Do analogue aids last longer then digital aids?

Just wondering, do you think digital aids come to the end of their life quicker then analogue aids?

Curious to know!

In general, more complexity = lower Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF)

It doesn’t mean digital have more moving parts, maybe fewer. The complexity is in the software, running on a chip. As long as the chip is not damaged and has power, the complex software would run forever. The other parts, microphone, receiver, volume adjustments or buttons, and power supply should be about the same. My guess would be about the same longevity as analog and could get better over time.

Other than severe physical damage electrically conductive moisture (sweat) is the usual cause of failure in all aids. Do not see digital as any more subject to failure than old analog.

I once took a shower with my aids inserted but off. Ran the hair dryer over them…and all was well. Ed :smiley:

The MTBFs of the industry for aids using the same size components has gradually increased over time, partly due to material improvements, partly due to encapsulation improvements.

There’s absolutely no difference caused by the type of amplifier circuit.

basically everything in digital aids is “SMALLER” so it doesn’t take much to break it. Example: takes less corrosion to wear through a wire in digital aids if the wires are smaller in diameter than the old analogs.

as don pointed out more moving parts increases the number of things that can go wrong… example (switches that turns on and off to represent “1” and “0” are transistors) 20 transistors vs 10 transistors is 100% more likely to break, because there are 100 times more switches that can break

Then there is the material durability factor. The materials used in analogs are not necessarily the same materials used in digital. it is easier to build durability in to bigger things than smaller because bigger things can use a wider range of materials that have a more durable nature.

I wish they would stop trying to make aids overall size smaller and work with the analog size cases, to cram in more durability, in to the digital aids.

example use larger batteries to get longer durability in battery life span. Use more packing material to seal the brain of the aid (computer chip) to protect it better from sweat. use better seals around components not simply smaller. Think out side the box and work outside the box literally.

Currently looking at Bluetooth aids and using the Bluetooth functions causes the batteries to loose 50% of their durability cutting down from 2 weeks to 1 week or less based on how much you use it.

This means the battery expense is going to double or more in a single year.

Ultimately I think that is what the OP was driving at is the cost derived from the “frequency of replacement”.

Especially now days where it takes so long to save up 3000-6000$ or more
It takes time on an income of only 32,000$ a year. Many of Us would still be paying off 6000$ when the aid dies and needs replacing due to such a short life span. Took me 2 to 2 1/2 years to pay off a 1200$ loan for van on a $19,000 income. This is someone who is responsible spender and on a budget. So you can see if I got a loan for 3000 it take 5-6 years to pay off. But the aids would need replacing around 2-4 year mark. This is the core behind the thread “design flaws on the rise” as well.

It then becomes a situation where it increases debt and you just keep digging deeper and deeper into the debt hole.

This is why longer durability for more expensive aids is so vital

what we are seeing, and I am sure is behind the question the OP was bring up, is we have a situation where 500$ aid lasted 5-6 years no breaks average and replaced at 6-7 year mark. To paying 1500-6000 an aid that is getting 2-3 years needing replacing around 4 years. This is particularly true for the behind ear style which is subjected to the most sweat…

1500-6000$ aids “should” be getting around 10 years or more break free. So that those on 32,000 income have time to save up to replace them when the time comes.

average income of 99% of people in USA is now at 32,000 or less and dropping.

To my understanding though. There isn’t anyone making analog aids anymore. so there are risks getting aftermarket analogs, if there are any left. So if your dog or cat got a hold of the aid and decides to use it as a chew toy your going to be hard pressed getting it fixed if at all.

That’s utter nonsense, IC failures are self healing now, you write the code to deal with these glitches.

The same components are used to achieve the same power output.

Litz wire diameters are common.

Please don’t post any more of this ill-informed nonsense; you don’t understand modern manufacture, it’s a complex process all designed to minimise failures and improve longevity.

Seems low
"Inflation-adjusted median household income increased 4%, from $49,434 to $51,413, from August to December, according to a study released Thursday by Sentier Research. "

The ZIPskinny site will give the median income for your ZIPcode.
Averages (means) are skewed by high income earners so they don’t usually use them.

