Does Hearing Loss affect Harmony Perception?

I don’t know if you read my post, but I would like your opinion about what I found: I downloaded an application on my IPad which allows me to output a given frequency at a selectable amplitude to each ear separately. When I do the tone to one ear and then switch to the other, the pitch is slightly different. I thought this might account for the discordant sound of music that I get. I come from a strong background of musical harmony.

Sorry, I’m only here sporadically unless a direct reply triggers an email. :slight_smile:

Given the asymmetry between your ears and the amount of damage to the left ear it’s not that surprising to me that you’d be hearing pitch differently in both ears. The hearing aids can’t compensate for it, unfortunately, and it wouldn’t generally be a linear shift anyway (e.g. you couldn’t just shift all tones up one semi-tone in the left ear and have them match the right). Just out of curiosity, how far off are your two ears? How far off are they for low tones versus high tones?

If you’re trying to improve you music program on your hearing aids, I’d recommend asking your practitioner to mute the left ear and adjust for the right (leaving the two linked). Pull up a song on youtube that you are familiar with and which sounds “off” to you and play around until it sounds better–you may want more highs and lows that a typical speech-focussed program, and your own voice might wind up sounding odd but that’s okay so long as you aren’t singing.** Then unmute the left hearing aid and if it is distorting things drop the volume down until it sounds better, leaving your right ear dominant for music-listening.

Also, how long has this been going on? I’m put in mind of something I heard or read recently about a patient who got a short-array CI in one ear and then a few years later got a full array in the other ear. After training/adaptation they ended up pitch-matching across ears even though the two CIs were stimulating completely different areas of the cochlea (given the different lengths of the arrays). The brain adapts. I wonder whether one could train diplacusis away somehow. I don’t know what the input would need to be, but I do know that the beneficial auditory processing effects of music are only available to people who play music (vocal counts), not to those who just listen. You need to be actively working at it. Perhaps you should take up a new instrument.

Alternatively, it might be a good time to explore different types of music. Harmonies may not work so well for you anymore, but there’s some neat rythmic stuff out there. (Also, if you are attending live concerts you might want to slap a couple of layers of scotch tape over your hearing aid microphones to reduce the input and avoid distortion that is happening there, too.)

**(Wait, you ARE a singer. You’d need second music program for when you yourself are singing).

My audiologist mentioned a guitar-player patient of hers, whose ReSounds have the All-Around program and three different music programs. Now I’m getting an inkling of why. Obviously musicians, including amateurs, have to pick an audiologist carefully.

I’m a jazz guitarist with significant high frequency loss as you can see from my audiogram. I have excellent pitch discrimination in my range and my guitars always sounded spot on.

Yesterday I received my first ever pair of hearing aids, the Costco KS8’s. The technician told me there’s only one program for the KS8 and he dialed it down to allow me to acclimate over time. When I picked up my guitar last evening it produced a warbling sound similar to having 3 strings tuned at slightly different pitches plucked simultaneously. I doubt that increasing the volume and high frequencies will correct this. As a musician, it’s completely intolerable.

From reading the forum here, it seems the KS8’s do come with more than one program and others have mentioned a music program which I can’t find. Nothing is available from my two apps for my Android phone, in fact one app hardly works and the other can only adjust volume, not tone or directionality. I think this is a phone compatibility issue; I have the Nexus 5x and it’s not listed as a supported phone. I can live with this or get a more compatible phone, but if pitch shifting in music can’t be corrected, it gets returned ASAP. Maybe I have to “upgrade” to the ReSound Forte?

Have them turn off the feedback manager on the hearing aid and that should help.

1 Like

My KS8s have six programs available. My musical background was harmony singing (barbershop quartet). I have not had good luck with harmony so far, but I am considering having my Costco audiologist try some things in one of the other programs.

1 Like

My take is that you won’t be able to “pitch shift” with any hearing aids.

1. The KS8s do have music programs available, but they need to be set up with by the technician. There are actually 3: one for listening to live music, one for playing music, and one for listening to recorded music. It’s common for techs to just want to set up one program initially as they want to encourage using it for everything, but clearly that’s not going to work for you.

Regarding apps. One works via bluetoot and I would expect an older Android phone would not support. What version of Android does it use? If it’s 4.4 or better, it should work with Smart Remote which uses high frequency sounds. Should give you simple bass/treble control and directional control. If you get a new phone, iPhone would be ideal

I suspect whether you’re able to fix the pitch shifting will have more to do with fitter than aids. One thing causing the problem could be is that before you weren’t hearing the higher frequencies at all. I’m guessing they’re mainly overtones, but now you can hear them and your ears likely distort those pitches. (See Neville’s earlier post) One solution might be turning down the highs on the music program (and certainly not using frequency lowering in the music program)

1 Like

No. I’ve sung (lead & harmony) and played music (guitar, mandolin, Dobro, pedal steel guitar, bass) for well over 50 years, much of that professionally. I grew up in church and school choirs, played rock, acoustic solo pop/folk, bluegrass, blues, and country as a solo acoustic act, duo/trio acoustic, full bands both acoustic and electric.

I’ve worn hearing aids for the past 18 years.

While I’ve had to work out some bugs and deal with the techs to disable a lot of the active workings of the hearing aids to make them work so I could perform or listen to music, once I did that there has been no problem. Pitch was never a problem anyway.

