Distortion at (sudden) loud speech/sounds with Oticons?

Does it sound like a really quick warble/flutter during sounds/speech if so it’s the feedback management system. Turn it off or put it on low. I had the same issue.

1 Like

If your voice sounds too loud then it may be due to occlusion, get your audiologist to check which acoustic vent setting is active on your hearing aids. On my oticon own 2 iic I can select the size of the vent which changes the sound of my voice as it affects other settings within the program.

I have 1mm vents and the setting used is for closed domes. Changing it to a vented setting in acoustics didn’t seem to affect the gains much (just a slight increase in the approximately 625-1500hz range). Are there other settings that it changes?

My money is on this as well. I’m going to ask my HCP to set it to low.

Is there any kind of compression or limiting as far as loud sounds are concerned in your hearing aid?

Ehm, how do you mean?

Geeze, you are well versed in how they work! Wow.

Same thing. I need the real time EQ adjustments like in the Widex app to tickle the sound as much as I can while out and about. Opticon EQ seems only available when you are streaming from telephone or laptop or TV if you have device. That’s about as far as I got with it. Will check it out again.

The Oticon Companion app I have is 1.2.0, and that is the same version available on the app store as of 9/2/2023. But what it says about the equalizer is “the sound equalizer allows you to adjust the volume settings of your surroundings.” That makes no sense to me at all. Perhaps it was poorly worded. But I tried the equalizer in a restaurant or home, jacking the settings way up and down and heard no difference. It was only when I was streaming from my iPhone or MBP that they seemed to work.
Caveat: I didn’t fiddle with it much.

Try deleting the app and reinstalling it. An app update wasn’t sufficient for it to show up on my phone.

Here’s the full info for the app I have. Is yours the same?

The numbers look the same. I use an iPhone XR.

I have iPhone 13 Pro, but I’d be surprised if that matters. Maybe it’s my aids. They’re Real 1 so can’t compare directly to yours. Firmware is 1.0.1, and I recall that there is a newer version out.

I have the Real 1 with a newer firmware version 1.1.0.

2 Likes

@x475aws
The Real HA need the new firmware update “version 1.1.0”
With that new update you have access to the new EQ adjustments in the Oticon Companion app

If you are non DIY , ask your audi to install the new firmware to your Reals

1 Like

Hello elderflower,

I just came across your post and am in contact with my audiologist regarding this same issue. Did you ever resolve this?

Dr. Horton,

I’m following up as you requested on our 10/18/2023 visit.

The Reals are now performing more as expected, similar to the OPN’s but we should schedule a visit when you can to tweak some settings.

“That weird distortion is still present. It’s difficult to describe but I’ll try. Only when I or another person speaks normally but a bit louder like when excited there is a trilling, chattering, vibrating sound to the speech.”

The My Music program sounds muddy, the General program sounds better?

Power molds feel a little loose with some feedback. Speech sounds better and music richer when they’re held in manually by hand. Did Oticon offer any solutions to the peeling coating material? I wonder if closing the pinhole vents would help?

Yes! Putting the Feedback manager to low instead of high solved the issue for me.

1 Like

This is usually referred to as "Flutter, or TTTF (Talking through the Fan).
As @elderflower posted have your audi adjust Feedback Manager:

The default MyMusic program is very poorly thought out by Oticon! They based it on the Harman Curve with some tweaks which make music sound like an 8 track on a 1970’s boom-box!
Luckily, if you have a competent fitter, and can induce them to go into the MyMusic program, they can fine tune the kneepoints, and controls to make it acceptable.
TBH, I’ve never achieved success with the MyMusic program, and when I want to go to a live concert, or even listen to music at home, I use my OPN S aids, which have the original Music program.

You may need to have the molds redone. Rule of thumb is keep your mouth slightly open while the gunk sets.
The vents are usually selected by your audiogram results, but you can get vent plugs for a better seal, if needed.

1 Like

Thanks for your response flash.
Now if I can just get an appointment.

Your 1st 2 issues may be resolved if your audi does RemoteCare.
From your Oticon Companion app tap on “More”, and you’ll see the screen for it.
For the molds, you’d probably have to go in for new impressions.
Good luck.