Eargo Neo does not meet prescriptive targets?

The most recent review from Dr. Cliff said that when testing the Eargo Neo using REM, it did not meet the prescriptive targets above 4hz. The targets were not identified.

Here is my big question. Why doesn’t the Eargo Neo hit the prescriptive target for high frequency hearing loss 4hz and above? Seems like 4 to 8 hz would be the most critical range to cover?

Do I need to see an audiologist before calling or buying Eargo?
Nope, no need to call an audiologist before calling or buying Eargo. Our team of pros here will work closely with you to understand your hearing situation and determine if Eargo is right for you.
Do I need an audiogram to buy Eargo?
Nope, you don’t need an audiogram to buy Eargo. Our team of pros here will work closely with you to understand your hearing situation and determine if Eargo is right for you.

Because they’re not really hearing aids. They’re incredibly overpriced amplifiers.

Also, you’re confusing Hertz (Hz) and Kilohertz (kHz). 4-8 kHz is the range that you’re suggesting is important. 4-8 Hz is very low frequency bass to shake the room.

2 Likes

With all the resources Ergo has, I feel like they could easily adjust their software and hardware to ensure that their hearing aids have enough volume in the 4-8 kHz range. I recall several years ago they were offering to custom program earlier versions of their hearing aid to an audiogram…but their website is silent about that now.

“Eargo (supposed) aids” are close enough in price to real instruments one would be foolish not to just go a bit more money and get something worthwhile. (or just go to Amazon and buy equally dismal amplifiers for a fraction of the cost)

1 Like

What hearing aid so you wear and why ?

This is Steve Eagon, Audiologist and Head of Sales Development for Eargo. Dr. Cliff and I spoke about his REM test on Eargo Neo. First, Eargo uses it’s own proprietary algorithms in designing the 4 sound profiles within the hearing aid. Running a REM test using a standard target and NOT the one Eargo designed will show some frequencies not meeting target. This is not an indicator of Eargo’s performance. In addition, trying to match unrealistic targets between 5000 and 8000 Hz is not critical in determining client success using hearing aids. The philosophy shared about REM is that it is a helpful tool when fitting hearing aids but not the Holy Grail at determining a client’s success. Hearing Care Professionals everywhere have fit numerous clients who had an ideal REM fitting but didn’t like the performance of the hearing aids and therefore returned them or put them in a drawer. What matters most is client acceptance, perceived benefit and ultimate regular use of their hearing aids.

Lastly, Eargo’s team of hearing professionals have the ability to make programming changes to a person’s Eargo hearing aids via a web app that communicates through a person’s smart phone and Bluetooth connection to the charger.

My name is Steve Eagon and I’m an audiologist and Head of Sales Development at Eargo. First, Eargo is a “real hearing aid.” Our Neo HiFi and other devices are class 1 medical devices regulated by the FDA and not an OTC or PSAP. Our digital processor and performance characteristics compete and even surpass some of the Big 5 manufacturers. We design our own algorithms based on decades of research at the National Acoustic Labs and our own clinical research to achieve great success for our clients. Our noise reduction processing and feedback manager is quite sophisticated.

Eargo also provides an app for clients to make changes to the listening programs and also basic sound adjustments. If further modifications are warranted, our team of licensed hearing professionals can send frequency response changes via a web app to a person’s smart phone which is connected via Bluetooth to their charger.

As predictable as age-related and noise induced hearing loss is for adults, Eargo hearing aids quite successfully fit mild to moderately-severe high frequency hearing loss. Eargo Neo HiFi has extended frequency bandwidth with our latest generation DSP.

Thanks Steve, that is very helpful!