Do I need a HA? Mild reverse slope

A little background… I am 33 and had my first hearing test done about 12 years ago. It showed a slight reverse slop loss. My dad has severe hearing loss, my aunt has menieres and my sister has mild loss.

I have trouble with deep voices when watching tv or if there is background music. I say pardon a lot enough that sometimes I give up trying to hear someone.

My results are almost identical for each ear so I will just post the right.

250 - 45
500 - 40
750 - 30
1k - 20
2 - 5
4 - 10
8 - 0

The audiologist recommended a hearing aid. During the word portion of the test I had no trouble hearing the words. In fact I felt she was speaking very loudly and really enunciated

Is it silly for me to be getting a hearing aid? Do you think I would benefit from one and if so any thought on type?

Thank you in advance.

My hearing on one side is similar to yours and I’m getting one. Since both your ears are like that I say yes.

You are OK on high frequencies, this is good, you are capable to understand well speech.
So I say it is not necessary to buy a HA.

No other thoughts?

I am not a dispenser, but there seems no good answer. You would almost qualify for open fit. Actually you probably would want to go open, even though little low frequency gain would be given. If you went with less vent then you would have some hearing loss in the critical speech frequencies just from the insertion of the mold or aid (insertion loss) The insertion of the aid means you will probably want to amplify to compensate for the loss caused by the insertion of the aid??? What is the point. Hearing aid amplified sound is not always interpreted by an individuals brain the same as natural sound.

This is up to you and your audiologist. More importantly, YOU! You must have made the appointment because something wasn’t right. Are you getting frustrated hearing, staining to hear? Is your hearing difficulty interferring with your work or personal life?? I think you may have already answered that question and are looking for someone else to either talk you into or out of hearing aids. But in the end, your decision.

Since the digital aids will only enhance the frequencies that you have problems with you should see overall improvement. You also said, SHE. Your hearing in the 2,4,8k regions are great. That said it makes perfect sense you heard her just fine. However, it would interesting to see if you had a deep male voice giving the test which would have tested the regions you have greater trouble with. To me, the word tests expecially with masking are not a true test of real world sound. They just don’t grasp the real concept. Try standing on the streets of NY with noise around and a large diesel bus going by. There’s a test!!

Here’s my suggestion. Trial a pair of hearing aids (or a few for 30 days or more). The first week doesn’t really count - so you really have to give them a chance to work. The first day or three you’ll be taking them out because certain sounds are too loud and you’re not used to hearing them at ‘normal’ levels. You’ll most likely need a few adjustments. Then and only then will you really get a true answer.

Best of luck -Keep us posted…

What are you waiting for. Get two hearing aids, one for each ear. DO NOT GET OPEN FIT. whoever said that is an idiot. Sorry, but please don’t write about stuff if you don’t know what you are talking about. Get CIC hearing aids if you are concerned about being so young and having to get hearing aids. You will thank me. It will be a whole new life for you.

You are correct I should have not commented, of course she should buy hearing aids!!

I answered with unnecessary sarcasm. Aids do not only amplify the loss unless open fit, CIC’s will have some attenuation, that will need corrected. I input her loss to art petite , unless it is pretty open , it is taking away hearing only to artificially give it back. but You are correct , of course she should buy hearing aids!!

Tautology?

What if the orginal poster doesn’t like the ‘sound’ from the aids because of her good HF hearing. Mild reverse slopes can be awkward to fit and the degree of benefit isn’t a given.

Add to this the potential issues with being able to hear mic/processing artifacts and you have to consider whether the potential trade off makes sense to a new wearer.

So just curious because I feel a bit slow as I am new to all this HA lingo but which aid is more likely to be the best for a reverse slope? I did do some reading and I read ITE and then I read a few posts where people said BTE (open fit?!) is better. I don’t really care about how they look I just want to get what makes the most sense.

UM bongo pretty much sums up how I am feeling right now… but I guess I could give them a try and if they don’t work out at least I tried.

