Does everyone use streaming devices?

I don’t have hearing aids yet, picking them up next week.

I talked to the audiologist about streaming devices when I ordered the aids, especially since I use wireless amplified headphones to watch TV, and get an amplified headset in movie theaters. He said we could talk about them later if necessary, but he doesn’t think that I’ll need something like that once I have the hearing aids. It seems that a lot of discussion here is about streaming devices. Are they that common that I should be mentally preparing, and budgeting for the additional cost?

I use wireless headphones to watch TV (over my ears and over my HAs) but only so the sound won’t bother my wife who doesn’t watch as much as I do. I don’t need to stream TV and I find my hearing and speech recognition in movie theaters with HAs to be so much better I can now understand most if not all of the dialogue. Before HAs I had trouble understanding a lot of the dialogue.

No - not everyone uses streamers. I really dislike the idea of hanging a big clunky streamer around my neck. I find that with HAs I don’t really need a streamer to watch tv - the amplification of the aids is enough. I have a small device which attaches to my mobile phone to stream calls to the HAs but I don’t use it much. I find my iPhone has plenty of volume to use with the open-domed HAs. I did find the direct streaming from iOS devices to the Linx aids I trailed was very useful. I could listen to audiobooks, podcasts or educational videos anywhere. No need to take out the HAs and use earbuds. And much easier too. Hopefully all the big six manufacturers will have that facility all sorted and perfected by the time I need new HAs.
In the meantime I am not really missing anything.

I use streamer for talking on my cell phone and for watching TV - and for music too, sometimes. I really like it to a point where I have come to depend on it. I can hear the TV just fine without, but speech is not as clear and I have to have the sound up a little beyond what normally hearing people would have. But for me streaming the TV means relaxed listening, I can hear what is being said with much less effort, because the sound waves are brought directly into my ear and not bounced off of things in the room before reaching my ear. To me this is the closest thing to normal hearing, and I love it. The phone is more of a matter of necessity. I do not hear well on the phone with or without aids, and streaming the conversation to both ears greatly enhances my comprehension. I can tell you that when I got my first aids, I informed my Audi that I didn’t use a phone that much and probably did not need the streamer, but since it was a package deal, I got it anyway. What I discovered was that I in subconsciously had been avoiding the phone, because I got irritated by my inability to hear people, without actually realizing my hearing loss! It is not perfect with the streamer, but much better.
So, obviously I recommend going for the streaming option, or at least trying it. You don’t always know what you are missing until you try!

I use my streamer everyday for work so I can hear better on my work cellphone. My streamer (Soundgate 3) came free from Costco when I purchase my aids - Bernafon Juna 9s. If you have trouble hearing on the phone or watching TV, it’s a great tool to have.

I use the bluetooth device (Resound PhoneClip+ in my case) to connect to my cell phone, so I get the sound directly in both ears, like headphones. Voices are much easier to understand that way. I also have a device to connect my office phone and office desktop computer to the PhoneClip+ (MDA200). I also use the PhoneClip+ to connect to my laptop and tablet at home. The speakers on those are not really good, so I would disagree with your pro on that issue, and say you do need the bluetooth device. I also have the Resound TV transmitter and I can understand difficult dialogue much better, even though I have good surround sound speakers.

So, I would say, if you use devices like that or get several phone calls, you would be more comfortable with a device. Although I can clip mine to my shirt, I wear mine on a lanyard, under my shirt. I can press the buttons through my shirt. For a phone call I pull it out. I would not, voluntarily, be without mine.

I don’t use them for TV. I have a decent sound bar and understand most broadcasts. Some days I have more problems understanding than others. I am keeping TV streaming as an option but don’t see a need for it at the moment.

The sound bar has a clear speech option and I set the TV to Speech in the configuration. Configuring that way emphasizes the middle channel which is where most audio provides speech. I run close caption too and have noticed that some background sounds reported by it are missing from what I hear.

Yes see below, the TV connect, and the home phone Connect, and also IPhone and Ipad. I also have a set of Bose headset that I have added a Bluetooth connectivity to. My hearing loss is in the speech range of frequencies so I make use of all the options. But I have to also say I get help from the VA so my cost is much lower.

I don´t really need streaming devices, but I say that they are really useful for telephone calls.

For music and tv, with a mild hearing loss you won´t need it. Also, with open domes music will always sound better with good speakers, as you hear the bass directly with your normal hearing.

With a more profound loss things are different. It´s likely that music and tv will sound much better with a streaming device.

Yes, I have been using a streamer for 5 years. My primary use is for using my telephone, but I also use it for watching TV when there are other people in the house who aren’t watching what I am watching. Since HA’s amplify human voice over audio coming through the TV, it become difficult to hear the dialog if someone is talking in the background. With the streamer the problem goes away.

I’ve tried streamers and the inconvenience of wearing something around my neck or clipping it to my shirt collar is just not worth it to me.

I use my Surflink Mobile everyday. It is a small device that I keep in my pocket or on my desk. Nothing around your neck or clipped to anything.

One thing to know about the Surflink is that, if you can spare one of your HA programs, the dedicated program for the Surflink greatly improves the sound quality. I have four programs and only really use three, normal, outdoor surround sound (kind of) and the Surflink program.

I found that speech recognition for radio, TV and the phone is much better for me with the Surflink Mobile. Better than amplified, noise cancelling headphones or hearing aids alone. It pairs with anything that has bluetooth, my tablet, phone, etc. For things without bluetooth, there is a streaming cable that connects from the headphone jack of my TV and radio.

At work, I don’t disturb my coworkers when listening to the radio or podcasts.

It is frustrating trying to decide what to do before you buying expensive hearing aids. Please let us know what you decide to do.

I just got Kirkland Signature 6 HA which stream to my iPhone and iPad directly without a separate streamer. I made direct Bluetooth compatibility a requirement for me as the cell phone hands free is required in our area and the HA streaming the call is excellent.

How are you doing ‘hands free’?

I’ve had my streamer for 2 years. The blue tooth button stopped working. I have gotten main use to talking on the phone with it. I lived it. In fact people would think I was talking to myself. I am going to purchase resound linex2 with no streamer around my neck. I’ll give it a shot

The mic on the iPhone 6 is marginal if not close to me when talking, but the Bluetooth reception is fine. A clip on mic would be useful, but not sure if it would interfere with the BT in the HA.

If I stick to the ReSound Linx2 961 I intend to purchase the Phoneclip+. But I am only in my 2nd week of trial.

For TV and classical music I am still using my Sennheiser headphones over my ear on top of the HA. I find it a relief to hear that way and can keep the volume down for my husband and my pets.