Does amplification in high frequencies drain more battery?

In the last 4 weeks, my hearing in my right ear has declined in the high frequencies. It’s now flat at a mild loss until 4K where it hits 80 dB and at 8K is NR. I’ve been treated with steroids and antibiotics but it hasn’t changed. :-/

Since my hearing loss has got worse, my right ear battery has been dying first, despite my left ear been worse. Is that normal?

This is what my right ear audiogram measured on Friday. The hospital said it’s now permanent.

(I seem to have balance problems now which totally sucks.)

Are you still wearing different aids in each ear?

Sorry to hear about more hearing loss and balance issue.

1 Like

My experience from stereo equipment is that high frequencies take less power than low frequencies. Still more is more. If you have more loss and the aids have been adjusted to try and compensate for it, there will be more drain on the battery.

Producing them doesn’t drain more battery, it’s actually less energy per note as you get higher. However, feedback control uses a considerable amount of energy as the aid inverts the signal to dampen the output when it overshoot and starts whistling.

3 Likes

I’ve gone back to wearing my Phonak Brio UPs as the wait to get new hearing aids on the NHS is 6 week wait. They couldn’t give me new HAs after the hearing test for some reason.

Thanks. It’s just the last 2 frequencies so I can still hear without my aid in my right ear so I’m still okay. I can still hear with my Roger Focus as well. Think it would of shocked me more, if more of the frequencies had got worse.

It’s a real bummer I was going to buy a Bolero B90 M hearing aid for £150 to wear a long with my Phonak UP in my left ear. Now my loss is too great for the B90 M.

1 Like

That’s moderately true for “normal listeners”. While tweeters can’t have high efficiency, they can be directional and throw sound to the sweet spot in the room, and speech/music sounds all fall-off above 1kHz. OTOH, a small woofer can’t fill a room with large bass waves efficiently (and most folks accept a larger amplifier for a smaller speaker).

But many of us have large loss above 1kHz. My HL curve is steeper than the fall-off of speech/music high frequencies. Also all BA receivers are good to a point (1kHz-3kHz) and then fall-off very steeply. I expect “most” of my HA power goes to the highs. A 10dB increase of high boost (which is usually more than 10dB change of HL) is 10 times the power and with D-class electronics almost exactly 10 times the battery drain.

That’s if the HA is making sound. In quiet, power drain is normally very low.

As said, anti-feedback programs can stir-up the computer and that eats some power. And feedback is worse when everything is quiet (when gain is highest).

I don’t think it’s the frequency, but the fact that you are needing more amplification than before at those frequencies.

If the amp has to push harder to boost the frequencies louder than it did before, it will require more power to do so.

Note: I’m not an expert and I’m just transferring what I know about basic non-digital electronics.

Bob