DIY - Self Programming the Oticon Opn – How To

I just ordered this product (mini Pro with 2 CS44 cables) - Promotion!Digital Hearing Aid Programmer mini PRO USB Compatible with All Hearing Aids ,Functioned as Hi Pro Hipro USB|hipro usb|digital hearing aidhearing aid - AliExpress

but the seller claims that this mini Pro and the cables (CS44) are not compatible with Oticon Xceed UP 1. Is that true? I’m confused what to do with my order…

Not an Oticon person so take this with a grain of salt. My take from reading Genie 2 links is that it would likely work now, but that Oticon has plans for sometime in the future to only support HiPRO 2, at which time it MIGHT not work anymore. I take it Oticon still needs wired programmer for firmware updates? This really presents a challenge as firmware updates get bigger and bigger, seems like the risk of bricking the hearing aid go up if using a device that has questionable support and will take longer than HiPRO 2. I have no advice except to talk to somebody smarter than me.

If you have the programming software for your particular aids look in the software and see what devices are listed to program them.
I know with Phonak you have to select which device you will be using.

I have Genie 2 version 2020.1 build 9.3.116 and this is the overview of all compatible programming devices - https://genie.cdn.dgs.com/en-us/Assets/en-US/Projects/RC/20-1/en-us/33168US_PDF_OVERVIEW_PROGRAMMING_DEVICES_H2-19.pdf
Hi Pro USB is listed with the following note “Expect slower programming and firmware update times as these are older devices.”.
Maybe the CS44 cables from the Aliexpress link are not compatible?

There should be a cable guide in the software.
@Volusiano should clear this all up.

The Genie 2 software shows support for Xceed 1, 2, 3 and Xceed Play 1, 2, beside OPN, OPN S, OPN Play, Ruby and Siya. But I don’t see Xceed UP listed. I don’t know if it’s different than the regular Xceed or Xceed play or not.

But I take it that the question is more about the hardware interface (either the miniPro or the CS44) that’s supposedly not compatible with the Xceed UP, right? It’s not about whether Genie 2 is compatible with Xceed UP or not. Since the miniPro is widely universal, I’m wondering if it’s the CS44 is the non-compatible wire to the Xceed UP or not?

Oticon offers Xceed in 2 variants - SP and UP, its either Xceed BTE SP 1, 2, 3 or Xceed BTE UP 1, 2, 3. If the SP is supported then most likely UP is supported too.

This is the piece that I was referencing suggesting that only HIPRO 2 might be supported in the future: HI-PRO

HI-PRO is a programming device that meets industry standards and can be used to fit all hearing instruments.

HI-PRO exists in three versions. HI-PRO 2 is the newest and fastest.

In order to get the most out of your wired fittings and firmware updates, we strongly recommend using HI-PRO 2.As Oticon’s products become increasingly advanced, the amount of data that needs to be transferred between the hearing instruments and the fitting software grows. For this reason, you may experience slow programming and update times with the older HI-PRO Serial/USB devices.

We therefore strongly recommend to find a replacement for the HI-PRO Serial/USB devices in the near future if you use it currently. Genie 2 will continue to support these devices for now but we are considering whether to stop support for them long-term, as they are several times slower than the recommended devices.

The best replacement programming interface for wired fittings and firmware upgrades is HI-PRO 2, with which you will see a marked improvement in fitting and firmware upgrade speed. Please contact your sales representative if you’d like more information.

Programming device Connection to computer Connection to adaptors or hearing instruments Adaptors
HI-PRO classic COM cable Oticon cable #3 Depends on [instrument style](Cables and adaptors.htm)
HI-PRO (USB)
HI-PRO 2 USB cable Oticon cable #3 Depends on [instrument style](Cables and adaptors.htm)

How to connect hearing instruments with HI-PRO

1. Connect HI-PRO to your computer. The table above shows which cables to use.
  2. If you use HI-PRO classic, the HI-PRO must be detected in Preferences: In the Preferences menu, click Edit Preferences . In the Programming Device dialog box, click Detect . When the programming device is detected, click Select .
  3. Connect HI-PRO to the hearing instruments. The table above shows which cables and adaptors to use.
  4. Return to Genie 2 to connect the instruments:
  • To connect instruments for the first time in the current session, click Detect on the left side of the toolbar. If you have connected instruments previously in the same session, click Connect . The name on the button changes automatically.
  1. The Detect dialog box opens. Click Detect and then Connect .
  2. Settings are saved automatically in the instruments while they are connected.

