmer (3) than the EL 111 (2). There are other refinements in the Tango and above that may or may not be useful to different folks with different needs.

I’ll post again when I’ve used them for a few weeks.

Thanks for being here.

Bob

I bought my first pair of hearing aids, online, a few weeks ago. They were Electone Tango 3P’s. The BTE open fit made this possible. Thank heavens the FDA allowed online hearing aid purchases. I love my online purchase for the following reasons;

I could not have afforded them through an ENT or audiologist. I spent 15 hours online researching the different makes / models of hearing aids and pro versus con of online buying. I chose BTE open fit. My hearing issue was mild to moderate with high pitch difficulty.

However, online purchases are definitely not for everyone. (IMHO) I would go to an ENT or audiologist for the following reasons;

You have profound / severe hearing loss; you are not comfortable buying this item online; you believe you may have a medical issue associated with your hearing loss; you feel more comfortable (and can afford) local personalized service; you are not willing to spend the time necessary researching to make an informed decision; an open fit BTE is not for you (you need a custom earmold)

My current Danovox ITE is nearly 14 years old, and it badly needs to be replaced. Due to no insurance, limited funds, and absolute disgust with these hearing aid “stores” and their ludicrous sales pitches, I am considering buying an aid from eBay.

I’m currently eyeing the Electone EL 111 (or perhaps the Tango), but I really don’t know where to start. Is an open fit BTE aid the same as these aids with the little dome ear pieces, and do they fit as well as the standard earmold? Will I need to have this particular aid adjusted by a professional?

I have a mod/mod-severe hl, and I’m really wanting an inexpensive, temporary aid that I can wear out of the box. I say temporary b/c I already have one middle ear implant and am biding time until hopefully the second implant.

Any info on the Electone aids would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Gone78
Please see my above 2 posts for answers to some of your questions. In addition, go to www.electoneonline.com/ for more information. I purchased mine from EBay / Clarion Hearing Solutions. I wouldn’t hesitate to contact them with a question or concern.

Bob

I have a Tango 3P and I have had 2 different audies try to discorage me from using it. Or maybe three, depending on how I count. Yet one refused to help me, one did not take my insurance, and one I only talked to on the phone. I feel greatly encoraged after reading the posts about this particular HA!

It would seem that the Oticon Delta (one version) and the Tango 3P have a (very) similar fitting range. Yet, I was led to believe otherwise. Anybody out there know anything about this kind of thing?

i would not compare both instruments, tango is a basic digital aid…
Delta is an pure rite for open fittings… Delta has been replace by dual (mini m5)

I would tend to think tango would be a lot cheaper, if you are looking pure price perhaps resound escence or even trimflex could be real cheap

Oh, so the Dekta has been REPLACED? I knew it was a RITE instrument, but I was unaware that it had been replaced. Um, I DID wonder if I was comparing apples and oranges, though. The person who was trying to get me into one mentioned it to my “signing psychologist.” She seemed genuinely concerned that I would (further?) damage my hearing by using the Tango 3P, yet she did not lift a finger to help me. He brought it up in a session. I was UPSET for DAYS and DAYS. I felt hurt and betrayed. I mean, that place does NOT accept my insurance! She TOLD me that! I have a form of Medicaid, so HOW could I afford something she is selling? She almost destroyed the…“therapeutic relationship” that I have very slowly and very carefully developed with the psychologist, who is Hard-Of-Hearing himself. I was sick in my gut for DAYS.

Another audiologist broke my heart last Monday. And the ENT scared me to death. Practically yelled at me. Big, booming voice. His voice was so loud he sounded distorted. Ugh. Now they wanna give me an ABR. What for? Sigh.

Oh, so the Delta has been REPLACED? I knew it was a RITE instrument, but I was unaware that it had been replaced. Um, I DID wonder if I was comparing apples and oranges, though. The person who was trying to get me into one mentioned it to my “signing psychologist.” She seemed genuinely concerned that I would (further?) damage my hearing by using the Tango 3P, yet she did not lift a finger to help me. He brought it up in a session. I was UPSET for DAYS and DAYS. I felt hurt and betrayed. I mean, that place does NOT accept my insurance! She TOLD me that! I have a form of Medicaid, so HOW could I afford something she is selling? She almost destroyed the…“therapeutic relationship” that I have very slowly and very carefully developed with the psychologist, who is Hard-Of-Hearing himself. I was sick in my gut for DAYS.

Another audiologist broke my heart last Monday. And the ENT scared me to death. Practically yelled at me. Big, booming voice. His voice was so loud he sounded distorted. Ugh. Now they wanna give me an ABR. What for? Sigh.

The delta has not been discontinued by there is now a new product
call the Dual Mini or the Dual Pro, which cost are equal to the delta
but it would offer more features. For example the Delta 4,000 has 4 channels while the new Dual Mini 5 has 6. The delta 4000 does not have datalogging while the new Deal mini has and so on.

Delta is an old instrument (it was released back in 2004) so it is natural that
Oticon has set new features…

I do not see the Tango 3p and delta in the same cathegory of instrument.
This I would think most people in the forum would agree.

Now that you talk about money, are you aware the Delta has a #10 batery
and it runs out every 4 or 5 days?

Thank you for taking the time for your posts of 11/01/08 and 4/09/09. I have the Tango HA’s and love them. Like you, I bought them on eBay for about the same price.

Bob

I purchased a pair of Electone Tango 3P from shopclarityhearingaids.com and have found them to be an excellent value. Although they are about twice as large as the $2000 Costco Rexton GEM hearing aids, they are also less than a quarter the price! Although I liked the Costco aids, I found that I was only wearing them on specific occasions when I was meeting with people or going out to movies. I have high range hearing loss so can hear okay for the most part but need help when speech is soft or there is loud background noise. The Costco Rexton did fine on the first part (amplification) but not so good with the second since it tended to amplify the noise as much as the speech. I find the Electone Tango 3P is fairly similar in this regard - it does a good job of amplifying speech in low noise environments but also amplifies the noise in noisy environments like restaurants. Unlike the Costco aids which must be adjusted by an audiologist in the store, the Electone Tango 3P can be manually adjusted using a jeweler’s screwdriver. There are good instructions on this forum for how to adjust them and the process is quite simple, although involves some trial and error. Overall sound clarity goes to the Costco aids, largely because the speaker is in the ear canal instead of in the BTE unit. I should also point out that Siemens makes both of these hearing aids and it’s likely the Electone is an older generation.

Overall I would highly recommend the Electone Tango 3P if you have mild high range hearing loss, only want to wear hearing aids on special occasions instead of all day, and want to save money (lots!). For the latter, the price difference for a smaller and more advanced aid like the Costco Rexton GEM may be worth the price difference ($1500). I also recommend online shopping through shopclarityhearingaids.com. Rob is very helpful and friendly.

I have a 3P that has given me excellent service. I purchased the “open fit” unit with the ventilated ear bud.

Due to the amount of my loss I had to turn the gain up to very high levels. This gave me feedback problems. I decided that I would get an ear mold to get a seal and reduce the feedback problem.

I made an appointment with “Hear Here” in Foley Alabama. I explained my problem and told them what I wanted to do. The audioligist said lets try this first.

He replaced the vented earbud with a #10 solid and the feedback went away. I had the volume set at 11 clicks and now I am at 6. Speech is clearer, and less distorted, there is NO feedback. In short I am one happy camper. He also gave me 2 extra tubes and earbuds. He thought it was hilarious that I bought it on Ebay.

Now heres the cropper. He would not take any money. He said they make their money on surgery and significant problems and told me to come back when I had a real issue.