I am a software engineer at a large well known PC, Phone, Tablet company. Digital is not designed to fail. My first cellular phone was in a bag with a carrying strap. My first PC cost in excess of $6,000 and I couldn’t lift the monitor. Now, my phone is also a tablet with way more processing power than the $6000 one, gets lost in my purse and has internet access. Not sure of the retail as I get employee discount. If you want analog aids you can get them at online retailers like Cabelas. Some products could be much smaller but the form factor for use isn’t there.

where I pulled it from for layman terms. Their sources listed down near bottom.

for the point here though lets use the “department of justice” median
http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/20110315/bci_data/median_income_table.htm The census department is in on it. My guess is this is comming from the tax return numbers from IRS which the justice department have access too

which is closer to your point Still with the cost of living being what it is it is going to take some time to save up that kind of money.

then explain how a chip can repair a burned out transistor on a processor chip??? My guess is they have unused transistors or its reprogramming to work at a reduced compacity as transistors burn out. If there is self healing then link the relevant info that is used in aids. Here is one that I found but not sure if this style is used in HA http://digital.library.okstate.edu/etd/umi-okstate-1332.pdf ones I am use too is the silica processor chips used in computer processors.
I read over specially the self healing portion there is a limit the healing can do. If they get too many atoms in one localized area that is lost it can not heal properly.

I still have constant ghost in the machine with this digital “pixel” aids. Doing things that it shouldn’t be doing. And the longevity SUCKS for BTE digital anyway.

more surface area the faster it corrodes, unless there is a process to keep acid and oxygen off the wire its going to corrode its physics and chemistry that’s all.

If it is a chemical coated on the wire there is no guarantee that china will not skip the coating on the aids sold out of country. As end users or even manufactures out sourcing to china can not check every aid to ensure they do ALL the proper protective measures. ESPECIALLY “NANO” coatings.

something with this new nano coating there is NO WAY for the end user to know if it is actually been put on. You can’t visibly see it.

Truth be told only proof we have this nano coat been applied is “The word” of a manufacture who has decided longevity takes back burner.

not One digital aid, has out lasted, any of the analogs I have owned, and as time goes by the digital been getting shorter in lifespan. This is from an end user direct perspective of 30 years wearing aids. does Not matter what manufacturers tout. If manufactures really believed that their products were solid, they would stand behind it with 5 year or lifetime warranties. They don’t because they know what they say is not true, they just say it to “sell”.

litz wire is woven correct? this increases surface area thus more surface to corrode through faster. Good example of accelerated corrosion is the golden gate bridge which use litz wiring(or bundled wiring). This was thoroughly explained on show “tough fixes”. here is cross section of the oversize litz cabling (or bundled) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GG-bridge-cable.jpg Problem they are having is it is corroding from inside out.

other problem with litz wiring is friction unless the strands have been physically bonded to one another to stop said friction.

point is solid wire corrodes slower than woven of the same diameter. material.

If I am wrong on specific point then go get the relevant info and link it.

just saying I am wrong is simply asking for a fight. I don’t want to go there.

And please do not simply swamp a counter post with tons of links a couple links is enough to familiarize to terms used to then do more narrow searches.

I was talking from a general perspective.

a lot of the coatings used to reduce corrosion and do other things don’t pan out in long run, many times. Example: I have a NO battery flashlight that used earth magnet to slide back and forth inside two densly coiled bundles it is supose to draw free electrons from the air and bond it to the coils to suply electricity to the bulb. They used a blue coating that helps the electrons bind to the coils over time the coating has lost its effectiveness and thus the light does not stay on as long as when it was when it was new. I think the company that made mine isn’t in business anymore or it was just a brand name that was discontinued. “infinitEnergy” with an infinity sign in front of it it uses 2 blue coils instead of 1 that many sites are advertising.

Point of the flashlight example is company said it last a really long time and never downgrade over time In reality that is not true.

theory is one thing, practical samples is another.

and can you actually show that ALL HA manufactures use self healing processors and not silica based? my guess is silica is cheaper. Which means more profit. only so much redundancy can be built in to silica chips.

