Digital Hearing Aids: Prices Coming Down?

In the thread from the link above, a member informed me that the digital hearing aid market is around 12 years old.

My question is when a new top of the line model comes out at say around $2,500 per aid, what price drop is there for “last year’s model” that was bumped from being top of the line?

Do these “has-beens”, bumped from their top-of-the-line status, drop to something like $2,000 per aid, $1,500? $1,000?

Just trying to get a feel for the pricing drops in models as upgrades are introduced . . .

Thanks everybody!

Generally last year’s models are available on line at substantially reduced prices…but most times quantities are limited.

The most bang for your buck in hearing aids is almost always the middle priced tier and even the lowest price digital model may do the job. Unfortunately most professionals derive their compensation from the sale of merchandise (a hearing aid) just like any retailer. It is always a challenge for a professional to forsake the big bucks available in the high end products. Some do and most don’t.

I for example have a severe loss and difficult fitting problems, yet after extensive hands on testing of various priced models found that the lowest priced ones actually performed better for me than the high priced spread.

There are a few brave professionals that have written scientific papers purporting to show that for most losses, anything beyond 4 or 5 channels actually detracts from speech comprehension. Of course every American from birth on is inculcated with the idea that more is better. The more bells and whistles on an aid the better? the aid.

I am not talking about useful stuff like the new BlueTooth,FM, and various remote control coupling systems. Ed

speech understanding is maximize when you use 4 channels,
more channel do not degrade nor improve speech understanding…
that is a document fact…

However, more channels could be usefull for noise reduction, feedback canceler etc…

Be aware that there is a dif… between bands for gain and a channel…

I don’t see it working quite that way. In fact the company I worked for came out with a radical range of new technology back in 2006. They offered the old stuff slightly cheaper for a while, and then just dumped it. Frankly, even to save a grand it would have been a false economy. True, that older stuff is still supported, even stuff that was around in 2000. But it seems so old fashioned compared to what is available now.

Remember that if you buy technology on its way out, you are more likely to run into problems with support for it down the road. You are also saving some money on your investment, but if you wear those aids for 10 years (which is possible), you are enjoying inferior hearing for a decade. For the equivalent of a few hundred bucks a year extra you could have enjoyed better hearing all that time.

I heard when siemens introduces a new high end products it starts to discount their other older products… I have heard they do this in the export markets