DIY - Self Programming the Oticon Opn – How To

Yes, at the default value for everything starting from scratch, this static mic noise is already there as soon as Full Directional is turned on, regardless of whether it’s the OPN 1 or OPN 3.

I have a new one for fellow Genie 2 self programmers:

Ever since I’ve had the Genie 2 for the last couple of weeks, I’ve noticed a few times now that when I made some changes to my settings (let’s call the change B), and decided to exit Genie 2 and store the change B on the instrument only and not into a session (because they were just temporary settings to try out something and I don’t want to record into an official session) -> later when I reopened the last saved session I had with Genie 2 (I selected “Genie 2” instead of “instrument” when connecting), I was expecting the value A that was last stored in the last session to appear. But instead I still see the change B that was last saved from my instrument.

Am I missing something when I expected value A to show but value B showed instead?

I did some checking in the Genie 2 help files to see if there was any mention of how things work when you first connect your aids - in other words what happens when the settings in the aids differ from the settings stored in the database. The only thing I could find was in the FAQ section of the firmware updater:

Here it seems that after a firmware update it automatically loads the settings from the most recent session (this happened for my aids after I updated the firmware so I can confirm this - I didn’t have to manually load the settings). Of course this doesn’t necessarily apply when you haven’t just updated the firmware. Maybe one of the audis on the forum can address this if they know the answer.

Another question: based on this thread Audiogram Direct, it sounds like In-Situ Audiometry was removed from Genie 2. But this link Key Features still shows that it’s available.

I searched around Genie 2 and I don’t find any In-situ Audiometry option. Just want to confirm that nobody else can find it in Genie 2 either.

I have not seen anything in Genie 2 regarding an in-situ audiometry option. It would be great if there was one.

This announcement that came out today Oticon Introduces ConnectClip for Oticon Opn - Now Available Globally says that the in-situ audiometry option is now available.

I tried to run the Genie Updater that came with the Genie 2 installation but I don’t see an Updater app appearing on my PC. I wonder if you see such an app showing up when you run yours? I’m trying to check to see if Oticon has uploaded a new version of Genie 2 that has the in-situ audiometry feature included yet or not.

Genie Updater is running when your computer is on, unless you have changed the default settings. If you click Exit in Genie Updater by mistake, you can re-open it from the Windows start menu: Programs > Oticon > Oticon Genie Updater.

How would you click Exit in the Genie Updater app if you don’t even the app showing in your task bar and when you launch the Genie Updater there’s no app appearing on the task bar? I open the Task Manager and don’t see such an app running…

I just gave you the entire text so as not to leave anything out. In your case just do this in Windows;
Programs > Oticon > Oticon Genie Updater.

Yes, that’s what I already did even before I posed the question on this thread.

Normally when you open up an app on Windows (10 in my case) you would see an icon for the app appearing in the task bar, and you’d be able to click on this icon to go to the app, but the app should pop up in a window on your screen. What I’ve been trying to say is that when I did the steps above (Programs > Oticon > Oticon Genie Updater), there is no app popping up a window on my screen nor is there an icon for the app showing on my task bar. So if there’s no window for the app, how would I even go into the app to control anything (like Exit the app)?

Two things may be needed. Running a separate Genie update app that’s in the Windows taskbar.

Second, going to preferences inside Genie fitting app and checking for updates.

Haven’t run this myself as I’m at work, but happy to check tonight.

Run it manually (if it’s not already running) then look in your system tray.
Click on the icon from your system tray, look in preferences, there’s an option to run the updater when you start Genie.
Capture

Ah, it’s a background app in the system tray! Got it now! Thanks a bunch, @pvc!!!

It sounds like PVC answered your question about how to find the Genie 2 updater. I checked myself and so far there does not seem to be an update available yet for the Genie 2 software.

I plan to keep checking - maybe something will show up soon.

Yeah, I updated the option in my Genie Updater to check for updates every day now instead of every week. It’s being done by the computer anyway…

I did the same thing. I’m really hoping that the in-situ audiometry feature does get added - I would very much like to have something like that. I’m not all that confident in the last audiogram that I had because the person doing it didn’t take very much time and seemed to be in a big hurry to get me out of there.

In a similar boat as you @Geekman

Actually, this brings up a question - is there any way that an individual can do their own audiogram? I have seen a few web sites that claim they provide one but they don’t appear to be all that accurate. Does anyone know of a way to accomplish this reasonable accurately without going to an audiologist?

That’s why I’m interested in the in-situ audiometry feature on Genie 2. But I’ve also used hearingtest.online with adequate success. See, my brother has hearing loss (not as bad as me) but he never wears any hearing aids. So we used this hearingtest.online testing to creating a rough audiogram for him so I could program my OPN 1 for him to let him try it out, now that I have the MiniPro and can do such a thing. That got him to try it out to become interested enough to make an appointment with Costco to get a more thorough hearing test. After the Costco hearing test, we compared the Costco result against the hearingtest.online result and it’s not too far off for AC. Of course the Costco test has more data points for finer frequency intervals, and also BC and UCL and SRT and WRC, etc. But the hearingtest.online data was enough for a quick and rough fitment to get my brother to try out my OPN 1.

I did the same thing with HearingTest.online and got results that are similar to my most recent audiogram but of course I have no way of knowing whether or not either one is really accurate. I suppose that they are both just approximations anyway and to be honest they do agree fairly well with each other. Maybe it really doesn’t matter that much as long as they are reasonably close to reality. Still, it would be great if we could generate our own audiograms using the hearing aids that we have - that way we could keep track of any changes that might occur as time goes by.

That’s really great that you were able to get your brother to look into getting aids. I have had some success getting some of my friends to get them but it can be difficult to convince them that it is worth it.