If it requires software to work around burnouts, then its not self healing as described in the nano-tube link I provided. program work around is limited to amount of redundancy transitors built in.

new is not always better due to lack of experience of building in durability by trial and error. In the end that is what it all comes down too trial and error. The more things can go wrong it will go wrong “Murphy’s law”

more movement the more friction and thus faster ware-out.

Nano coating I don’t buy unless they can show me using “super” microscope to show that the nano coating actually exists on it and whether it can resist being rubbed off. It is not my job to find out, its the manufactures job “TO PROVE IT.”

from where I stand manufacturers have utterly failed to “prove” what they claim actually works as advertised especially in the longevity.

At one point MAYO told me analog is out. Even when I specifically requested a analog aids. They told me that there are no serious manufacturers making analog anymore and maintenance sucks due to lack of support for getting replacement components if they actually failed.

hmmm bumped into this while looking for info related to this reply Eurion

ok this was interesting http://hearing.siemens.com/Global/en/products/bte/aquaris/videos/aquaris_youtube_ip57-test.html

Hmm wish the aquaris was rechargeable like the pure model

umbungo how many end users do you know that will open their dead aids and actually look inside to understand how and why it work or to see why it failed?? I do

I’m not going to get into the rights and wrongs of your entire post as it’ll take too long.

Litz wire is braided because sound is transferred by current variation, current variation occurs via surface effect: braided wires have a far greater surface area. Moreso, they are flexible, which means that they can be used to assemble ITE with separate components and then put together, or if a receiver vibrates in it’s suspension mounting, the cable moves with it.

If you want to knock yourself out about hearing aid design ad the type of things the engineers consider, go and read Knowles TR series to give you some basic ideas. Hearing aid technology by Andi Vonanthen is another good source of info. This will give you an idea how things were several years ago when your pixels were designed.

I’d also have a look at a text on modern manufacture, if you want to know why a a factory in China will produce goods per specification, not like the nonsense you are peddling above. You’d also understand the logic in why there are holes on both sides of the aid: your suggestion would instantly double the tooling and inventory cost: all BTE are universal, which helps at all stages of the supply chain: AND for wearers with bilateral losses. Get some electrical tape to stick over the inside ports.

I have no intention to turn this into ‘a fight’ as you inferred above, simply because you don’t want to understand that you aren’t the victim in this process, you just have a product with a glitch that doesn’t suit your lifestyle: get over it!

Do you need to be reminded of the example seb gave? about lacing baby formula with deadly chemical to spike the protein readings above actual levels that killed 1000nd babies?? Also few of my own: the example of Toyota having its laundry hung out for all to see by whistle blower lawyer? Or lead paint when specifications say not to use it? HA industry is no different.

I understand your point as to why they use the braid wiring sill have the corrosion issue.
My early analog did not have braided wiring inside. Not sure we even had the tech to make that fine of braid back then.

They failed to follow specifications that you claim are in place. They keep doing it till someone gets some serious balls to stop them.

You were saying everything was hogwash and unfounded and did not go into detail as to why it was so.

Don’t you think it is rather pointless to tell someone is wrong without explaining why by showing counter points as to why something I or another said was wrong in the first place?

Its like telling a kid out of the blue Your wrong with no explanation as to why or how. Does it do the kid any good?? or anyone else watching for that matter?

And here you think it “isn’t” a waste of time telling me I am wrong, but think its a waste of time setting the record straight?

Is this an EGO issue? regarding the last point?

Manufacturing process only goes so far. It is how it actually handles in the real world that counts. braided wire corrodes through faster than solid due to surface area exposure.

still haven’t even really pointed out why the braided wire last longer other than flexibility.

and it isn’t hog wash when I state a fact that my analogs have all lasted longer than any digital aids I have actually owned. In the end it doesn’t matter how its manufactured because in the real world the analogs lasted longer. for one the wires were thicker in my firsts aids vs the ones in the digital I most recently opened.

IMHO it is irresponsible to tell a person they are wrong without trying to correct the wrongness through teaching the correct way.

I lost track of how many time I said I don’t know everything. I also pointed out I am speaking from general point just because it is general does not necessarily mean its wrong. Sure it may need expanding here and there for clarification.

When English dispenser pointed out I was wrong and why I changed my post to reflect the correction with a formal apology.

