DIY - Self Programming the Oticon Opn – How To

It would appear the download link no longer works. Just redirects to oticon.com for me. If I use a UK VPN to access the site, I can see the support page, but it wants a login to download the latest version of Genie.

Yes, the old link no longer works. You can now get the Genie 2 version 2019.2 software here:

https://www.oticon.com/help

Which cable do I need for an OPN1 ITE ?

1. Run Genie 2
  2. Select a Client (or make up a client)
  3. Click Family from these choices (Client/Family/Selection/Fitting/End Fitting)
  4. In the Left Pane select Cable Overview

Thank you very much!

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: DIY Resound Cala 8

Yes, I have a Noahlink Wireless, and wanted to update the firmware, but noticed that I need a wired programming device.
I also have a Hipro, and I am sourcing now the flex strips.

Just want to share an experience to DIY folks on the OPN. I recently had an issue with my OPN 1 whereby when I talk in slightly louder than normal volume, I notice that the OPN opens up with a louder floor noise, then as I stop talking, the floor noise subsides quickly. But it gets annoying after a while with this phenomenon. When I got the new pair, the issue didn’t exhibit itself but after about 4 or 5 months, this issue became more frequent.

Anyway, I tried different things, and the only thing that seems to resolve the issue was when I changed the OpenSound Navigator Transition Help setting from High to Low. I shouldn’t have this issue after all, and at least my original pair didn’t exhibit this issue.

Anyway, I thought I’d share this here with Oticon OPN DIY folks in case you run into the same issue, you’d know how to fix it. If your OPNs are still under warranty, I’d try to get them replaced first. But since mine are now out of warranty, I had to resort to this fix.

I’m not sure if this is a hardware or software issue. I suspect that maybe it’s a software issue because a software feature change seems to resolve the issue.

3 Likes

Sorry to interrupt the discussion but I have a programming question for the OPN S series rechargeable minirites
Does the new OPN S rechargeable still have door for the lithium battery?
Still they need a hardwire programming device for firmware updates (if they have a door with the connector)
Thanks in advance

Genie 2 Help/Instructions for use/ then Scroll down to find Guides
Then Click Cable overview
c5

First of all I have been a member for a while now and want to thank everyone that contributes their knowledge to this forum. I don’t know how I could get any better information on Hearing Aids if I paid for it! I have the Oticon Opn 1s and have recently purchased the Noahlink wireless and have downloaded and installed the Genie 2 software. My firmware is up to date (6.1) on my aids and I don’t suspect there will be any more updates as they were purchased the 1st year they were issued. I have a short question. When I create a new client in Genie 2 and then connect to my Opn1s and accept the instrument settings to import from the HA’s settings, does it pick up my receiver power level and tip type or do I need to choose that info from the drop down lists? If I need to choose it, is there anyway to see what the power is on the receivers? I have a clear acrylic custom mold with a large hole so what tip would I choose, Power Mold? One issue I have is that I have an almost 90 degree turn in my right ear canal and have issues with the receiver getting lodged against the wall of the canal and have to constantly fiddle with it. I even use a small strip of moleskin around the molds to help keep the in. Does anyone else have this issue and have any suggestions as to how to totally resolve it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes it will transfer whatever has been programmed into the HAs, you can make another client as well, and call it whatever you like, then you can make any adjustments/experiments that you wish to do, if you have any issues then you can easily go back to your original client that you made.

Adding a little more to tenkans post.
Phonak Target will look at the receivers each time they are connected. I replaced the M receivers with P receivers and Target noticed this immediately. I had to go change the the receivers from M toP before I could proceed with programming. The tip type will have to be entered into the acoustics.
I suspect Genie does this too but not sure.

1 Like

I remember when I programmed mine, I had to choose the receiver power in the Fitting Level drop down menu. But that was a long time ago, so I’m not 100% sure of my recollection anymore. I don’t think that it’s a big deal, though. If it doesn’t choose it for you, or chooses incorrectly, you can always correct it manually anyway. You’d want to check that it has the correct receiver setting anyway.

As for finding out what power receiver you have, I guess you should already know up front. If not, there’ usually markings on the receiver with a number to tell you, like you should see 85 on a 85dB receiver marked on it.

Aside from color coding (Red=Right, Blue=Left) there are other features. Due to miniaturization you may not be “seeing” the other detailed features on the receivers;

• 60 = the number 60 inside a Green background
  • 85 = the number 85 inside an Orange background
  • 100 = the number 100 inside a Black background

Also, the opposite side of the receiver has the size/length of the wire,
sizes = (numbers 0 through 5)

Thank you all for the quick responses. Being a newbie at programming, I don’t want to do anything to negatively affect my HAs as I cannot function at work or home for that matter, without them. I found after removing one from the mold that they were the 85 with an orange background and the 3 mark on the other side just like in the pictures pvc posted. I appreciate those detailed pics pvc! I was able to see the markings after removing from the custom molds and putting a magnifying glass them. I should have just used the magnification on my phones camera as you did! :joy:
I am just going slow and easy and wanted a way to verify before proceeding to make any changes. I had received the Opn 1s right after they came out and had forgotten the power of the receivers. I should have known there were markings on the receiver to verify. I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I move forward. Thanks again for all the wonderful knowledge everyone here shares, it gives me the confidence to continue to move forward!

@GracieAllen Here is the thread for the Oticon OPN self programming, to help you look for it.

I just ordered this product (mini Pro with 2 CS44 cables) - Promotion!Digital Hearing Aid Programmer mini PRO USB Compatible with All Hearing Aids ,Functioned as Hi Pro Hipro USB|hipro usb|digital hearing aidhearing aid - AliExpress

but the seller claims that this mini Pro and the cables (CS44) are not compatible with Oticon Xceed UP 1. Is that true? I’m confused what to do with my order…

Not an Oticon person so take this with a grain of salt. My take from reading Genie 2 links is that it would likely work now, but that Oticon has plans for sometime in the future to only support HiPRO 2, at which time it MIGHT not work anymore. I take it Oticon still needs wired programmer for firmware updates? This really presents a challenge as firmware updates get bigger and bigger, seems like the risk of bricking the hearing aid go up if using a device that has questionable support and will take longer than HiPRO 2. I have no advice except to talk to somebody smarter than me.

If you have the programming software for your particular aids look in the software and see what devices are listed to program them.
I know with Phonak you have to select which device you will be using.