Does anyone use AutoSense exclusively on their Phonak Paradise?

I’m still in trial phase of some phonak paradise p70’s and I just leave them on Autosense 4.0. Anyone else do this? Am I missing out by not messing with the app? Does anyone know if you leave the phone at home do the aids just stay in Autosense anyway?

1 Like

I am in trial as well and doing the same thing. Keep it in Autosense. I really don’t notice much of a difference with the TV settings etc.

1 Like

I have the Oticon OPNS1 aids and I only use the default program

1 Like

@cvkemp: I’m sorta like you, Chuck: I use the default program (VAC+) 80% of the time, my Music program 5% (not playing enough these days!), and my secondary program (NAL-NL2/VAC+ hybrid) the other 15% of the time, in the evening when HerSelf is in the LR watching TV and I want to pick up doggie and kitty noises.

Okay, so I’m not as pure an Oticonian as you are, Chuck - yet, I strive!

[I actually find it quite amazing and delightful that I can phone the vet, hands free, while driving to town, attend a meeting, go shopping at the supermarket, and pick up medical/dental receipts at 3 different places - all without the hassle of changing programs.

It’s a nice change not to be constantly asking for people to repeat what they just said, too.]

{Edit: Sorry. It just dawned on me that this was supposed to be a Phonak topic. Didn’t mean to hijack the thread.}

1 Like

I have the default program and the tinnitus program. I also have the connect clip and 2 TV adapters.

2 Likes

I too never used the app. Let the Aids run in auto.
If I did need to change program the button on the aid did what was needed. This has been the case with Phonak aids.

Now that I have cochlear implants and use Cochlear processors this has changed. I do use the Nucleus app for switching in and out of the TV connector. Sometimes but rarely volume or other detailed sound changes.

My goal with hearing devices is to not use the app. I want and desire to put my hearing devices on in the morning and not touch them until I take them off for a shower. Kind of like before having hearing loss.

2 Likes

I don’t have Phonak Paradise but I do have Phonak’s. I always use my Phonak’s only in AutoSense. I sometimes switch to telecoil but not often.

1 Like

Yes I use autosense almost exclusively. I had a manual Music setting programmed to my liking (I’m a musician) and the changes were also applied to the music programme in Autosense so there is little need to move away from Autosense at all. It seems to all work well.

I only select the non-Autosense manual music program when I absolutely need it to stay in that program after phone calls etc… but I find rarely need to do that these days as Autosense works well for me

2 Likes

Actually my original question was pretty open ended, I am using the Phonak Paradise model and AutoSense but do not mind hearing from people using other brands and apps and the auto setting. I started in on this question because I seem to read a lot of posts about people wanting more ability to make their own settings and have them as default. I then started wondering if this was due to a bad fitting/tuning or just personal preferences? I am a bit of a techy person, interested is some technologies and grew up in the 80’s - 90’s loving messing with stereo and audio/video equipment. Ended up playing music and being in bands and really vested in gear and tone. I have also been doing a radio show on the side for around 16 years. So sound is important to me. But when it comes to the hearing aids I really want to just set it and forget it so to speak. I want them to work well but I really don’t want to think about them or interact with them throughout the day.

3 Likes

How is the tinnitus program? I have pretty bad tinnitus stemming from unprotected gun fire when young. Now in my 40’s I have what I call flair ups of the tinnitus. Basically gets extremely loud to the point I have issues hearing anything over it. I just had one yesterday for around 3 hours that was louder than what my aids usually compensate for. I am pretty new to hearing aids and so far just using them has helped with my “normal” level of tinnitus but yesterday was the first time it went above and beyond the hearing aid. I am wondering if a tinnitus program would help in that type of situation. The tinnitus program is currently not activated on my aids.

1 Like

@twowheeledton: I have to admit that I can be a bit of a “tetchy person”, myself, but I ascribe most of that to my advancing years.

I’m a musician, too - I still seem to have enough hearing left to appreciate the wonderful sound of my instruments and tube amps!

1 Like

Yeah, playing guitar with my hearing aids so far has not been good. I am also an all tube kind of guy. Using mostly all analog pedals with true bypass and whatnot. But even just an acoustic just sounds strange to me with the aids. But I will say there was a time in my 20’s when I was catching some hell for having too shrill of tone and just super loud solo’s… lol I can say now I’m guessing having aids then would have helped with that.

1 Like

I have a white noise tinnitus issue, it is 24/7/365, and I have had it since Thanksgiving 1975. Needless to say I have had to learn to live it it. My tinnitus program is set to white noise, it seems to be out of phase with my tinnitus and it helps me at times that I am in a very quiet place. I use the program on average about an hour a day.

1 Like

That has also been my experience.

Thanks for the feedback. Mine is also 24/7 but it is a high pitched tonal ringing. The “flair ups” are just like a 200% increase in volume. Its been really interesting finding out that other people tinnitus sounds different to them. Like different types. I am also very used to mine but the flair ups have just increased in volume and frequency in the last couple years. I think I will activate the program for my aids and just give it a shot.

1 Like

I have P90Rs and use Autosense almost exclusively except when I am connected to my TVconnector, which switches the HAs out of Autosense. So I would guess I depend on Autosense 90%, regardless of where I am environmentally.
Don’t have tinnitus, so I can’t comment(lucky so far).

1 Like

there should be different sounds you can use. I also had a flair up a few times normally in the middle of the night, that wakes me up and almost sounds like a emergency siren, or fire alarm. I know it is my tinnitus because it never wakes my wife, or our dogs. I have told my Audiologist about it and will be going in in the middle of May for a full hearing test, and to see the ENT. I go to the local VA clinic and my hearing loss is service related. Why, the middle of May? Because the VA starts a new contract with all of the hearing aid companies the first of May and the first of November each year so we will be talking about what is newly available.

1 Like

When I told them about my flair up situation they made me see the ENT also. But of course they say nothing is wrong physically, its all in my head so to speak. Good to check though. I was the last civilian patient my audiologist took in. She now only handles the VA accounts at the Hospital where I work. Since we have known each other a long time and somewhat work together she has opened up to me a bit on all the red tape involved with those accounts. I’m really glad there are benefits for people such as yourself who have served our country (thanks very much for that by the way) but I also wish it could be a little easier and more stream lined for all parties involved.

1 Like

I do not have the TV connector but I am doing sort of the same thing. Just leave it in AutoSense but I stream from iPad and also from Apple TV so I just let it go to the stream setting and them back on its own.

I agree! I have the Paradise aids, just got them yesterday and they seem to be great!

1 Like