Have you done that, when someone else point an error on your part and why it was?

what of the nano-tube processor? with limited self healing? or are the balk of them still using the silica based chips with redundancy built in with programs that do work around when transistors burn out?

There are patent issues so not all companies will do it the same way.

Just out of curiosity how long has that so called self healing processor been out? Is I am wondering if the patent run out or not or if the original company is allowing it use by others on royalties.

back to the braid it has it place as you described sending it down the tubing to mold That I was not disputing its which will last longer regarding corrosion / short circuiting, since that seams to be the biggest issue with aids failing.

Andi V. is there any of his content online for free I can not afford to buy the book. I am not being cheap here I really can’t afford it.

anyone else not familiar with this besides me and wanting to look up the tr Knowles series use this in search engine to better track it down “TR Knowles hearing aids” without the “”

any time I throw in self-healing processors in to the mix its coming up with nothing. Anyone besides umbungo know where to look for the relevant info or is it too new for general public to get on the web?

run out of time gota go

Corey,
You are just so far off base it is clear that there will be no changing your mind and opinions. To coin a popular phrase around here 'You don’t even know what you don’t know".

Litz wire is distinct from finely braided wire. You can buy #14 solid wire or #14 finely stranded wire, or #14 litz, they are all different and will be targeted for different applications. Litz has nothing to do with corrosion, if you are concerned with corrosion you would need to deal with it in a different manner. Litz has certainly been around for > 70 years, so it was no doubt available when you got your first HA

Oh, and commercial silicon is NOT self healing (and hearing aids chips are not made from carbon nanotubes either). As part of processor design, you can put in error detection or even error correction, which will allow for some errors to be transparent to the ability to operate, but if there is a chip defect, it will still be there.

The computer I’m typing on most certainly has more then 4 billion transistors in it. If your scaling of failure rate would be used proportional to the number of transistors, every modern computer would fail seconds after power on.

Like Um Bongo says, could be you got a lemon, or your lifestyle is just rough on your instrument, get over it a move on!

“My guess…”

I have a MS & CE & CS degrees from a highly thought of college on the west coast… (granted it’s been awhile) but as posted above " you don’t know what you don’t know" is being polite. If you subject your aids to rough treatment and are constantly getting them wet (sweat) you will have a problem. Do you know why most warranties exclude ‘mis-use’? There is a company linked to in multiple post on this site about little Gore-Tex booties which might be on interest to you. There is a reason that the first thing iPhone users do is get a case for their phone or tablet. google ‘gearforears’

MTBF has been much better with modern digital electronics.

Suggest posters to this forum with strong opinions on highly technical matters such as product failure take a moment to question their education and experience before writing. The pro’s on this forum are no doubt horrified at the highly unfounded technical judgements expressed by obviously uneducated or inexperienced posters.

I write this because some posters are just plain wrong and show a lack of understanding of the physics of hearing aid construction and use in the field. Ed

How can these opinions be turned into facts? Numbers and metrics from an unbiased source?

When I was talking litz I was talking surface area more surface area the more its exposed to oxidization thus corrosion faster. I wasn’t disputing application On what was used where.

take a solid copper wire dunk it in acid take a braided wire of same diameter like litz and dunk in acid which corrodes faster? braided. this is simply chemistry physics.

We were speaking on durability issue NOT application.

transistor redundancy that is one major factor it doesn’t fail after turn on. If transistor fails then programming just uses a new redundant transistor not previously used. That is how silica processor are since they do not self repair once failed.

What I was asking umbungo originally is if they are not using silica based chips. then which is it, they are using, that is this so-called self-healing IC. Using software to work around the dead transistors is not truly self healing. Thus breaks down eventually.

Also watched a video the nano self repairing tubing I was linking too can be used for other things other than computer chips. such as

http://www.scientific.net/KEM.326-328.1447

Point of the link is the nano tube is self healing my pointing to nano tubing was pointing out I was actually looking for this socalled self healing computer chip umbungo was claiming existed and I told him/her to give links to it because I can’t find it anywhere and that the closest thing I could actually find on self healing chips was the nano tubing chip being designed right now.

I was point to umbungo to support thier point by linking the correct info I they truely believed I was wrong. What material is the IC made of used in the HA industry then that claims self healing?

