Doctor won’t allow insurance filing?

The doctor had me pay the total cost for my hearing aids up front and file with my insurance company.
My insurance company says the doctor’s agreement with them gives me a discount down to about $1000. You may have seen this kind of thing on your insurance statements for any kind of doctor.
My doctor says I signed a form waiving any insurance discount and won’t give me money back. The insurance company says many doctors have patients sign waivers, but they usually aren’t valid. However, the insurance company says this waiver is valid because it’s written just right, it doesn’t violate the doctor’s agreement with them, and they don’t encounter these very often.
Has anybody encountered this kind of thing with any type of doctor?

THAT is horrendous! Sorry you signed that form.

— Updated —

THAT is horrendous! Sorry you signed that form.

What exactly does the form say? There may be consumer protection laws that render the contract unenforceable. I think you should consult with an attorney. Maybe a phone call to your doctor will persuade him to change his mind.

Are you within the trial/return period, usually 30 to 90 days? Return them! Then file a complaint with the state board that covers his profession.

— Updated —

Are you within the trial/return period, usually 30 to 90 days? Return them! Then file a complaint with the state board that covers his profession.

How long ago did you sign the contract, how long is your trial period, and where do you live? If you live in the US your state may have a mandated trial period for hearing aids. If they do you should return the HA’s tell them why and go elsewhere. I would also turn this unethical crook into the state licensing board that regulates their practice for unethical business practices. also if you had to sign the form and pay him up front in order for him to file with the insurance co. and order the HA’s then it would probably be considered signing under duress and it would not be worth the paper it’s written on, but you will have to go to court to get the judgement. Another way to get the same outcome is go to an attorney and have him write a letter to the doctor explaining what is going to happen and it might do the same thing as going to court and be a whole lot cheaper. Another possibility is to contact Action line or your local tv station that has a consumer reporter and they might want to go after this guy on your behalf. Good luck!

I would file a grievance with the state medical board, the state insurance board and the state AG.

— Updated —

I would file a grievance with the state medical board, the state insurance board and the state AG.

Hmmm, I’ve heard of waivers for patients who want to upgrade for a better quality aid than their plan covers (so the patient agrees to pay the difference), but haven’t heard of a waiver of insurance discounts. Your provider should have explained their policy upfront.

I spoke with another doctor who confirmed this happens, especially in practices (hearing or other) that have high-priced devices. Many insurance companies price high-dollar devices lower than the doctors’ costs.

— Updated —

I spoke with another doctor who confirmed this happens, especially in practices (hearing or other) that have high-priced devices. Many insurance companies price high-dollar devices lower than the doctors’ costs.

My audi and the doc’s office contacted the insurance company and applied the discount when I made the purchase. I had to pay up front for the aids and the office reimbursed me when they received the check. Otherwise, I would have found a different audi and doc; as much as I like the audi I have now.

It’s too bad your doc is treating you that way.

— Updated —

My audi and the doc’s office contacted the insurance company and applied the discount when I made the purchase. I had to pay up front for the aids and the office reimbursed me when they received the check. Otherwise, I would have found a different audi and doc; as much as I like the audi I have now.

It’s too bad your doc is treating you that way.

nielloeb I just want to say I’m so sorry this happened to you. I hope you decide to take some of the others advice because I just think this is a terrible thing that’s been done to you. Thank you for sharing so others can learn from your experience .

Nope… Never have this problem so far.
Hope I won’t have it in future too.

— Updated —

Nope… Never have this problem so far.
Hope I won’t have it in future too.

That’s just crazy! Sorry to hear that!