Do we do PSAPs here?

I am brand new to the hearing aid thing.

• read a lot for a few weeks, tripped over a glowing review of the PSAP Nanos, bought a pair (CIC), hated the feedback and non-rechargeable batteries.
  • so they sent me a free upgrade for BTE rechargeable RX2000’s.

They are working rather well for me, the simple ability to adjust the volume and tone, plus a better DSP (with noise reduction and feedback suppression) made the difference. I only care about voice for now, although a music capable one would nice at some point, I am a musician and perform weekly, but don’t need hearing aids for that yet.

The ability to up the volume in certain environments and down in others is cool. At work if I turn them up I can hear conversations clearly three cubes away.

I also find myself speaking more softly as it amplifies my own voice, so when young people start saying ‘what did you say?’ to me (a gratifying experience), I know I have the volume turned up too high. :slight_smile:

My mom and dad have severe hearing loss, they watch TV with subtitles, I didn’t know that until I mentioned I am dabbling with hearing aids.

My mom wears hearing aids, but my dad refuses to, (yes I know, I’ve started working on him after reading some of the new research linking cognitive decline to hearing loss).

Hers broke a few weeks back, so now she is giving one of the nano products a try. No news yet there though, although she claims they sold her one that is music capable, waiting to see what that is, there is nothing like that on their website.

As an aside, as a software engineer, and a musician (who is well familiar with what DSP’s can do with music), reading the advanced features of better hearing aids is fascinating. We have multi-band compressors for music, but typically four or five bands is enough, so seeing a 32-band compressor really boggled my mind. Programming that must be a major headache. I have to admit I have trouble seeing the need for more than about 12 bands (think a 12 band graphic EQ), but maybe it is possible to sustain hearing loss to a very narrow band of frequencies.

I went into this thinking I would program my own, but now I am thinking let a pro do it, or at least get it to a starting point, and then I can tweak a little bit on my own if desired. And given that, the 8-12 band ones seem more appealing than the 32-band ones. And there isn’t a huge rush, since the Nanos are doing ok for now.

Curious if others have tried programming it on their own, and if that is a useful way to go, or a nasty rabbit-hole to fall into.

Also curious how the internet providers compare to the face-to-face ones, if generalizations can be made there - the ones you mail in your audiograph and they program it with a few presets to match.

0 Likes

All right. First of all, not all audiologist are great at programming, usually the software simplifies the proccess. So it’s all about knowing the software and how to respond to issues one might have with the hearing aids. It can be tricky to find the right setting to tweak in order for something annoying to go away. You only go into each bands if you know it’ll fix something.

Look into How to find Fitting Software to Program Your Hearing Aids [DIY]

Also maybe this post should have been in Hearing Aid Self-Fitting and Adjusting [DIY] - Hearing Aid Forum - Active Hearing Loss Community ?
Instead of Hearing Aids - Hearing Aid Forum - Active Hearing Loss Community

Denial is a huge problem. I have someone in my family who needs hearing aids, but are convinced they are to advanced to use. So they’re never used, sadly.

0 Likes

Hi, I see that you have the nano rx2000 and say you like them? The reason I ask is that the company is selling them for $397 a pair??? That seems too good to be true, but I remember when flat screen televisions became cheap maybe it’s time for the HA industry to charge reasonable. I am looking for my mom who has mod/severe loss. Did you have someone program the rx2000’s for you? They state you don’t have to. Any info you have about the nanos and the company would be helpful.

0 Likes

The PSAPs are still working for me.

What you get with them is a default frequency boost in the higher frequencies of the voice range. The rx2000’s have a single button that lets you choose between less and more boost of those frequencies, I chose the ‘more’ setting. That’s the only programming involved. Unfortunately it is also the power button, so it is easy to accidentally select the other profile, but they are pretty similar to each other though so hard to even notice.

For typical age-related hearing loss (loss of high frequencies), these things can work reasonably well. But they cannot cope with any special peaks or valleys that aren’t typical.

If you have watched the posts here, some people’s loss profiles are dramatically different
from age-related hearing loss, and a PSAP won’t work for them.

I like PSAPs as a gateway drug, if it helps, then a real HA would probably help more.
It’s an inexpensive way to test the waters. My mom has typical age-releated hearing loss,
and the PSAP eases the difficulty of conversations for her. And she has had bad experiences
with real HA’s in the past, and so doesn’t want to invest $4k+ in them again. So a PSAP ‘works’ for her now too.

When I researched PSAPs 7 monthd ago, I found that PSAPs are like economy cars, and HA’s are like luxury cars, features found only in HA’s have been trickling down to PSAPs. The RX2000’s for example have feedback suppression, and some noise reduction, and not much else. I expect this trend to continue. One of the features I miss is transient suppression, spoons clicking on plates can get pretty loud. Compression would help too:

One of the great features of the RX2000’s is you can reach the volume controls while they are on. I can turn them up if I am having trouble, and turn them down if the ambient noise is too loud. I am very picky about not sending sustained loud noises into my already damaged ears.

If I turn them off they even mute sound slightly, since I picked the domes with holes in them, I can still hear decently if they are off. I have been on conference calls at work, and for some reason people want to turn the speaker phones up painfully loud, the PSAPs make it more painful, the ability to turn them off for those meetings is really handy.

If they had a compressor (another feature yet to trickle down), I wouldn’t have to diddle with the volume as much.

0 Likes