dWDRC or dSC signal processing strategies?

Hello again!

I posted a first thread today but no answer yet. I’ll keep waiting but until then I’m requesting another information regarding signal processing strategies for digital hearing aids.

I have two Phonak Extra 411AZ digital hearing aids bought three years ago. I’m curious about your experiences regarding signal processing strategies for hearing aids. Which one is better or recommended for fitting a severe loss of hearing? dWDRC (digital wide dynamic range compression) or dSC (digital super compression)? Please share your experiences.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

wdrc means non linear or different volumes of incoming sounds will be amplified different amounts. Soft sounds,say 40db might be amplified or have a gain of 40db but loud sounds 80db might be amplified maybe by 25 db. DSC by the software appears to amplify all volumes of sound, soft or loud, within frequency ranges the same, linear.

Thank you for your fast answer!

I’m fitted with dSC because of being a long term user (25 years) of analogue hearing aids but I think I will request dWDRC because of non linear compression and different amplification. I’m curious what my audiologist recommends. I prefer to be focused on speech and soft sounds than loud sounds. At least for now, there’s too much background noise and I will tell to my audiologist to take necessary steps to eliminate a part of it.

Have you used hearing aids using ADRO technology like America Hears or New Sound?
Here is the website pertaining ADRO and the fuzzy logic it uses.
http://www.dynamichearing.com.au/

Thanks for the link regarding ADRO technology. It’s quite interesting but I never had used it. I will someday when it will be available here but until then maybe we will see something better.

I switched to dWDRC after three years of dSC signal processing strategy and I’m quite impressed. The hearing aid does not amplify that much the background noise but it’s focused much more on speech. :slight_smile: