Earlens hearing aids

Glucas,

Thanks for your suggestion. I’ll do that when I check out the OPNs.

–Steve

Earlens claims to be able to amplify in the range of 100 Hz to 10 KHz.

Most hearing aid manufacturers’ receivers span 250 Hz to 8 KHz…

So the question is what this extended range between 100-250 Hz, and 8-10 KHz buys you?

For people with hearing loss, they mostly have ski slope type hearing loss, so they can hear well in the low end (like you and I), so the 100-250Hz extended range is not useful for them.

The 8-10 KHz is nice to have, but the question is whether it makes a big enough difference to justify the very high cost, and the complexity of the fitting and maintaining the lens on the ear drum long term or not? Well, for speech, it isn’t for sure. For music, I think it’s questionable.

Surely there’s a lot of sounds in music above 8 KHz. But for a true music aficionado, they’re not going to be happy enough with an 8-10 KHz extension. For that kind of money and complexity, they’re demand 8-20 KHz. extension. They want to be able to restore their hearing to almost perfect.

For a regular Joe who also likes music, but not as demanding as a true music aficionado, I suspect that Joe wouldn’t shell out that kind of money and put up with the fitting complexity just to extend to only 2 more KHz (from 8 to 10).