DIY If I can do it so can you

All this is why I went with Phonak 10 years ago and stay with them.

If a person wants to do self programming these are the things to think about before buying anything. You have to have a plan. The aids are just about the last thing to buy.

2 Likes

Agreed. I’m afraid I get frustrated with some who come here who have their new hearing aids and decide they want a smartphone app that will let them do everything the audiologist does.

Yes, I see it too.
Dusty said it well about reading and searching this forum to great lengths before starting self programming. As I learn more about the one and only programming software I use, Phonak, I feel for audiologist who have to understand 2,3 or more name brand softwares. The more I learn the more I realize I don’t know.

I agree, and suspect the reason some folks are pleased with their aids, and others disappointed, is not so much the brand of the aids, but how well the audiologist understands the software. It must be difficult trying to be proficient on multiple programs.

In my case I made the decision to go with Phonak, and will stay with them hoping to become better at using the Target software over time. You are correct that the longer I am at it the more I realize how much I still have to learn. I know I am getting better at it, because I can wear the aids and ear molds all day without discomfort, hearing things clearly around me, and go for hours forgetting they are in my ears. That’s success.

2 Likes

Bob, if I knew the answers to your questions I would be glad to reply but I don’t.
I think you will have much better luck posting your questions in one of the other DIY sections of this forum where the self-programmers lurk and know all this stuff. For example, do a search under the names of the programming equipment you have.

This is a good discussion so I will butt in.
These are my rechargeable hearing aids. Bluetooth A2DP is enabled on both aids. It was sheer luck that I bought these about 5 years ago because Bluetooth connection to my Samsung phone, Windows 10 computer, and ALead wireless mic is essential. The foam earbuds are my choice to replace the domes supplied with the aids. Bluetooth connection is perfect. After turning on my phone in the morning I hear “connected” in my right ear. When my computer turns on I hear “connected” in my left ear. When I play cards with my wife in the afternoon, I turn on the ALead mic and hear “connected” in my left ear.

I cannot hear without them and I cannot use a phone without them.
Newer, more expensive aids may improve speech clarity. I tried the COSTCO ReSound Preza 861 and speech clarity was good but Bluetooth was a flop. The audiologist must not have understood my requirements.

This is about all the programming I can do.

Does anyone have a suggestion for another hearing aid that might have better speech clarity?

I would think most modern hearing aids would be better for speech clarity.

It sounds like you have 3 Bluetooth devices that are important to you, even 4 if you add the TV for example.That shouldn’t be a problem with the right devices for whichever hearing aids you decide to go with. The trick is to understand what a particular set of aids need to do that. It can be different pending on the type phone you have. iPhones have more choices at this time but android phones will work with the new Phonak aids and the Costco KS9 aids.

As an example my Phonak Audeo B90 aids will connect to the TV using a TV Connector streaming to an intermediate device I hang around my neck called the Compilot. The Compilot communicates with my aids. It also is used to change volume or programs, pretty handy. I also have a device called a Remote Mic. It can be placed anywhere to pick up sounds I want to be streamed into both ears using the Compilot.

Different name brand aids use different devices to do the above mentioned things.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I am being picky but I would rather not have something hanging around my neck to enable the use of my Android phone. My TV has no audio output so I just use CC.
I will probably wait a few more years to see how things develop.

As mentioned, the new Phonak Marvel line of aids will connect to your android phone without an intermediate device.(Neck thing) Members use the TV connector to connect to the computer or TV with great results. This line of aids also has a remote device called a Partner Mic that could be used for your card playing.

If you were to move to an iPhone there are many more choices.

Wow! Your unaided hearing is a lot worse than mine.

1 Like

Did you have to pay to register and use the courses?

Not unless you ask for the continuing education credits. Just sign up and take advantage of the free courses.

Glad all the success stories here. I got all the programming equipments but I am still having trouble programming my Audeo b90-312T to the same level and my previous pair Audeo v90-13. My audiologist keep telling me that the b90-312T is not as powerful as the v90-13. I am in a bind.

If they have the same receivers they both have the same gain potential.
The size 13 batteries will just last longer between changes.

Are you programming with audiogram direct? Running feedback manager? Stay with those and Target recommendations and you will be close.

Thank you for clarify about the size. I do have the same receivers. I even went ahead and got a pair of cshell so they are both the same. I tried to copy the program from the v90 to the b90 but still not getting them the same as I used to. I may have to wipe the b90 and start over like you suggested.

You can try to use transfer fitting, which allows you to transfer data between different hearing aids.

Thank you. I will try to transfer the fitting later tonight. I learned how to program the buttons on the b90-312 to act as the volume control so it does help a lot. I been playing with the program and I need to find out a way to make the female voice louder so I can hear my wife and daughter better.

Well it’s been many months since I started this thread, and I was surprised to find it’s still active.

I finished messing with the programming back around July and have been very satisfied with the results until about a week ago, when I thought it was getting a bit more difficult to clearly hear voices on TV and certain other sounds.

Living in the SF Bay Area, we have been under a stay at home directive keeping our distance longer than anywhere else in the country, and I would not have looked forward to having to visit an Audiology department. Thankfully all it took was a short trip to my desk to fire up the Target software, run an audiogram direct test to validate that my hearing had indeed fallen off a bit. Based on the test results I made a few programming changes, ran some sound clips from the media library to make sure everything was dialed in correctly and all is good again.

I should mention that in August I developed a problem with one of the my aids. If anything bumped against it like my eye glasses it would send a loud click to my ears. After doing a wide internet search, and choking on repair prices I ended up sending it to Dallas Hecimovich who has an Ebay listing as meds4.2

This guy did great work for a very reasonable price, and my aid came back better than I expected. If you ever need a hearing aid repaired, I would give him a try. He’s not real fast, but that was not an issue for me because I had a pair of backup hearing aids to use in the interim.

All things considered DIY is the way to go. Especially during these times.

4 Likes

I didn’t mean that he was crazy. It was a joke about name confusion. At least one newbie went out and bought a NOAHlink on EBay because of said name confusion. He bought this;
c3

What he really wanted to buy was this;

Congratulations, glad self programming is working out for you.
I too think about all the members needing a fitter to do something with their aids and having a tuff time. Us DIY folks are doing ok.

1 Like