Ear size vs receiver length

Murphy strikes again!

When my audi measured my ear for the receiver length of my Opn 3, she said I was half way between a 3 and a 4, so she’s starting with a 3. I assume these are the standard lengths manufacturers provide.

Does anyone know if a 3 is longer or shorter than a 4? What should I pay attention to when fitted to see if a 4 would be better?

What happens is neither size fits properly? I assume too small and the receivre either won’t go in far enough, or the wire will cut into my ear, or the aid will sit too high behind my ear (which could be an issue with my glasses). Too long and what, the wire sticks out from the ear, or the aid drops too low and dangles?

Thanks. Russell.

I was the same, and my Costco fitter suggested going with the longer size for comfort and ease of receiver insertion. The main aid body is slightly lower behind the ear, which I think is better since I wear glasses and there is less overlap, though that has never been an issue for me. One just needs to remove the glasses carefully with HAs to not flip them off, which I did a couple times at first. I change glasses frequently during the day - sunglasses, regular glasses, computer / reading glasses.

Luckily my glasses are progressive and transitions, so I never need to change them. They go on when I get out of bed, and off when I get into bed, unless I’m showering or washing my face. As I am getting the minirite-T, it’s a little bigger than the minirite, so not sure whether that factors into the length or not either.

3 is shorter than a 4.

I have the RITE / RIE / RIC ReSound Forte 8 (Linx 3D) 962 T-coil version with 13 battery, so they are wider and a little longer than the 312 batt, but all works well for me. My first attempt to get HAs back in May of this year, I had two short 3 day trials, not adjustment or fitting at all, only my audiogram to set the programming; one wire was too long and the receivers kept trying to back out, the other was too short and very uncomfortable, pulling up in my ear. I have no idea what size those were or what size I have now. The ones I have are good in terms of insertion and wearing comfort

Meh. I was afraid of that, but didn’t think of asking at the time. How can it fit if it’s shorter than what she measured?

It just means the aid might ride a little higher on your ear. In most cases, ballpark is close enough.

I hope so. As long as it doesn’t pull them out from my ears so I end up looking like a Beagle in a Convertible on a sunday drive.

Speaking of which … what’s going on with my ear wires? From day one, they have stuck out like some kind of LOOP. I’m forever catching my comb/brush or even fingers on them. I mentioned to my aud-guy that they seem TOO LONG. They don’t sit flat against my ear like others’ do. Is this cuz the receivers are not deep enough in my ears? I try to push them in 100 times a day, but they literally sliiiiiiiide out just with my articulation of the jaw (conversation, facial expressions, etc.,) I have silicon double-domes on the receiver ends.

I’d love to get these wires to lay flat or be shorter or somehow stop catching on things. Suggestions MOST welcome! :slight_smile:

Having zero experience, I’d only guess, so won’t try, but what did you Audi say when you said that to him?

He just said, “Let then be!” But I have for a year, and they still bug me BLIND. I just uploaded selfies of my ears to share what’s going on.

(Big delay in my upload cuz my mom poked her head in the room and I had to CROW about being on this forum as I peck this out - she’d never heard of our little community, and she’s worn aids like me for 30+ years.)

So from your profile, it seems like you’ve been through your fair share of aids over the years. Is this the first pair it’s happened with? My guesses I wasn’t going to make were around the dome type and size, but given your experience, I’d think you solved that one a while ago?

^^^ This is my first pair of BTE aids with wires! I’d always worn ITE aids until a year ago. (Well, okay, so I had a pair of Oticon Opn BTEs for 9 mos before trading them in for the Phonaks, but even they didn’t have such snergly long WIRES.

I do have the dome size figured out for now, but for the fact that they keep slipping out of my canal every few minutes. That could also result in the wire slack extending out of my receivers.

I suggest a big rubber band under your chin, over your head. That should hold the wires down! :crazy_face:

Hopefully someone who knows what the heck they’re talking about will chime in, so I can stop posting stupid suggestions :zipper_mouth_face:

^^^ Very funny indeed. If I wait long enough, I can hang a Christmas ornament from each wire.

LOL. :partying_face:

1Bluejay -
He just said, “Let then be!” Easy for him to say! We deal with enough!

Wires out of the box fit me like your picture. I have my Audi “custom bend them”. I have very small ear canals that make a 90 degree bend. If the wire is not shaped perfectly, I can’t get the receiver inserted properly in my ear and they back out like you describe. I am a PITA until he gets it right. For me, it starts with a slight tight bend right out of the receiver.
My wires fit right in the little fold going up the ear and against my head. Then he adjusts the top. When you get it to fit correctly, it is not noticeable and very comfortable. No way to catch your finger or a comb – no loose, floppy loop. I kept old R and L wires from my Epoch’s to use as a template. I hate replacing my wires for this reason. I have a great Audi, but I have to insist he make the adjustments. I do not have a super tight fit with the domes due to the sizes and shape of my ear canals, so if the wires don’t fit securely, they are always backing out. Then my ear gets sore from jamming the dome back in all day.
I encourage you to get it to fit close and comfortably. Worth an appt just for the fit.
Hope that helps.

Personally, I would want to be on the long side so the hearing aid would not ride too high. You will probably be fine with one of them. The alternative is to go with a BTE style where you cut the tubing to fit.

I had the same problem and this worked for me, I put a little twirl in the receiver wire and it keeps it from bowing out…

1 Like

I like your suggestion a lot! I am simply going to have to be a PITA (um, not sure what that acronym stands for, but if it’s at all like a PIT BULL I’m all for it!) until he gets the wires to fit smooth & comfy.

Very clever idea from Ureout, too, but I’d be afraid of bending the wire so much that I compromise its performance?

I also get sore ear canals from jamming my receivers in multiple times a day. If I’m the biggest BUG my aud-guy deals with that day, SO BE IT. I’m gonna have this attended to.

1 Like

PITA = Pain in the A**

1 Like