Declaration of Hearing Aid in employment onboarding documentation

I declared it because I’m not ashamed of it and I know, even with my hearing aids I need a little extra help sometimes.

Also, I think that should any issue arise in the future, they will have known what my issue was when I was hired.

1 Like

It is depending on how severe the hearing loss and how severe the word recognition scores on hearing tests. I have been declared hearing disabled for 15 years.

1 Like

WRONG…Tips on Applying for Disability with Hearing Loss | Disability Benefits Help

1 Like

Piling on to this post. Other posts have already mentioned lots of things. I’d like to add more to the accommodations part. Hearing loss is very often progressive— over time, the kinds of accommodations you need might change- perhaps later you’ll want CART for meetings. Maybe you’ll want to add a remote microphone like a Roger device, and so on. Besides, technology in “our” field is rapidly changing, and who knows what goodies will be available in a couple years. If your employer is “with” you, you’ll get financial help. My employer even brought in expert trainers to coach my co-workers on optimizing communication with me.
Maybe you can begin to articulate what skills you’re hearing loss brings to you, and how that benefits your employer. It’s called “Deaf Gain”. For instance, with hearing loss, you’re probably super resourceful, good a troubleshooting, and tenacious in achieving a goal.

2 Likes

Well, that sums me up in a sentence! I’ve had both going on since my teens. And despite that being known as a “disability” I SO recall how none of the phones sold up till the '90s or so had any kind of VOLUME control on them. It’s like we in the hearing-impaired would not even have a safe way to communicate in a 911 situation.

In the '80s I bought a clunky thingamajig that strapped onto the receiver end of a phone. THAT device had a volume control and worked well, but I could never hang up the phone after a call cuz it was so big it wouldn’t depress those two small buttons on the old-fashioned desk phone.

LOL. :unamused:

1 Like

The SSA it as a Disability eligible for Benefits.Hearing Impairment is in the Blue Book Section 2.10 and 2.11

Sorry but it is according to the SSA Blue Book section 2.10 and section 2.11

Glad to hear that because it should be!

We still have NOT advanced with Federally Subsidized Phones for the Deaf except for the Hamilton Cap Tel 2400i which reads out the conversation and can keep it stored.CapTel cordless is Junk as it is hard to adjust the incoming volumn.My Signia Hearing Aids have bluetooth so I can hear the conversation from my iPhone,I also have multiple iPhone Apps that have Live Caption which configure the RTT and TTY conversation protocols.CapTel also has an App,you may be eligible for BOTH Federal and State Telephones which I am living in Florida.Forget where they say “We come to your Home and set it up” they dont,just mail out the phone to your home…

OW. Luckily, I can hear A-OK on my cell phone that’s paired + connected. Even on the landline, I do quite well holding the phone up to that “sweet spot” behind the ear, and even better if I put the aids in Acoustic Phone program.