Did my audiologist give me the correct ear molds for my hearing loss?

I have Oticon hearing aids for quite a few years. First with the Oticon OPN and now the “More” model in Mini RITE. My audiogram is in my profile but also embedded here:

Since I have had some feedback issues in past when something gets close to my ears (eg. playing by with my kids and wearing over the ear headphones), she perceived me awhile ago custom earmolds… not sure what they are technically called but here’s a photo:

I’ve always wondered whether these are the right molds for my hearing loss. I don’t believe my hearing loss at low frequencies is that much so wonder if I should be plugging my ears as much as these molds do since it means I’m now losing the natural hearing of the low frequencies.

I wonder if just for feedback management she did this as a simple fix vs another solution (in worst case, a different brand HA that has different feedback control for my case?).

So much knowledge here in this community I wanted some input.

I believe there is no right or wrong molds for any loss. It depends how comfortable you are with molds or dome and fitting programming. If it fits comfortably to your ear. It’s good.

Are you comfortable with these molds?

You mentioned plugging, did you mean it feels plugged and clogged? You mentioned lose natural hearing of low, I believe that is called Occlusion Effect.

I don’t see vent line in your molds (a hole in the molds). I guess they don’t make vent for you? this is bad because you have normal - mild loss at low frequency.

All is guess, I never meet with your fitter so this probably they just lazy put you on molds just to get the simple fix for your feedback issues.

Molds is not wrong choice. Its comfortable and you should feel nothing in your ear.

1 Like

Using molds for your loss is fine,but they definitely need to be vented so as to let the natural environment in the lower frequencies, so yeah using molds to fix feedback is ok, nothing wrong with that, so going for another type/brand of HAs just to fix feedback is not the correct way to do this, those feedback manager/control is for treating the symptoms not the cause in most cases, I’d also ask what power are those receiver’s your using, they look big in that picture of your mold?

I’ve added a photo of my vent to the original post. Here’s that photo and a photo of the molds In my ear for sizing

I don’t have an occlusion effect any more since I’ve had these molds for awhile.

My point of my post was due to various posts I’ve read that state these types of molds aren’t ideal if you don’t have low frequency loss unless your high frequency loss is so significant you need them.

I believe they are 80 or 85, I can’t remember which.

My friend has a flat 30 dB to 40 dB loss and wear ear moulds with vents.

Right ear moulds for your hearing loss, also includes what is appropriate for you as an individual and lifestyle, not just audiogram.

Ok the 85dB are suitable, I see you have a vent in the micro mold as well, so that’s good, looks like 1.0mm to 1.4mm which again is ok for occlusion and for letting some environmental lows in.

So you do have a loss here, at 1000Hz it’s upto 40db so the molds are no problem, plus they look like a good fit in your ear canal, as in they don’t stick out or anything, nice.

1 Like

Personally, I prefer Domes over Earmolds. Also, It’s easy to try Domes in place of your Earmolds. However, there are two obstacles;

1. You (or your Audi) must use a tool to remove/re-insert your Earmolds
  2. You (or your Audi) must change the acoustics settings in Genie2 fitting software

Here’s a link that provides more details;

btw> Did you know that your current setup with Earmolds requires two different styles of wax filters? See the same link above for more information about wax filters.

I have custom molds with my HAs and really love them. I used domes with my new aids for two months, so I had a good amount of time to form a comparative evaluation.

@jeffrey I’m curious; do you wear Oticons? Who changes the wax filters (You, or your Audi)? Are both wax filters changed (inner and outer) using two different types of filters?

I am just curious about how the molds are maintained. Maybe (in practice) just the outer wax filters are changed because it is simpler, and maybe because the inner wax filters don’t get dirty anyway?

I didn’t know this. My Audi told me it was just the one outer wax filter which I change ever so often.

Here’s a direct link in case you didn’t scroll down 5-or-so replies in the previous link. It also includes a video showing the two filters;

I have Signia AX7 aids. There’s an inner wax filter that the audi would have to change. Surprisingly to me, I was told that these molds don’t need an outer wax filter. The shape of my ear canals etc. have been radically altered by surgery. I produce a lot of wax. However after storing my aids in a passive dryer overnight I brush them clean every morning OR I use a HA vacuum I purchased on line that has really changed things for me. I used to have to take my old aids in for cleaning every two weeks or so. No more. So yeah, no more wax guards for me and I like that a lot.

AFAIK> Oticon is the only manufacturer that I know about that uses two sets of wax filters;

• Inner Oticon Prowax Minifit (Black replacement tool) for receivers
  • Outer Oticon Prowax (Light Gray replacement tool) for Earmolds

Sorry for the edits. It took a while to get pictures. The miniFit for receivers also come in this original Black packaging. But the replacement tool is still Black;

I used mini pro wax for my Oticon ITE aids and the pro wax for my MiniRite aids with acrylic ear molds. I hated the mini pro wax because they were so hard to see and install.

Thank you! I guess it makes sense the receiver can push out of the earmolds. Where can I buy the tool for this?

I dunno, maybe ask your Audi to give you one (size=60 or 85) depending on your receiver size. These are mine (the black ones) but I don’t want to give them up.

I have a very similar hearing to you and wear Oticon engage BTE with thick tubing, custom mould and a 1.4mm vent. Although my last test was 5 months ago and I have a progressive Hearing and certain it’s gotten worse. I’d say you definitely have the right mould and could consider a full earmould to trap frequencies in for better speech understanding.