I also noticed that industry LOVES mislabeling things in order to sell what is not. Like the IP57 waterproof standard. reality is its not water proof by definition of what water proof is. Industry calls it water proof to get ignorant people to buy a water resistant HA or device thinking that its “WATERPROOF”

Point is in the end the physical evidence show as the life cycle declining in longevity not lengthening.

So in the end doesn’t matter if I am understanding it right or whether industry is claiming it last longer. what matters is when its in the hands of the end user how long is it before they are having to take it in for repairs.

As of 30 + years of wearing aids the analogs consistently went longer than the digital. This was across the board not 1 aid or 2 this was all of them.

You simply can not ignore the simple reality facts, just because it doesn’t fit the model of business lifetime it “SHOULD” last doesn’t mean that something else isn’t true or factual.

When I was talking corrosion I was referring to surface area vs oxidization vs vibration, I was not talking performance and application.

When I was talking about transistors I was referring to silica based transistors because as far as I know its the cheapest to produce. Cheaper production translates greater profit so companies will cut corners.

As to date, I can not find, self healing computer chips, anywhere on Internet that is used in any application currently. They say around 2022 they may have self healing chips.

So where is this so called self healing chip umbungo has said is being used?

I already knew silcon chips were not self healing My issue was umbungo was claiming that current HA were using self healing chips or IC

based on your response you didn’t understand what I was replying to umbungo because you are pointing out what I was pointing out about silicon chips.

Silicon chips need redundant transistors when transistors fail the program tells the chip to use other transistors that were not being used prior.

problem is once all the spare transistors were used the program would no longer work around faults thus fatal error chip replace “NOT SELF HEALING”.

The nano tubing chip is self healing But may not be used in current hearing aids yet. That is what I have actually found on regarding “SELF HEALING” I could not find the self healing in which umbungo was referring too.

even if litz was used for 70+ years it wasn’t used in my analog aids. I first got. I know this for fact, because I actually opened the cases, out of my curiosity of how things work.(after aids died not while they worked.) The wires were usually 2 solid strands twisted not braided or litz. going from processor to mic to battery to other components.

This is for those not familiar with litz wire http://www.elektrisola.com/litz-wire.html
Note the surface area increase around each individual strand Thus more surface for moisture and corrosion to occur on. compared to the circumference of solid wire.

Because of the complexity of digital I understand solid wires can’t be used, but it doesn’t change the physical facts of longevity between the wire types.

this thread is about longevity of analogs vs digital not performance.

Zafdor reread my reply to umbungo because you did not actually understand what I was saying, especially when I was talking about chips and wiring longevity.

Corrosion and chip fails are the main things that causes aids to fail that is what I was addressing.

Sweetcheeks Its not mis-use to wear hearing aids on sunny day and ride your bike casually down to the farmers market 2 miles from your home, sweating a little bit, just enough to make your underarms wet, but not chest or back.
same with simple cleaning house like vacuuming and such.

The aids should be-able to resist light sweating and they can’t among current generation of BTE.

We are not talking "taking A shower with them in, or going swimming, extreme marathon running, walking in a rain storm. These are mis-use

when I mentioned my analogs getting showered on was by accident, when I was first getting use to them. The reason I mentioned it is it still continued to work perfectly 4-5 years after the accidental drowning. where current digital can’t even handle just little bit of sweat from vacuuming.

Whats the point of wearing aids if you have to take them out every 10 minutes just to do something just a little active. Or Not wear them at all on humid days when no air conditioning is available and you sweat just sitting around waiting for it to cool off? whats the point of getting aids if you can’t wear them if your doing a sweaty job like construction. or factory line work in a assembly plant(fireplace assembly for example). same with simple things like house cleaning etc.

need to be careful with the goretex booty due to oxygen starvation from crystalline formation from sweat / oil saturation. They are currently finding this out with the Aquaris HA and gortex vent hole they were required to redesign. New design goes in to production in May sometime or thereafter.
I actually called seimens on the issue because its the aquaris I am after for the pixel replacement.