I love harmony, either singing it or having it behind me while I sing lead. Consequently, anything interfering with that would stand out like a sore thumb to me.

It could be active functions of your aids are messing with music to the extent where it doesn’t sound “right” and you are perceiving that as off key.

With my newer BTE aids (I’ve worn CIC most of my time with ha) on the “normal” (i.e. daily speech) setting I noticed listening to a favorite band on the car CD player that the steel guitar virtually disappeared. I can only suppose that the hearing aid maker is not a country music fan. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The ReSound Forte is supposed to be similar to the ReSound LiNX 3D, which I said above is used by one of my audiologist’s other clients who is a guitar player. But according to some sources, the Forte is “locked” so it can be programmed only by Costco, not an independent audiologist. That could come back to bite you, if your Costco doesn’t have a fitter with the experience to work with musicians.

The ReSound Smart 3D app may also be a problem for you on Android. I found it so buggy as to be nearly useless even on a supported phone, a Samsung Galaxy S7. I kept the ReSound hearing aids and replaced the phone with an iPhone.

1 Like

Volusiano, your idea to have them turn off the feedback manager sounds like the first thing to try out. Thanks. I’m assuming pitch shifting is their way of reducing feedback.

I’m just now understanding that when people say they have 6 programs available, they mean they have six slots for programs available that may or may not be populated. How can I be so slow?

I’m completely okay with pitch shifting in daily activities or general tv, but not for music.

My tech insisted that there was only one program available so I will confront him this Sunday with your information of 3 programs available for live, playing, and recorded music. Maybe he just doesn’t know about it.

He was very concerned about me acclimating to the new sounds but one day later they sound fine, other than the damnable pitch shifting when I play guitar. If he can fix the pitch shifting or give me the three music programs, I’ll keep the KS8. I’m thinking that I may ask him to crank the aids up to their intended levels and let me adjust to them in my own way too. Right now it’s sort of hard to know if they’re on or not - the best way for me to know is the altered sound of my own voice.

My phone is a Nexus 5x using Android 8.1.0. The problem with the phone is not its OS, but its chip set which in likelihood doesn’t support BTle. The tech recommended the Smart Direct app, but it doesn’t do anything. I installed the older Smart Remote, what you recommended, and it will adjust the volume, but it has no functioning tone control or mic directionality. Again, I suspect I’ll need a new phone.

I don’t think my instruments produce these warbling effects on their own. In electric musical instrument amplification there’s a well known effect called “chorus” which takes the plain input signal, copies and frequency shifts it a few times so that the multiple signals are a few hertz off, which mimics a chorus of voices or say stringed instruments who are always a little off from each other. This is exactly the effect I’m getting with the KS8’s, except they’re off by way more than a few hertz.

Since you probably know guitar amps, you probably know what a chorus pedal or effect is. Imagine cranking one way up so it sounds alien, that’s what I’m experience. It’s definitely a pitch problem.

I’m not ready to get a new phone while my aids are suspect. I have an appt this Sunday to have the pitch shifting removed from one program which will determine whether or not I will keep the KS8’s. Moving to different HA’s is an option, but one I’ll have to consider. I function really well with my unaided hearing so I don’t feel any urgency to drop $3k on aids that aren’t absolutely necessary - $1600 for KS8’s was an OK luxury expense :slight_smile:

Strange with your phone. I would think if it would pair with either app via BT or high pitched sounds that it would have full functionality of the app. Yes, aids have capability of 6 programs total. When one clicks on the Music option, 3 options present themselves. Good luck!

1 Like

The Nexus 5x is not BTle so it can’t communicate that way. It can connect acoustically at pitches beyond my reach. I can make some adjustments, but not all the adjustments the apps say I can. Glad to know about the 3 music programs. Now I just have to convince my tech that they exist :slight_smile:

Have you had the active parts turned off on any memory/channels?

That is a must for music. You don’t want compression and you don’t want the computer trying to decide for you what parts you do and don’t want to hear.

1 Like

I would if I could. To the best of my knowledge there’s only the automatic program and nothing else. I can’t access tone, directionality, or anything but volume.

Or maybe you’re suggesting that I should ask the tech at Costco to set this up? If so, then yes, that’s exactly what I plan to do AND install the three music programs MDB mentioned.

Hopefully something will work. If not, the KS8’s go back.

That is exactly what I have done with the hi HealthInnovations BTE Power Plus aids I recently got through Medicare. I got the right ear first and went back & forth several times to see if the tech could create a program usable to me. She’d keep the “normal” channel/memory one with the active crap, then experiment with the slight different parameters I’d suggest on channel/memories 2, 3, and 4. Once I decided this brand/model of aid could be made usable for me, I ordered the left ear, too, with the programs set up similarly, given the slight difference in my chart, left vs right. We’re almost there and when I decide which of the 3 “music” programs is best for live performance, we’ll set up the aid so 1 & 3 are “normal” and 2 & 4 are my preferred “music” settings. That way I’m only one click away from either speech or music. The multitude of program choices is unnecessary BS in my opinion.

1 Like

I hope I’m not to late to share my perspective. I just posted this new thread:

It lays out my concerns, i.e., that using HAs could simply result in further mid-range hearing loss due to neuroplastic adaptation to reduce the dissonance.

baumgrenze