In your particular case I’d be recommending a mid range in the ear product. Some venting would be desirable and a CIC might be an option if your ears suited it. If you were my client, you would probably be trying something like a Widex Mind 220, though other brands may work as well too.

I’d steer well clear of a dispenser who wants to fit you with ‘top-end’ product, no matter how good their spiel is, you simply won’t benefit from the fancy processing involving speech and higher frequency control.

your case is tricky. I believe you should try not only 1 hearing aid. Maybe 3… to be sure… low to middle range…
Mind 220 above mentioned are ok but they are based on the algorithm NalNL-1 and there is a glintch on him for reverse hearing losses, since they focus on mid frequencies … and speech… all NALNL1 algorithms have this issue…they know it :slight_smile:
I advice try also Phonak Proprietary Algorythm.
CIC it would be better, venting has to be limited. No open fit no Bte in my humple opinion.
good luck

p.s. also the test of HAD’s could prove that you do not feel like really having a hearing aid so… monitor you loss yearly for sure… and you will know when time might be better if not now

Everyone is different, a trial is necessary in any hearing instrument fitting. I have had client’s with similar losses quite happy with open of near open fittings of RITE instruments (BTE with Receiver In The Ear). I feel that being able to compensate for the loss at 500Hz (40dB) is generally possible with this type of fit. In the ear hearing aids may also work well, sometimes resulting in more perceived circuit noise/artifacts (results in a seashell-type sound in your ear). I have fit milder reverse-slope losses than yours and had clients very impressed with the improvement noted. Try a trial with a product that you are comfortable with the look and operation of and an audiologist/hearing fitter that you trust.

By near open I am referring to closed domes.

Shannie: If you do get an HA make sure you try it out in locations where there is a lot of background noise such as a noisy restaurant. The brain is very good at locating speakers in a noisy restaurant, but that ability degrades if the HA changes the timing and phases at frequencies from 5 to 15KHz. (See Figure 4 in http://www.aip.org/pt/nov99/locsound.html ) Mid-priced hearing aid most likely cut off above 8KHz. Since you are good at the higher frequencies, you may lose some of the ability to distinguish voices in a noisy environment.

Is the phonak program you refer to “crystal sound?”

Shannie, I just tried out the Phonak Smart V hearing aid today. I’ve gotta say, it was nice! The audiologist put it at the high level so I could see if I heard any high frequency white noise coming out of the hearing aid at the final setting. I went into the sound booth and didn’t hear a thing. She also set the low frequencies high for me as that’s where my highest loss is, and it was nice. She then turned the hearing aid down to the second setting ( they work you up to the 4th setting over a couple of weeks). Sounded great. And I could hear better than without the hearing aid.

I’m getting the iCom/TVLink for it as TV is where I’m currently having trouble. I don’t like turning up the TV as I do not want to mess up the hearing in my good ear. The Phonak Smart is so small I kept mentioning the size, because I couldn’t get over it. It’s like a penny folded in half. But thinner. Can’t wait to see how well the bluetooth cellphone works with it. So far I have never liked bluetooth headsets. I’m getting the blue one. Noone will see it, it’s too small.

Anyway, I’m just telling you this as I seem to have a similar loss as you, but only in one ear.

My audiologist wanted me to try the Widex Mind as it’s good with low frequencies. But she said it does have high frequency white noise. I didn’t want to hear the high frequency white noise, so I tried the Phonak and was happy with it.

As my hearing loss gets worse (otosclerosis) I’ll be able to adjust it. When my loss becomes severe, then I’ll change to a BTE hearing aid. Hopefully your loss won’t progress as fast as mine will.

Oh, almost forgot, the Phonak Smart is a BTE with receiver in the canal. She used a closed (Tulip) piece in the ear.

@t25: Very good post, closed dome (tulip) like I had mentioned in my previous post. As I mentioned before the most important part is finding a hearing fitter that you trust to do what is best for you and offers a trial to ensure you get the benefit you expect.

Thank you for all the useful info. I feel much more educated now and will be able to ask the right questions when I go in. :slight_smile: