Easy Line Remote not working with Pixel 6

My KS 10’s were working fine with my Pixel 6 until the January update when the primary aid began showing a much more rapid battery drain. When I tried re-pairing to see if it made any difference it took multiple attempts for both bluetooth and the Easy Line Remote App - for each attempt I had to power off and restart aid. Once finally paired seems to work. Have reported battery drain to Google Disability Group.

That’s interesting. My right aid had had battery troubles and was away getting repaired when the January update for my Pixel 6 showed up. When I went to pick up the replacement aid (the fitter said it had had the internals completely replaced but had been assigned the original Serial#), I had her bump up the volume just a little. And now the right aid’s battery runs down more quickly than before – and even down to zero a few days ago – which I assumed was because of the higher volume setting. I have removed the R-KS aid as the “keep unlocked” device on my Pixel 6 and my Samsung tablet, but that does not seem to have helped.

I reset, not just rebooted, my right aid, and I think the battery life has improved: after about seven hours, including some streaming, the left aid is at 69% and the right one at 57%.

I “spoke” too soon: I put the right aid in the charger for about 15 minutes during the day, but it was still down below 10% by the time I was ready to go to bed.

Thanks for the update

Yesterday’s (2/7/22) Android update seems to have fixed the problem: the left aid is at 90% and the right one at 86% after 5 hrs.

1 Like

Well, no, not totally: the discharge rate has been reduced but is still not back to where it was.

We got another update on our Pixel 6 phones today (2/18/22), and the app seems to connect a little more quickly, but it remains to be seen whether the battery discharge rate has been reduced further.

I’m still in the weeds with my KS10s and Pixel 6. Have now done all of the phone updates including both February updates. Still cannot connect the left aid. Also, the easy line app no longer connects to the aids (small loss). Have tried pairing dozens of times without any luck.
Am very disappointed with Google. If the aids work with a 3 year old pixel, why can’t they make the phone work the these aids? Have reported my problems Google disability, but have no idea what that does.

Believe it or not your phone bluetooth connection is working as it should (assuming you hear phone calls and streaming through both aids). The KS10’s connect to a primary hearing aid (usually the right one, but can be changed by your audi) which then communicates with the non-primary aid. You phone will show only the primary aid is connected.

As to connecting to the app, if you can describe the process you used in the failed attempts perhaps there might be an alternate method I could suggest you try.

If you don’t have an excessive battery drain on your right (primary) aid since the January update you are fortunate.

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I went to my audi yesterday and (after a lot of tries) managed to connect easy line to the aids. He told me that I should only see the R-KS connection. I didn’t argue, but I did see both R-KS and L-KS BT connections on my Pixel 3. I verified that when I got home. I’m also still having bad battery drain on the right aid which never happened until now. I also used to get dual BT status reports on battery consumption. Now it seems to only report the Right side aid. Left aid always looks like it is not getting the drain.

Reported my current status to Google/disability. Got the following response:

"I understand - it means that the issue has not been fixed and there is still friction between your hearing aids and the 6. It sounds like despite being connected to the phone, your hearing aids are still searching and searching for Bluetooth discovery, resulting in an increased battery consumption.

I am going to bring this up with the escalation team to see if they’ve gotten similar reports about this".

I hope we are not the only ones complaining about this. But, I’m sure that I’ve always had this problem … I got my new phone in very early December.

On my Pixel 6 I cannot pair the L-KS device if I try. In the Target software the Audi/HIS is supposed to select either the left or the right aid as the one with which the phone connects.

What happens if you un-pair the left aid – or if you un-pair both, then re-pair the right aid?

@Z300M

You won’t be able to connect your left unless it for the App. For the phone, 99% of the time, the master is the right.

I’m not complaining about not being able to pair the left aid: I was responding to the guy who reported that he sees both aids as connected via Bluetooth.

There are three connections. Two are only used by the app. One is used for streaming. So if the app is active, you may see them all connected.

WH

My Pixel 3 shows both aids as connected, I was surprised by this when I first got the KS10s. I got a Pixel 6 in early December and was surprised that it only showed the Right aid as connected. I didn’t expect a difference between two Pixel phones both running Android 12. I’ve had a lot of difficulty connecting the easy line app to the Pixel 6. My audi fixed that on Tudesday. The aids do work. I can receive calls and listen to music. But something is NOT right and I believe the problem is with the Pixel 6. I’m up to date with Pixel updates. I’m working with Google/disability to resolve this.

The right aid burns much more power when using the Pixel 6. At the end of the day I have about 9% remaining on the right aid and 37% remaining on the left aid. That’s a big difference. When using the aids with the Pixel 3 the end of day numbers are about 40% for both with the right aid about 1 or 2 points below the left.

The pixel 3 is now my wife’s phone so I’m stuck with the P6. It’s a nice phone except for its problems with the KS10s. I

Just loaded the March 21 update for the Pixel 6. BIG CHANGE. The easy line app now shows separate volume controls for each aid AND the power levels are about the same for each aid. I will need to see how this all works by Wednesday after the aids have had a chance to restart /reset and get a full days activity. I had been putting them into the charger after a full day with the right aid showing red and the left aid amber. The easy line app always has them with the right aid betwee 3 & 12 percent with the left aid betwee 30 & 40 percent. I have a feeling that I’m out of the woods. Phew!..

I got the March update for my Pixel 6 yesterday, but the right-hand aid’s battery was already well down by that time. This morning I decided to take further steps to ensure that the update would “take” as far as the HA was concerned, so I first reset the aid (looong press, then restart it by putting it back in the charger) and then did a “forget device,” intending to re-pair it, but at first the phone could discover no BT devices – until I rebooted the phone. I hope to see a significantly reduced battery usage in the right HA by the end of the day.

The display of separate volume level sliders for each aid is not the default, and can be toggled on/off by clicking the little graphic below them.

Wow. If this isn’t a job for a fulltime HA geek, I dunno what is! Our industry is crying out for geeks - either affiliated with a dispenser/audi or independent to help us make the most of our aids without having to go back to the dispenser/audi (whose time is better spent on fittings and patient-related issues).

I want to explore a newer option than my Phonak Marvels, but am daunted by the number of things that could go wrong. What if my new aids won’t work with my One+ 9Pro cell phone on Android? What if the audi isn’t knowledgeable about programs and options to get me the best listening experience? What if I have issues with TV connectors?

I just think that there’s a market for tech geek to do this for us. Remotely, even better!

I wish I could reinvent my 66-yr-old self to take on the challenge. There could be certification programs, workshops, a whole new industry born.

My self is a good bit older than yours, but, as I posted later, I simply retrieved the data from an earlier session and saved everything again. The problem has not recurred: perhaps the subsequent firmware update took care of it.

There are folks who do this as volunteers. But it is hard enough getting people to pay for HAs. People with money will find a way to get what they want either way.

WH