Do I need a soundbar with my new TV?

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-detect-iphone-spyware

“Because of the tight security Apple puts into its iOS operating system, it’s next to impossible to install spyware on an iPhone unless it’s been jailbroken.”

Jailbreaking is overriding Apple’s official iOS software with an unsanctioned operating system. This can and usually does expose the user to significantly heightened risk of hacking and identity theft — none of which is the fault of Apple. All in all, Apple does indeed have the safest and most privacy-oriented mobile operating system currently available.

In any case, you can always check to see if spyware is on your iPhone.

Altho, it appears that the iPhone can be cracked as it’s jailbroken … by someone with the right GreyKey device.

Link #1:
Very unlikely for spyware to be installed. One of the few cases involves a jailbroken iPhone. Jailbreaking is intentionally cutting off Apple’s built-in protections. Very unwise to jailbreak your iPhone. Those who do, do so at considerable risk. Another case applies only if someone has access to your Apple iCloud login info. That should never happen if you safeguard your info. Basic common sense. The third case is a "masque attack,” requiring considerable technical expertise.

Link #2:
Article is 8 months old and may not apply to the new iOS 13 version. In any event, the “GrayKey” box comes in either a $15,000 or $30,000 version and is clearly designed specifically for law enforcement use.

Bottom line is that the average, everyday iPhone user is at lower risk for malware, spyware and hacking than are users of Android-based devices.

^^^ You’re right! Android is more hackable, as it is inherently a more “open” system with more users globally, too. Bummer.

I often long for the days of my “dumb” Motorola clamshell phone. Not much to hack on that.

1 Like

Do you still like the Zvox AV200?

I do.
It has proven to do as advertised.

When I got my new TV I could have bought an upgraded sound system for a few hundred $$ more. Glad I didn’t because no matter how good the TV sound system is,its not good enough. I use a super HIFI system plus the direct connect.

Thank you for your quick reply. Glad it is working for you.

I also use an Oticon TV Adapter 3 to stream directly on the main TV I watch. You are right that a better sound system is useless for me, and makes speech mostly unintelligible without direct streaming.

We are considering a more streamlined set up for another TV.

1 Like

My advice is to get a TV Streamer as I have a high end Bose soundbar and it does not really work for hearing impairments.

Generally you will still need a soundbar anyway with a modern TV even for those with good hearing as the TV speakers are small and tinny sounding which defeats the purpose of having great OLED picture but rubbish sound.

Check the output of the LG to make sure that if you plug in a TV streamer to the headphone output that it is does not cut out the sound for other people as if you connect a soundbar you do it via the optical connection.

There are other configurations to be able to use both a streamer and a soundbar at the same time via an optical or HDMI Splitter. The big high street chain store salespeople are not in my opinion very knowledgeable on how these things are set up when you need to plug a couple of devices directly into the TV

Thank You. The LG has pretty good speakers. A sound bar does not fit under it as it is above my fireplace mantel and there is not enough clearance. I opted for a receiver and external speakers. In addition I got the Bluetooth Aftershokz Headphones

Simplest answer based on what I know.

• I have the same TV. Built in sound is a lot better than most.
  • I have a soundbar (Yamaha ATS-1080 from Costco) which helps even people with normal hearing
  • I have a link to the TV with a TV connector from the manufacturers of my HAs which provides perfect clarity. The one issue is that if someone wants to talk to me I have to pause the TV to listen as the TV sound dominates the HAs.

In summary, buying a TV link device from your HA manufacturer is the best solution by a mile.

The LG OLED has plenty of HDMI ports, including the ARC one, necessary to throughput sound to a sound bar.
This TV also has an optical output but this is no longer the preferred port because HDMI with ARC switches on the soundbar and controls sound bar volume with the TV remote.
(source: I have an LG OLED screen)

In the UK Optical is generally preferred over HDMI for best sound quality so I use an optical cable to the sound bar and can control the volume on the soundbar from both the TV remote and the Cable Box remote. I also use an optical splitter to go to the Phonak TV Streamer using a second optical cable. I only use the HDMI ports when I turn on the Sonos which gives superb surround sound but I generall only use it when streaming movies as it is so powerful (ie dont even need to use the TV Streamer to my hearing aids) but can be a bit over powering imo for watching run of mill TV however I understand eveyone has there own preferred setup and I dont think there is a right or wrong method .

Optical can’t transmit higher resolution audio such as that found on Blu-ray: Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio but HDMI 2.1, available on TVs from 2015 onward, can. There is no difference in these formats on either side of the pond. The other advantage of HDMI 2.1 is the ability to control other devices, which is relevant when you want to control, for instance, a sound bar’s output of an Apple TV’s content.

I’m not clear here. If one gets a soundbar, can the tv connector for say, KS9s, be connected to it, so the hearing aids get the better sound? Posts here make it sound as if you plug the soundbar into the HDMI outlet and then have to plug the tv device into a remaining connection on the tv itself. So you’d never be getting the improved soundbar sound into the aids.

By ‘tv device’ you mean something that transmits audio to your aids? If so, the soundbar is not going to improve the sound you get out of the aids. Ideally you want to feed it the unmodified audio that the tv puts out. That means plugging it into the tv.

Here is a diagram of my setup, showing how everything connects — except for the soundbar’s matching wireless subwoofer and rear speakers (not shown here). This terrific Sony sound system, which features immersive Dolby Atmos, has settings which can accentuate dialogue. It provides truly outstanding audio for such a compact system, and I don’t have the need for a dedicated streaming device. The sound picked up through the air by my ReSound Quattro’s is simply wonderful.

The fantastic 4K HDMI switcher I’m using is:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076XWNQP9/

Yes, by tv device I mean the thing Costco sells for KS9 aids to transmit the sound directly to the aids. If the sound in the aids when plugging that device into the tv is as good as it gets, then a soundbar is irrelevant for me.

Irrelevant or counter-productive. If you watch tv on your own, you’ll probably find yourself turning off all external sound. It will be clearer through your aids alone.