Is anyone else here allergic to earmolds? I have reacted to two sets so far. My first set (in the latest round of hearing related things) which were silicon, and now my last set which were something else. I don’t know the name of the material but they were pinkish and not really soft but also not really hard. My first reaction just made my ear canals red and bumpy. My reaction the most recent time made my ear canals swell shut around the molds, made them red, itchy and sore too. The reactions have been coming on faster and stronger since I got the molds on Thursday, to the point where the last time I had to go to the hospital and be given meds to stop the reaction.
These are my fourth set of molds in the last 7 months because we can’t seem to find something that works. My first set were silicon skeleton molds, I really liked them until I developed an allergic reaction to them. After those I got acrylic skeleton molds. Those ones weren’t fitting quite right so we did a remake, those ones worked really well. Then as my hearing got worse and we adjusted the aids accordingly feedback became an issue and my audiologist decided I needed full shell molds. Those ones are the most recent ones that caused a horrific reaction. I am not putting them back in my ears ever again. We tested them on Thursday morning, I sat there for 15 minutes with them in my ears and she checked to see if there was a reaction and there wasn’t so we figured I wasn’t allergic to them. The allergy has developed and worsend since then.
I know I am allergic to silicon, latex, and whatever the current molds are made out of. Are there solutions for a profoundly deaf person with such allergies when it comes to earmolds?