Did I give good advice to a co worker?

I don’t know if it’s a routine loss, but an audiologist would quickly determine if it isn’t and would refer to an ENT.

2 Likes

He doesn’t trust the medical establishment

Btw, an audiologist is part of the medical establishment.

Sounds like he has a long road ahead… bet he’s also an Anti-Vaxxer.

Ain’t got a dog in this fight go luck

1 Like

The medical community kills over 250,000 patients a year because of errors, what’s there to be concerned about?

I know you won’t change his distrust of the medical establishment, although that broad brush position is a bit like not trusting guys in their 30’s or people who work in your career field, or at your company, etc. Absolutely he does not have to purchase anything (other than the visit/consultation) or follow/believe any recommendations from an ENT or an audiologist . . . or a mechanic or a plumber :wink: BUT . . . why deprive himself of information that might (or might not) make a difference? Then it’s not a bad healthcare provider depriving him of a good outcome, it’s him deciding ahead of time to not even look for a better outcome. Decades ago I know that people felt intimidated by certain professionals & thought that somehow they were supposed to do what they are told, but hey - this guy is way ahead of that. So fine - it’s okay to have a healthy amount of skepticism and not just blindly do what someone advises, but . . . equally (or I would say more) misguided would be to deprive oneself of the autonomy of information. I like that you suggested an ENT because at his age, there could be so many reasons and at least getting a medical eval & audiogram would give him info that he can then choose to use - or not. Like another responder, my husband knew for decades that his hearing was declining. As a professional chef, he also knew that the years under commercial vents in a noisy environment was the likely cause. But he did nothing. First he was too young, then as he got older, he did not want to feel or look “old” (to himself or others). So he did nothing. When he finally went to the ENT this year for an exam & audiogram & followed up by purchasing hearing aids at Costco, he realized how much he had lost by waiting. It’s not just all the years he missed hearing well, but the cumulative effect of waiting, i.e., training his brain/ears to not hear/listen (not sure of all the right terms), costs him now. It wasn’t just a matter of No Hearing Aids = I Missed Some Things but NOW Hearing Aids = Everything’s Perfect. He (and I) didn’t know what we didn’t know. Also, he now says that all the personal angst he put himself through that made him deny/avoid the whole issue was . . . for nothing. At least in 2022, no one he works with even knows he has hearing aids - they are BTH, and the BTH part pretty much matches his hair color and no one notices. Also, everyone wears some kind of earbud, bluetooth, etc., etc., now, so what’s the difference? There is no shame in wearing a jacket on a cold day, a walking boot if you’ve injured your foot, or a hearing aid if you need one. I like that you respected his distrust of the medical profession & maintained communication about it. Perhaps he will consider just getting more info, no pressure to follow through - that’s what people who “don’t like doctors” don’t quite get - it’s okay to accept their education, knowledge & expertise and still make your own decision once you have more information. Good luck!

1 Like

Outstanding!

Helping people realize how helpful it is to get hearing aids!

Retired teacher here (as of today!). A couple of years ago, a teacher in our building had a reputation for being loud. I didn’t know him very well.

The teacher across the hall from him kept her classroom door closed all day (stifling heat in her room) because she couldn’t teach over him. However, no teacher dared to suggest to him that he was loud, etc.

When the teacher across the hall from him told me about the situation, I went to his room and used my own experience as a starting point, asking him whether he’d had his hearing tested (he had, but thought that there was nothing that would help).

I told him how getting hearing aids had changed my life, and how I literally cried when I could hear things I’d been missing for years, and how I realized that I had a sore throat every day because I was raising my voice in the classroom. I had started talking quietly and the kids responded by talking quietly too. The whole atmosphere in my classroom changed because I got hearing aids.

This teacher was inspired by my story. He went to the VA (he was a veteran) and got hearing aids. He was thrilled. After that, we talked on a regular basis about our hearing. It was wonderful!

3 Likes

Nice point,. ziploc!

1 Like