Gortex is pain to clean. once saturated its hard to get the gunk out of the pores in the gortex. Use to wear variety of gortex wear. After a while Got fed up with trying to keep it clean. It would also get brittle from the salt in the sweat. frequent washing would wear it out too.(make less effective at repelling and turning it into a sponge…)

Not to mention using 3rd party sleeves on your aids may interfere with the aids function Which means if the aid company make proprietary sleeves they will be spendy. compared to 3rd party options.

3rd party boots may not always work like on my aids I have dial volume control sliding boot on and off changes the setting and once boot is on changing the dial setting may not even be possible. Also changing program requires you to press a door just right to change programs this could not be done because the boot would cushion the pressure preventing adequate pressure to change programs. Not making excuses for not using boot. Just pointing out real limitations.

also the extra material may or may not interfere with the mics. depends on aid and how they work and location of the mics etc. lot of the manufactures won’t make boots for their aids as is since they need to be custom to deal with issues.

And the claim that end users are ill informed and uneducated is hog wash. What I find hog wash is manufactures make stuff claiming it will do this or that and it doesn’t in real world.

example IP57 “WATERPROOF” standard.

waterproof is “impervious to water”
water resistant is “will resist water to certain limit”

IP57 standard is 1 meter deep 30 minutes exceed that, water gets in. meaning it is resistant to water, that its not actually waterproof.

The standard needs to be relabeled to “IP57 water resistant”.
As is it is false advertising.
Water proof should not even be used in terms of proof to a certain point.

example my watch exceeds this water proof standard down to 200m yet it is still labeled as “resistant” NOT PROOF
paste this link its not translating to a click-able link

here is 14 false advertising this can and does apply to manufacturing industry standards. To say it doesn’t is simply lying through their teeth knowingly or unknowingly .

http://www.radiationtalk.com/faqs.html
specific example of a standard that simply isn’t true by what manufactures claim: Quoted from the link:"
If radiation shields are effective, why haven’t the manufacturers put one in their phones?
Answer: For years the cell phone manufacturers have told us radiation levels of phones were so low it was similar to a hairdryer. And in the meantime they have been raising the power of their phones to give you better reception, thus increasing the radiation levels. As well they have told you that shields do not work, yet recent news reports uncovered patents by the manufacturers indicating that they are planning on putting a shield inside their phones. We expect that the results of recent liability law suits against the cell phone makers may change the future manufacturing standards.
What about products that attach to the phone or antenna that claim to shield radiation, do any of these items work?
Answer: Most of these products are bogus, but research supports that two or three of these shields may actually do what they claim to do. Look or ask for valid testing of the product used on actual phones by a recognized testing authority. We found that items that attach to the antenna or base of the antenna claim to block radiation away (yet let the signal come in) do not work - they can not do both. If they did block radiation, they would also block the signal and you could not communicate. "

Point of the quotes is just because the manufacture says something is true or does certain something doesn’t mean it actually does as they say. They are motivated by greed.

My motivation is have a product that actually works thus needing to understand limitations of longevity and such.

So I am not talking bogus crap Think the reason there is an up roar about what I am saying is it effects certain people bottom line in the business they do. regardless to if I am right or not. Anything said negative reduces sales. It is easier to decry someone than it is to actually fix what it is that person is decrying about.

Stuff that people are claiming that I am saying isn’t true. Consider this, you can actually prove it at home, what I claim, to be true or factual as being fact. like wire corrosion test. I am not making outlandish claims that can’t be proven. Why would I do that, I would just look like an idiot then.
Sure there are coating that can be placed on the wiring but it has limits.

I don’t like false advertising and I dislike hypocrites even more so I am not going to false advertise knowingly and I do and have amended at least 1 post to reflect someone pointing out a mistake on my part.

I don’t see anyone else doing that.

Just because my vocabulary/ grammer sucks doesn’t mean I don’t know what I am talking about it just means it harder for me to get other to understand what I am talking about. As one poster obviously did not understand what I was saying regarding nano tube litz wiring, Computer chips, corrosion etc.

I was going to go into computer engineering / specialized robotics. which is broken down in to 5-6 other engineering areas like silicon science(computer chip processing/manufacturing), mechanical, electrical, computer science, architecture, chemical, , thermal , electromagnetic

My point is I am not just a casual end user spewing crap and hearsay.
Yes the digital aids are complex as hell compared to analog.

here are areas I would have focused on improving in computer/robotic world if I had stuck it out.

