Does anyone else hear trees buzzing?

I live in Tucson, Arizona and I work in a group home with Developmentally Disabled adults. One of the individuals I work with likes to take walks around the neighborhood. I’m the staff that usually goes with her. While on these walks I have often noticed a humming / buzzing sound in my hearing aids when I’m near a particular type of tree; I believe it’s the Manzanita. My theory is that the roots of the tree are near an underground powerline and it’s sort of conducting static electricity. Any other desert dwellers experienced this?

1 Like

Interesting…
T Coil?

1 Like

Yes, but are you sure its not Cecada’s? I am also in Tucson

4 Likes

I thought it was cicadas for years until I found out it was tinnitus instead.

3 Likes

I’m in Tucson - the first summer after I got hearing aids, I was wondering the same thing (high pitched “static” but not constant and typical under trees like mesquite). I ask my daughter to come out under a tree to see if I was hearing interference - she couldn’t believe I didn’t hear the cicadas without aids. I looked up the peak frequency in the spectrum of a cicada call - it is over 10 KHz. Makes some sense I didn’t notice them before I got aids.

They are around now that it is hot - prediction of 110 today and 114 tomorrow. It will be Loud outside later today :slight_smile: I’ve seen the insects perched on tree limbs - if I get to close they go quiet and the fly off if I get too close. I’ve also seen lots of empty exoskeletons in the last month …

2 Likes

I can’t say that it’s definitely not Cicadas, but I haven’t seen any in the trees. Plus, I’ve noticed the humming even in the cooler months.

Does the person you are walking with hear the noise too?

2 Likes

I can’t really say; she’s non verbal. But she doesn’t appear to notice it.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I live in Prescott, AZ and have Manzanita in my front yard but I’ve never heard such a noise. However, I rarely hear cicadas.

The Manzanita is a pretty but very messy tree. Right now it is littering the ground with expired flowers and from fall through the winter, it litters those tiny leaves and many-many seed pods.

— Fred

Maybe it’s just one of those “things that make you go hmmmm”.

1 Like

Get someone you can talk to to walk out there with you. See if they hear it too.
Do you have T Coils? Is there a power line or light fixture overhead?

1 Like

Think this patient must have ordered hearing aids with a ‘Tree-Coil’, not the more commonly selected ‘T-Coil’

…Sorry, bad audiology joke :wink:

3 Likes

I wear Phonak M-90s with tele coils.

I live in the Phoenix area and have a number of manzanita trees. When I first walked outside with my new aids to get my mail, l noticed a loud buzzing as I approached my gate where a large manzanita is planted. The experience was like having a metal detector in my ears. The buzzing strength varied as I walked toward and away from the area under the tree. At first, it was a bit of a mystery, but after further investigation, the sound was not cicadas, or a singing manzanita tree, but underground power lines. My aids were acting similar to a locating device used by utility companies. :rofl:

2 Likes

Ahh, so apparently I wasn’t too far off.