See Troubleshooting

2 Likes

From what I can tell, it looks like NoahLink Wireless can now do firmware updates? IF that is correct, I wouldn’t mess around with a MiniPro and would just get a NoahLink Wireless. This is mistaken. NoahLink Wireless cannot do firmware updates.

Hmmmm; You say that Noahlink Wireless can now perform Firmware updates to Oticon hearing aids? Reference please? Maybe you were reading about NOAHlink (a different device) getting firmware updates applied to the actual NOAHlink fitting device and not the hearing aids?

Also; I do see Exceed UP being supported in Oticon Genie 2 (see image below).

As to the original issue (Exceed UP not compatible with mini-Pro);
Run Genie 2 then Click Help/Instructions for use/ then Scroll down to find Guides. Then choose and review one-at-a-time;

1. Programming Devices
  2. Cable overview

Let’s take a close look at Programming Devices. If it says HiPro, you can take that to also mean mini Pro. Those two hearing aid programming devices (mini Pro and Hi Pro) will work the same.

There are three reference notes and only (Ref note 2 - Expect slower programming and firmware update times as these are older devices) applies to the mini Pro or Hi Pro programming device. Yes it’s slower. So what. It’s also a heck of a lot cheaper.

From what I see Oticon Xceed UP should work with (mini Pro/Hi Pro). Maybe your AliExpress seller ForSound is confusing recommended devices with compatible devices? Or maybe seller ForSound has experienced otherwise and we should listen up? Or maybe ForSound is being overly cautious?

2 Likes

I thought I saw something that implied NoahLink Wireless might work (that’s why I had a question mark) Just found another source that confirmed that cables are required. In the stuff from Oticon I shared they mention that they may stop supporting HIPRO and HIPRO serial (and hence MiniPro) at some indeterminate time in the future. If so, MiniPro users will be out of luck.

So based on the Cable Overview guide, the BTE UP doesn’t even need the FlexConnect cable.

I assume that the CS44 cable is what they call the Hi-PRO #3 programming cable? You just plug it directly into the BTE UP. How convenient!

2 Likes

I just used a mini PRO to update firmware on my OPN S 1 BTE’s - estimate was 26 minutes and it took 26 minutes. And yes, the CS44 cable directly into the BTE is better than the flexconnect but sometimes it just doesn’t want to plug in until I wiggle it around every which way and then one more…

I don’t think that (mini Pro/Hi Pro) users will be out of luck anytime soon due to the fact that they ain’t fast enough. imo> a CYA statement like that from the manufacturer was likely meant to coax their professional users to seek higher speeds as opposed to dwelling on (or complaining about) the ridiculously long Firmware update time of 30 minutes.

Cable Plugin Tip: If you have eagle eyes :eyes:, there is an alignment dot along with a corresponding grove on the plugin cylinder that allows it to be connected only with the proper alignment. Look for a red colored matching mark on the hearing aid and align the two:

1 Like

Nice, like phonak…

Yes, and the straight connectors have a red line to use as an alignment tool.

sorry, I want to ask. anybody here who has the link to download Noah3 ?

Not sure what Noah3 is. Are you talking about the Noahlink Wireless interface? It should be a plug and play device. If you want to check for its latest firmware version download, you can google it and find it on the HIMSA website.

https://www.himsa.com/products/all-about-noah-system-4/

You don’t need this to program your HAs, the software is only used by the audiology clinics.

Ah, OK, thanks for explaining. I had no clue what it was.