1. vibration fatigue reduction
  2. Fuzzy logic processing,( those not familiar with this. Is making it so computers can compute in the “gray areas” where answers are not just yes and No, Fuzzy logic is needed for robots to problem solve without outside input from a user. lets say a mine sweeper robot encounters a mine it never encountered before. Standard computing is hit it or not hit it. Fuzzy logic would say I never encountered it before So I will flag it and go around it leaving it for human operator. Thing is fuzzy logic chip has not been specifically programmed for it to flag and go around. It solves the problem on its own without prior programming and without outside input. Some may mistaken this for A.I. but its not, its a step down from that, computer is not self aware, just problem solves in gray areas)
  3. heat dissipation/heat proofing (as in put it in a fire and it won’t damage it)
  4. self healing integrated chips into the boards themselves (that way chips and boards are all one piece which reduces vibration damage from having 2 seperate masses vibrating at different frequencies that would lead to stress fatigue at the joining connection of the two.)
  5. water proofing
  6. shock proofing (shock proofing is not same as vibration. Shock is like hitting it with a hammer dropping it off a cliff)
    since it wasn’t an official degree it would have taken 7 years just to get a BS (so many areas being involved)

The point trying to drive home is I am not blowing hot air its a miss communication issue on my part and the readers both.

Stuff I am spewing now is the stuff I was seriously trying to solve way back in 93 when I went to R.I.T. school ranked 5th for computer engineering back then. I wanted M.I.T. Scores qualified me for MIT. Life circumstances threw that out the window. Poor family, lack of support for people with disabilities and such.

rest is pure opinion rant only loosely connected to topic:

Point about litz wiring that would improve it, figure out how to bind the strands together using a molecular polymer or such that will keep the properties that makes the litz so good, yet remove the vibration related friction that will cause individual strands to cut through one another and remove the surface area that would prevent corrosion by denying surface area to acids, fluids , oxygen etc… also binding them together makes the whole stronger from breakage. Using flexible polymer or other between the stands would make the whole bundle the strength of one but yet flexible because the polymer would allow flexing. I do not mean just wrapping them. This would enhance the longevity of litz wires. currently it would also increase the pricing :-S

One of the big reasons I thing digital is behind on longevity is because industry focused too much on added function they could pack in. With limits on development budgets, something had to go. Durability got shunted to the bottom. Frame of Mind being who cares if the person has problems year down the road what matters is we got the sale for this quarter. Once they hand over the money we can milk them for all their worth with little no support in return. But we will be sure to have our bean counters crunch numbers to make sure any short comings doesn’t exceed the profit taken in.

This new nano coating business brief, if you read it, they focus almost entirely on supposed profit increase.

If it was about the patient then the profit would have been the foot note and they would been focused mainly on longevity and improvement of service to the patient and the quality of life that would have been improved from not having to deal with frequent failures.

If you make solid products there is no need to number crunch other than to keep from going over budget.

Corey, why do you appear and disappear when there’s going to be an eclipse? Nice annular one over Japan this time.

My particular field of engineering study was manufacturing systems process control: in electronics assembly this gets more refined all the time. That doesn’t mean that there won’t ever be a problem: but the reliability of modern electronic devices, like the airbags or seatbelt pre-tensioners in a car is now so good that we literally put our lives in their hands and trust them to set off explosions to save us in an accident. That’s why there are things like ISO standards to make sure that processes and production meet the correct requirements.

Litz wire is used because the larger surface area passes electrons more freely which gives better acoustic response. It’s incredibly rare for a wire to fail inside an aid, but externally far more common, due to the failure of the support structure around it.

Your problem with the Pixel has nothing to with any of this, you just sweated yourself into a froth and swamped the mics. If you’d done the same to nearly all electronic devices with a mic, things would have ended up the same way.

Get over it, design suitability doesn’t equal design performance: which is why a papier mâché tent would not be a good idea, nor a chocolate teapot.

Like Um Bongo says, could be you got a lemon, or your lifestyle is just rough on your instrument, get over it a move on!

he can’t, he has no where to go…