Difficulty pairing ComPilot with Plantronics BT300/MDA200 with office phone

Hi,

We have Avaya digital phones at work and I wanted to bluetooth to mine via the ComPilot to use with my phonak aids. There is a plantronics switcher (MDA200) that goes into the phone and has a usb port for a little BT transmitter (BT300). A couple of different instructions on the web (one from phonak, one from Plantronics) that describe how to pair them. These instructions differ in the order of events - one says to start pairing on the ComPilot first before plugging in the BT300, the other says vice versa. But neither of these work. Using either set of instructions, both the transmitter and the streamer flash for a half minute, then both turn off. Nothing turns full blue indicating successful pairing. And I checked it anyway - not paired. Anyone with experience with this? Could it just be a bad BT300?

Thx,

First, I would make sure there are no other bluetooth devices powered on and in range. You shouldn’t have to do this but I have seen it be an issue with bluetooth devices. In other words, if your phone is paired with the ComPilot, turn your phone off first. Also, are you sure the Avaya doesn’t have the Avaya Bluetooth Adapter installed? If it does you don’t need the MDA200 and BT300. http://www.telecomex.com/avaya-ipphonebluetoothadapter.html

If you get the same results my advice would be to pair each one, separately, with other devices so you can see where the problem is. If you turn off the Compilot and try to pair the BT300 with a Bluetooth headset, and it pairs and then connects, you would be pretty sure it is not the BT300 or MDA200.

I dont have experience with the Plantronics gear, but is the ComPilot going into pairing mode for sure? The blue light blinks rapidly when it is. You should set the BT300 to ‘scan’ after the ComPilot is in pairing mode (blinking rapidly) for the two to mate up.

yes they are both going into pairing mode (fast blinking). but then they both stop after a half minute. i also tried it with the antenna/loop around my neck and could hear it say ‘compilot pairing’

i’ll try Don’s suggestion next. i did turn off all the bluetooths in my office but forgot about the guy next door! will see if i can do this well out of any bt range. hopefully that’s it.

Don, thanks. I tried pairing them without other BT interfering (turned off my phone, took everything to a far corner of our building), but same story. Lots of blinking, no blue permanence. Will see if I can find a BT headset to try the BT300 separately. I don’t know why our IT guys went this route rather than the Avaya bluetooth adaptor kit - will ask when he comes up to check it out. Maybe its something to do with the phone system here and integrating it to our ethernet.

in another forum, a technical expert suggests that there were different models of the BT300 and that we may have received the wrong one, incompatible with the Phonak. we’ll check this out next

I don’t know anything about that but the one I have, which works great with my Resound Phone Clip+, is a BT300, model number SSP2714-01. On the box it also says Part number: 92714-01.

I don’t know what the -01 means, but maybe it is significant.

onyaw - Did you ever find a solution for this? I am having an identical experience. I’ve followed all suggestions in this thread, to no avail. Thank you!

Don, do you know if Plantronics stopped making the SSP-2714-01? I cannot find it on their website. Are there any new devices that will work with my ComPilot?

I have used the MDA200 and the SSP-2714-01 in my last 2 jobs, but had to give them back when I left. I’m currently on a contract assignment that will convert to permanent and will need to return the equipment to the staffing agency unless the client buys it from them. I was looking on the website so I could send the client HR person links to the two things I need and discovered the USB adapter is no longer there. I am hoping the staffing agency just sells them the one I have now.

I just bought the MDA200 (a 2-week wait to get it), the Plantronics power adapter for it (got it yesterday), and the BT300 (received today) from Amazon for a total of $135 for all 3 pieces. I had called Plantronics tech support and was told that they do not support its use with the REsound Phone Clip+ because they don’t know if it will work. But they said that they do support its use with the ComPilot. Bluetooth is a Standard, to be called a Bluetooth device, it must meet/match the Bluetooth Standard. As such, any Bluetooth adapter should work with any Bluetooth device. The Bluetooth standard is also backwards compatible, meaning that a Bluetooth 3.0 device will support/talk to/work with a Bluetooth 2.0 device.

Let us know if the BT300 works with your compilot because in the past it did not which is why I got the SSP-2714-01 after reading about on this site.

I don’t know if there is something else that will work besides the BT300 and the ssp2714-01.

The MDA200 didn’t have a usb port? That’s odd.

Yes, there’s a port. I meant the USB dongle (BT300/SSP2714-01)

Found out today that the client, who will be my employer in 3 weeks, has arranged to buy the devices from my staffing agency.

I was not able to use the BT300 at the first job where I used this set up, so I got the SSP2714-01 after reading about the issue (with the Compilot) on this forum.

Hi all,

Just to add to this thread for Oticon Streamer Pro and Avaya phones.

I use a Sarabec PL51 amplifier device, which is connected via my handset, then I plug in my Streamer Pro via 3.5mm cable into the back of the Sarabec device, connect to my hearing aids and then it automatically connects when I call or pick up the phone. It streams nicely into both ears and works well.

This is a rather old thread but since it’s been resurrected, I read through it and want to add my 2 cents to it.

I don’t have the Plantronics BT300 but I have the BT600, designed to work with my Plantronics Voyager Focus Bluetooth headset. But I think it works on the same principle.

I thought that the BT600 (or the BT300 for that matter) is simply a USB dongle that interfaces between your PC and the headset. If your PC has Bluetooth, then you can probably pair it directly with the headset and don’t need the USB dongle. But if your PC doesn’t have Bluetooth, you can use the dongle to be the middle man to connect between your PC and your headset. The USB dongle also help make things more seamless when using soft phone apps on the PC like Skype for Business (or previously known as Lync).

But I don’t necessarily believe that the communication between the BT600 (or BT300) to the headset is via Bluetooth because there’s no need for discovery and pairing between these 2 devices. They just seem to know each other’s presence and communicate to each other automatically. I actually use 3 separate BT600 dongles on 3 different laptops I use, with a single Focus headset, and as long as the laptops are not on simultaneously, the headset just works with whichever USB dongle that’s currently on connected to the active laptop.

So while the headset is a Bluetooth device, the USB dongle doesn’t appear to be a Bluetooth device. It’s not the same as a Bluetooth USB dongle that adds Bluetooth support to your PC. It’s designed only specifically to communicate with the Plantronics headset it’s designed to pair with.

That’s probably why nobody on this thread has been able to pair the BT300 with their Bluetooth enabled HA streamer. If you want to pair your streamer with a PC that doesn’t have Bluetooth support, maybe buy an adapter like this one https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Bluetooth-Adapter-Raspberry-Compatible/dp/B009ZIILLI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490574362&sr=8-3&keywords=bluetooth+adapter+to+pc from Amazon and try to pair it with your streamer. But note that this is just an example, I don’t own this adapter nor do I know if it’ll work for your streamer.

I use the MDA200 and the bt300 model SSP2714-01 every day with my Resound PhoneClip+ Bluetooth device. The BT300 is most certainly a Bluetooth device. I have both office phone and desktop computer connected to the MDA200. I use it for hours every day for phone calls and meetings and it is rock-solid.