Do you have experience going from BTE to RIC for severe to profound hearing loss?

Switch to RIC HA model, since you may have more hard-wear and software upgrade choices. Not surprisingly the most popular design of HA today.

Iwhen I first was told I was getting Rit aids, I was upset, I was use to ITE aids. But I have to say I really like the receivers in the ears with custom ear molds. I don’t even notice the part of the aids that are behind my ears.

1 Like

Yes, had BTE hearing aids for many years including Oticon Opn PP before getting Oticon Real and now Oticon Intent since April. Wear custom moulds with 105dB receivers and never heard so well :blush:

Perhaps the Hearing Aid gods are trying to tell you not to tempt fate by riding a motorbike. Likewise, don’t start skateboarding after you’ve reached 60 years old…aging gracefully is far preferable to dying prematurely…

5 Likes

So true and my balance is terrible so you may be right but I’m not great at accepting conventional wisdom at times.

My first aids were RIC, then BTE, now RIC. I am NOT happy with the longevity of the Resound rechargeable RICs. They have lithium ion batteries built-in; the entire aid must be replaced when the batteries no longer hold a charge, as in 3-5 years. Forced obsolescence.

I also find the receivers last less than one year. In BTEs, you have to replace the tubes. In RICs, receiver replacement are much more expensive out-of-warranty. I no longer care about cosmetics in hearing aids. And yes, the teeny-tiny RIC wax guards are a pain.

1 Like

I have always had RIC, and currently have Phonak Lumity R with UP receivers. My opinion is, these are wonderful, but, the default, first fit programming is not nearly loud enough.

2 Likes

I have gone both ways, BTE to RIC, then back to BTE… To be very honest, usually size isn’t a problem for us severe/profound users, we just want to hear, so any aesthetics is probably of little or no concern… The only RIC’s I have used, are Marvel 90’s with 105db custom moulds, extremely comfortable aids, but I kept on blowing receivers, probably because these receivers were maxed out, a real PITA! I have one Marvel RIC in just now, in my left ear, with a Naida Lumity 90 UP BTE in my right ear, I had to take out the left Naida Lumity, as I had an internal scab in there, it happens occasionally, continued use, makes it extremely painful, so I will wear a RIC in the left ear, until the sore inside the left ear has healed…I agree with @Don, lumitys are wonderful aids, but IMO, BTE’s will always sound slightly better, a more comprehensive sound, richer & fuller than any RIC, far easier to maintain, with the added bonus of the 675 battery, I get approximately 10 to 11 days runtime, with a moderate amount of streaming… I had a strange experience the other day, well not strange, perhaps unusual is the correct term… Most of you Phonak users will be familiar with “Phonak TV Connector 2” I have 3 of them on different TV’s, as you are probably aware, multiple hearing aid users can connect at the same time, so whilst watching the Open Golf at the weekend, I was getting live streaming to my Marvel and Naida simultaneously, it sounded good! Cheers Kev :wink:

5 Likes

I have RIC aids, Phonak Audéo. I’ve found that they were better than BTE aids from the point of view of less feedback. With BTE aids I needed a mould in my right ear to avoid feedback (and that caused constant irritation, and I needed to leave the aids off every few days.) With RIC I can have domes and there is no feedback issue.

1 Like