DIY - Self Programming the Oticon Opn – How To

Run it manually (if it’s not already running) then look in your system tray.
Click on the icon from your system tray, look in preferences, there’s an option to run the updater when you start Genie.
Capture

Ah, it’s a background app in the system tray! Got it now! Thanks a bunch, @pvc!!!

It sounds like PVC answered your question about how to find the Genie 2 updater. I checked myself and so far there does not seem to be an update available yet for the Genie 2 software.

I plan to keep checking - maybe something will show up soon.

Yeah, I updated the option in my Genie Updater to check for updates every day now instead of every week. It’s being done by the computer anyway…

I did the same thing. I’m really hoping that the in-situ audiometry feature does get added - I would very much like to have something like that. I’m not all that confident in the last audiogram that I had because the person doing it didn’t take very much time and seemed to be in a big hurry to get me out of there.

In a similar boat as you @Geekman

Actually, this brings up a question - is there any way that an individual can do their own audiogram? I have seen a few web sites that claim they provide one but they don’t appear to be all that accurate. Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this reasonable accurately without going to an audiologist?

That’s why I’m interested in the in-situ audiometry feature on Genie 2. But I’ve also used hearingtest.online with adequate success. See, my brother has hearing loss (not as bad as me) but he never wears any hearing aids. So we used this hearingtest.online testing to creating a rough audiogram for him so I could program my OPN 1 for him to let him try it out, now that I have the MiniPro and can do such a thing. That got him to try it out to become interested enough to make an appointment with Costco to get a more thorough hearing test. After the Costco hearing test, we compared the Costco result against the hearingtest.online result and it’s not too far off for AC. Of course the Costco test has more data points for finer frequency intervals, and also BC and UCL and SRT and WRC, etc. But the hearingtest.online data was enough for a quick and rough fitment to get my brother to try out my OPN 1.

I did the same thing with HearingTest.online and got results that are similar to my most recent audiogram but of course I have no way of knowing whether or not either one is really accurate. I suppose that they are both just approximations anyway and to be honest they do agree fairly well with each other. Maybe it really doesn’t matter that much as long as they are reasonably close to reality. Still, it would be great if we could generate our own audiograms using the hearing aids that we have - that way we could keep track of any changes that might occur as time goes by.

That’s really great that you were able to get your brother to look into getting aids. I have had some success getting some of my friends to get them but it can be difficult to convince them that it is worth it.

I’m listening to the audiologyonline.com course on Genie 2 Programming and thought that the explanation given by Gabrielle Filips on how to interpret the OpenSound Transition setting in OSN interesting. So I’m transcribing what she said about it below to share the info:

Gabrielle Filips: “…For those of you who are familiar with our software, you may have been familiar with the profile that was “lively” all the way to “steady”. So think of “Low” as “Lively” and think of “High” as “Steady”. So “Low” meaning that it may be good for a patient who has worn linear hearing aids for many years, they don’t need as much support as far as compression goes, as far a timing goes for the compression, than somebody who would be in the “High” setting would get more support from a hearing instrument. So that would be a patient who has recruitment, or maybe a patient who just needs noise reduction to kick in sooner and more aggressively.”

There’s more to it than what she said above, but I thought it was an interesting take from her on how to view what those settings mean.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that info on the Oticon course. I hadn’t checked their web site for awhile - it looks like they have added a number of new courses. I just listened to the one that you mentioned and it did help to shed some light on how the open sound navigator works.

I’m going to listen to some of the other new entries and see if they provide any more insights into how to program the Oticon OPN aids using Genie 2. Every little bit helps.

edit - I just finished listening to the “Complex versus Standard Fittings Part 1” lecture by Don Schum. It is just over an hour long but in my opinion will worth the time spent to listen to it. It gave me a much better understanding of the whole idea of “fitting” when it comes to hearing aids. Kind of like a compressed course in audiology which is exactly what I need since I am trying to do my own programming without an audiologist.

Here is a link to the screen where the Oticon courses are available (you have to register with Audiologyonline to access the courses):

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this link, GeekMan. I spent the hour-plus time listening to this lecture myself based on your recommendation. It does give some very basic insight to the workings of a fitting rationale, and what the compression ratio means, etc. In the end, his point about not trying to fit to the hearing “loss”, but try to fit to the “remaining” hearing, and his example of fitting a reverse slope loss, is consistent with his podcast “Fitting Low Frequency Hearing Loss” from this link https://www.oticon.com/professionals/audiology-students/education-and-information/podcast-program.

I particularly find these podcasts very helpful as well. I specifically like the podcast “Why Is Noise So Difficult” and “Hearing Aid Technology and Noise”, which are tied together, where the earlier should be viewed first.

I’m looking forward to Schum’s next two posts - he refers to part II and part III in his first post mentioned above. As best I can tell he hasn’t posted the next two as yet but I’m going to keep checking for them.

does it paid podcast? or free to viewed by any one ?

You have to register but there is no cost unless you want to get credit for the course. Just sign yourself up so you have an id and password - then you can access any of the courses for free as long as you are logged in.

To clarify, the podcasts are from the Oticon website and not from the audiologyonline.com website, so you don’t need to login and register for the course like you do with the audiologyonline.com class (such as the “Complex vs Standard Fittings Part 1” class). So for the podcasts per se, just click on the link and select the relevant podcast(s) you’re interested in and simply watch them.

1 Like

but i have low frequency loss and i cant hear podcast even with headphone/speaker with wearing HA. can someone post narrated steps with small tips. i am familiar with audiology words moderately. it will be most helpful.

These podcasts are long enough that nobody would have the time or inclination to transcribe them for you unless they get paid to do it. Maybe you can find some speech recognition app to transcribe them for you automatically.

Perhaps you could contact Oticon. There’s a possibility they might have the podcasts transcribed. Sure seems like a reasonable request to make of a company that specializes in dealing with the hearing impaired.

i am not telling every sentence i mean if reverse slop loss what ever gain allocated to low you should balance that gain propertionately with weight to high like that this is single sentence oticon narrated video for low frequency loss and whole video finished jsut main hook. like super summary for whole video. i know here not audiologiest we are new biee. but if you can narrate video in 2-5 sentence its enough