Ear wax

I have always had itch and waxy ears…all my life. I am addicted to Q-tips, I confess.

This is the second time in less than a year that I have had my ears cleaned by an ENT. of course, as soon as they look, they can tell that I use Q-tips.

Both times the technician[?] had to use a microscope to get to all of it. And she said I have small ear canals. Oops. Never knew that.

On a positive note, I had an audiogram, and luckily my hearing stayed the same as 2 years ago.

Using the q-tips can leave you open to infection. Try to go with some drops from your pharmacy, something like that should both sooth the itchy (which comes from the scratches you leave in your ear with q-tips) and soften the wax so that it is harder to form a wax plug.

Hydrogen Peroxide used on a regular basis can also help to disolve the ear wax before it becomes a problem. Be certain that you don’t have a perforation in your ear drum before putting any kind of drops in your ears.

Yes, the ENT I work with recommends it all the time. As long as there are no holes in your eardrum, you should be fine.

In the UK we are NOT allowed to recommend ANY ‘home’ method of removing ear wax.

The chemists (US: pharmacies?) are however full of de-waxing potions.

Also see: http://www.lenntech.com/processes/disinfection/chemical/disinfectants-hydrogen-peroxide.htm

“… In the USA, hydrogen peroxide is registered as a pesticide …”

“hydrogen peroxide can be carcinogenic to animals. Laboratory tests with bacteria show that hydrogen peroxide is mutagenic; it changes and damages DNA.”

Your call.

the pediatrician were a nurse friend of the wife works says they use a water-pik…