Eargo 5 / 6 reviews?

Actually need to update with a correction.
Noise Reduction - I just finished having lunch at a restaurant’s outdoor patio, with a power generator running next door. I tried the High, Medium, and Low noise reduction settings. It takes the units about 3 or 4 seconds to phase the reduction in, but it does reduce background noise A LOT. I was surprised. Pleasantly surprised.

Everything else is going well with them. I jogged with them in the other morning and they didnt move at all in my ears. So with my rotation of about 90 degrees (string pointed to back of head) they are snug and dont move or wiggle around. Very happy.

2 Likes

I’m glad they are working out for you here. Perhaps I should’ve given the six a little more time.

They are good for me. My situation. I wouldn’t be happy though if I had paid the $3k for them. But on ebay there are new ones always available for $1200-1900 and for that price point yes, they are a good solution.
But like anything, no one size fits all. Everyone needs to try for themselves.

We have 2 expert reviews (one written and one video) and almost 50 consumer reviews for Eargo 6 on the main site. We are also planning to review Eargo in our new lab soon.

1 Like

Thanks, watched the video. Very interesting.
I’ve personally performed the Soundmatch setup (audio test) 4 times and each test has resulted to a similar ‘graph’ to my in office audiological test results.

i can’t understand how someone would perform the test and come up with results so far off. strange.

Rich

When I had my 6s I also did the test and got virtually identical results to my Audi’s test. As I recall, Dr. Cliff also got good results on his staffer’s test when she took it.

Does anyone know if there are any significant differences between the 5 & 6? I trialed the 5, but they didn’t provide me with enough amplification.

From my research, the main difference was -

Waterproofing of the 6
Automtically adjusting sound program on 6 (based on ambient noises)
Enhanced noise / speech filtering on the 6

Found no mention of anything else

2 Likes

That’s correct Richard

I just signed up to say THANK YOU for the tip about inserting the Eargos with the string pointing to the back of the head - I’ve had my 6s for 2.5 months, and the slippage has been driving me crazy! Your tip is what I’ve been looking for to make these units work for me.

(I only wish I had known you could get brand new ones on ebay for a greatly reduced price…)

I have the Eargo 6s. I have mild hearing loss and these are my first hearing aids. They help with my hearing in difficult situations, but I still have to read the closed captioning on the TV.

The one annoying aspect is that the case does not close securely – it is held on magnetically. As a result, when they got pulled off of the nightstand while charging (dog might have pulled it off), the case fell on the carpeted floor and the hearing aids spilled out. I found one right away, but couldn’t find the other–looked for a month.

Eargo charged me over $300 for a new one. It’s not Eargo’s fault, but considering they are selling a small, easily lost product to a mostly older group of people, they should have opted for a more secure container instead of a cooler, magnetic one.

I tried them. I found them itchy. I have big canals. I found that I would panic that they were lost in my ears as I need my wife to locate the plastic string. Additionally, I found the feedback on high pitched noises such as the Car’s door ajar beep to be just awful. I returned them and got the more 1s. Muuuuch better.

Sounds like a plan, but how do you turn them? I can’t grab the aid itself and the string is pretty feeble, isn’t it?

@Warren_Johnson put them in with the string pointing toward the back of your head. The string is strong enough to pull them out but not turn them in the canal

Thanks for your reply. Wasn’t there some turning once in the canal? Perhaps a quarter turn? If so, how is that turn done? Please clarify. Thanks!