Differences between Phonak TV Connector 1.1 and 2.0

My local Costco is now offering TV connector Version 1.1 as they can’t get Version 2 due to the chip shortage.

They advised me that it (1.1) is “not as good” as V 2 but couldn’t be more specific. The price is the ubiquitous AU$130 - which is less than a third of the cost of most the Phonak TV connectors on ebay.

Does anyone here know what the difference is? It looks like (on ebay) V1.1 has no top volume button…

Not sure what the implications of that are. My google-fu has failed me :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a 1.1 (or 1.a, whatever) that I got shipped direct form Phonak, and a 2.0 I got off ebay. I haven’t checked to see if either will do dolby over the toslink, but they sound exactly the same to my ears. The 1.1 has no buttons on top like the v2 does. There is a power button and volume buttons. I like the volume buttons. I reach over and adjust it hooked up to my macbook. I use the 1.1 with a tv and use the app to control volume there.

WH

1 Like

btw, the 2.0 tv connector was about the same price on ebay as the 1.1 at Costco. I bought in US, I’d hope you have similar available to you there.

WH

I bought a refurbished V2 off ebay. Works great.
This post in this thread might have some ideas of the differences.

TV Connector Comparison Chart.pdf (276.6 KB)

3 Likes

So some buttons and some flashy lights notwithstanding, there’s not much difference.
What does the Dolby give you? It’s outputting stereo. If it’s getting Dolby Digital (DD) 5.1 or whatever from the source then it’s simply mashing it all down to output stereo. Unless it means that it can’t decode a DD 5.1 transmission and outputs nothing…which I would doubt.

I just compared the two manuals:
The user manual for TV Connector (1.0) actually states that the unit receives and transmits only mono or stereo signals. You have to make sure that no Dolby Digital or DTS is used. If such settings are present, it is indicated by a red flashing LED.
I assume this means it wont work with Dolby.
So, if you cannot disable Dolby for your TVs output you might have a problem with TV Connector 1.0 or 1.1.

1 Like

I have the 2.0 version from ebay, and for me the Dolby support is important for 2 reasons:
So others that are watching can enjoy the surround sound setup.
I can balance the Connector volume so that I also hear the surround effects without losing the speech clarity.
I am very happy with this setup as I was having to use CC before for anything other than news broadcasts.

1 Like

Anyone know if the standby mode on the 1.1 is actually 2 mins?

I have V2 is when using conventional headphone jack talking on the phone, no audio (ie if I am speaking and the other person is quiet) for 45 seconds means it goes into standby mode. Then I have to wait 3-5 seconds while the other person is talking for it to come out of standby mode and start streaming again. Results in lots of “could you repeat that, please?”

It’s not a problem using the optical input (then it never goes into standby). But 2 mins would be better than 45 seconds!

They are the same for me.

WH

1 Like

I’ve got both.

It’s the same for me.

:honeybee:

1 Like