Does Specsavers (UK) perform Real Ear Measurements?

Yes, Boots hearing is actually David Ormerod hearing, which is owned by the Sonova Group.

Yes, still not a franchise though. It (was) 50% Sonova and 50% Boots/Walgreens.

Hi I bought a pair of phonak P90 with Specsavers. I was really pleased with the connectivity with my phone and other devices. This was my first try with Bluetooth enabled aids. Unfortunately, after a whole load of return visits including one with the phonak technician speaking on the phone to the audiologist, I never got a clear sound. It was hard to explain it as it wasn’t distorted sound but it wasn’t clear either. Playing my acoustic guitar on autosense was hopeless due to the sound I was getting - more like a sitar. I had not heard of REM but since looking into it, I have certainly never had it performed by Specsavers. I wonder if REM would’ve made the difference with the p90s. Reluctantly, I gave up on them and they’re now trying me with their own Advance elite (signia) but these are useless so far as connecting to my phone etc. I’ve been back already after a week with them for an adjustment and they’re not right still. I seriously do not want to be going back and forth weekly to get a best fit. I’ll be pursuing an REM with them next week.

This is because AutoSense isn’t designed for this purpose, your audiologist should have set a dedicated music program up for you, this would have been better for your guitar playing.

I doubt it, REM works for some but it’s simply not the holy grail of fitting, most clinics don’t, Widex don’t even recommend it on their HAs.
Next time you go back ask for it to be done,at least this way “you” can be sure your getting the best possible fitting.

It seems from on this forum only some Specsavers have the equipment,so maybe you’ll need to go elsewhere to get it done?

Yes I know what you mean here, sometimes you just have to chose between better hearing (Speech) or better BT connections.
Are you using iPhone for the Signia, as they’re MFi, so if possible use Apple products for your streaming ( I don’t, I’m diehard Android ) so I need to use other devices for streaming.

REM or not you’ll still be going back a few times for adjustments, it’s a natural process to find the sweet spot in your hearing.

If all else fails, you can try DIY, this way you can make unlimited adjustments in the comfort of your home.

Good luck.

False advertising :slight_smile:

Hi Tenkan, thanks for all this. I should’ve added that overall Specsavers have been great and very accommodating. They did set up a separate music programme but the sound was quite flat and muffled. At the beginning I was informed that I should strum the guitar a few times so autosense would adjust but that didn’t work. What do you mean DIY at home. I would like to retry the phonaks with REM.

You can program/fit them yourself with the appropriate programming device and software on your PC.

Yes do this before you do anything else, I would ask Specsavers to redo the music program for you, can you record your guitar on your phone?use this as a starting point to provide your audiologist at Specsavers something to work on, when redoing the music program.

Hi Tenkan, thank you . I like the sound of DIY but really wouldn’t know where to start getting the correct equipment /software. Good idea about recording the guitar. However, the main concern I had with the phonaks was the speech. It was a ‘dirty’ sound like the words were wrapped in slight buzz/distortion. We tried a different set and I even tried the rechargeable phonaks but that poor quality didn’t improve. In the end they decided the devices were not suitable

The software and hardware are easily available, eBay and members from right here on hearingtracker will get you up and running, use the search button for Phonak programming or Signia, but I don’t know if the Signia from Specsavers are locked to stop people from doing this, you’ll need to ask them, it’s been confirmed that Phonak from Specsavers are not locked,so easy enough.

But in saying all that,do give Specsavers another chance to get them set for you including asking for REM fitting.

This is definitely a programming issue, quite common actually, just got to get them to try different settings, a good audiologist will know this, SoundRecover set to high, incorrect receiver, incorrect dome as well can cause distortion, buzzing well that could be a bit to much higher frequencys.

If you post your audiogram others may chip in with advice.

Check your PM.

1 Like

Hi Tenkan, thanks so much for all your help. I’ll check out the software you mention. That’s very encouraging that you felt there was a solution to the phonak problem. I certainly noticed the ‘distortion’ more with my own speech. I’m back at Specsavers next week and I’ll asking them about REM. I don’t actually have a copy of my audiogram but I’ll get one. This forum is a great resource. Thanks again. Did you write you’d PM’d me? Still finding my way around this site and can’t see any PM…

1 Like

I did yes, you just tap on your avatar and then tap the envelope at the top right, well at least that’s what I do on mobile devices, takes you straight to your private messages.