Do I need a soundbar with my new TV?

@jazzpete Maybe the manaufacturers’ priorities are selling you a TV today and selling you a soundbar tomorrow?

1 Like

Thanks, I understand.
Reviews can be bias and uniformed.

Just have to turn off (mute) environment on the phone’s app at TV preset. TV streamer use your P1 preset.

I don’t know why not turned off automatically the environment when step in the TV preset. It is a headphone. No need to hear environment. I will add environment if i need. I’d like to Otican swap the method someday. Do you understand what I’d like to explain? (I am not american.) This would be better. And I’d like to change TV preset’s to my music program, not the basic. Music program is my headphone program. (Omni mic, no noise filter etc)

Have any members used the Sonos soundbar that improved speech recognition?
Or any other soundbar other than the Zvox.

I have a large Visio sound bar attached through the fibre optical port of my Sony TV. The nice thing about the Visio soundbar is that I can make many adjustments to the sound quality until I am satisfied. It is set for enhanced speech and clarity and it does a great job. It isn’t quite a clear as when I am using my Sennheiser RS 195 headphones which are made for profound hearing problems, but I don’t like wearing these large, heavy headphones all the time.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this information.

I have the Sonos Playbar and there is a speech enhancement setting in the app which does help. It was my first and only soundbar so I have no other basis for comparison. I find the clarity of good speakers simply makes a difference for all audio.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.
I pulled the trigger on a Zvox soundbar about an hour ago. If it doesn’t help the Sonos will be next.

Zvox seems to be geared almost entirely toward hearing speech while Sonos is chiefly aimed at music. Sonos is also more expensive, especially when you take advantage of the key aspect of purchasing additional speakers to spread around the house. I remember considering Zvox a few years ago and ended up getting hearing aids instead (which helped me understand speech on TV with my previous stereo equipment).

I understand and agree.
My wife has a tuff time with speech watching TV with her aids in. So the soundbar is hopefully the answer. The soundbar might just help me too.

I get superb sound on my LG OLED55C8 with the following Sony soundbar and matching surround speakers:

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-3-1ch-Wireless-Subwoofer-HT-Z9F/dp/B0793HNSQG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3MFFKCAUK1LRG&keywords=sony+ht-z9f+soundbar&qid=1573537397&sprefix=Sony+ht-+z%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-3-1ch-Wireless-Subwoofer-HT-Z9F/dp/B0793HNSQG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3MFFKCAUK1LRG&keywords=sony+ht-z9f+soundbar&qid=1573537397&sprefix=Sony+ht-+z%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-3

Dolby Atmos from the soundbar, which gives the effect of sound bouncing off the ceiling, coupled with the subwoofer, and add-on surround speakers, provide a truly outstanding audio experience. And the remote has various settings that can prioritize dialogue and the treble range. Lowering or turning off the sub, when desired, can also help make voices sharp and clear. For me, at least, no need for a streamer with this setup.

Yes, I get what you’re saying Nocito! However, I don’t have any hearing aid app on my Samsung phone. I just try to avoid doing ANYTHING on the cell phone other than answer a call. Yes, I am paranoid of spyware.

The Zvox AV200 came in today. Hooked it up using the toslink.
It helps a bunch with speech recognition. It has a remote to do many adjustments, another remote!
Haven’t tried it with movies yet but it seems to do what it is supposed to do.

1 Like

Get an iPhone and you’ll never have to worry about spyware, or privacy in general. Just don’t stay logged into a Google or Facebook account.

^^^
Couple of articles raise the spectre of concern with iPhones:
Apple Security Warning re IOS13

IOS vs Android Pros/Cons

Secret Backdoor Found in iPhone (maybe a bit dated as it’s from 2015)

:no_mouth:

1 Like

First article:
Talks about the current iOS 13 update being incompatible with iPhones 5+ years old. So even with all of the great changes in iOS 13, Apple has managed to maintain compatibility with at least 5 different hardware iterations of iPhones. Android updates often do not even support one or two iterations of various manufacturers’ smartphones. Because Apple controls both the hardware and the operating system software, they are able to offer many more years of compatibility. I believe the “risk” to “millions” referred to in this article applies to a certain hacked Chinese website which temporarily affected some Chinese-speaking users on 5+ -year-old iPhones. In the overall scope of things, not a significant problem at all.

Second article:
“Apple is doing a better job than Google at vetting apps for malicious code before they are allowed into their official app store, and it appears that iPhone and iPad users are much more likely to be running an up-to-date version of their operating system than their often abandoned Android-loving cousins. And there’s no argument that there is a thriving culture of undesirable Android adware and malware that simply doesn’t exist in large numbers for iOS.”

Third article:
Article is 5 years old Allegations about a “back door” are vague and unsubstantiated. Plus, if anything, Apple has doubled and tripled down on security since that time. No one has a more secure mobile or computing platform than Apple.

1 Like

I think most would agree that Apple’s platform is more secure. I, and I think many would object to your “you’ll NEVER (emphasis mine) have to worry about spyware.” iPhones are good–they are not perfect.

3 Likes

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-detect-iphone-spyware

“Because of the tight security Apple puts into its iOS operating system, it’s next to impossible to install spyware on an iPhone unless it’s been jailbroken.”

Jailbreaking is overriding Apple’s official iOS software with an unsanctioned operating system. This can and usually does expose the user to significantly heightened risk of hacking and identity theft — none of which is the fault of Apple. All in all, Apple does indeed have the safest and most privacy-oriented mobile operating system currently available.

In any case, you can always check to see if spyware is on your iPhone.

Altho, it appears that the iPhone can be cracked as it’s jailbroken … by someone with the right GreyKey device.

Link #1:
Very unlikely for spyware to be installed. One of the few cases involves a jailbroken iPhone. Jailbreaking is intentionally cutting off Apple’s built-in protections. Very unwise to jailbreak your iPhone. Those who do, do so at considerable risk. Another case applies only if someone has access to your Apple iCloud login info. That should never happen if you safeguard your info. Basic common sense. The third case is a "masque attack,” requiring considerable technical expertise.

Link #2:
Article is 8 months old and may not apply to the new iOS 13 version. In any event, the “GrayKey” box comes in either a $15,000 or $30,000 version and is clearly designed specifically for law enforcement use.

Bottom line is that the average, everyday iPhone user is at lower risk for malware, spyware and hacking than are users of Android-based devices.