Decision about Oticon Xceed - Help Needed!

This is what I see for an HP power Rexton, Mosaic HP 80 6C. It does seem to work for her loss, so the need for a UP hearing aid may not be certain. It would be really useful to know what she has now for a hearing aid, and if the fitter believes it does not have enough power. Assuming it came from Costco, they should tell you that.

Notice the blue shading. It is taking input frequencies from 2 kHz to 10 kHz and squeezing them down into the 2 kHz to 3 kHz range. That is frequency compression.

I am presuming that she is not a cochlear implant candidate for whatever reason (and/or a surgical candidate depending on the truth of that bone line).

There are a couple of different options for UP hearing aids that she could look at. But hearing aids aside, did the audiologist talk to you about reasonable expectations? With a loss like that, she will likely always need visual support for hearing. Certainly you can get a clearer call via bluetooth connectivity, but this may not be enough to make a significant difference for her. Is she a cellphone kind of person, or would she be better off looking into captioned phones, or learning to use Skype with family members with live closed captioning? Has she turned on the closed captions on her television?

She likely won’t be able to hear at church with the hearing aids alone, no matter which hearing aid she gets. If this is a goal, she’ll need a remote microphone (unless the church has other assistive listening devices that are hearing aid compatible) and she’ll need to sit up front.

Her friends and family members need to be made aware of her hearing limitations and need to be recruited to help communicate effectively with her. She may need help with this.

2 Likes

Let’s get real here. If I buy two HA’s (outside of Costco) for $6000, I’m not going to buy the same two HA’s at Costco for $1500. Maybe you meant $3000. That’s still a stretch. Secondly Costco does not offer new HA’s that just hit the market. You won’t find the Oticon Exceed at Costco since the majority of their HA’s the chain offers go back a year or two. Still good HA’s but if you want 2019 HA or soon to be 2020 HA you won’t find them at Costco. Also Costco does not carry all brands of HA’s and offers some under different names. Going forward I believe Costco will be the “elite” OTC provider for HA that are reasonably priced - but again your dealing with a wearhouse chain that sells far more then just hearing aids.

I think it could be good for Bee (I’m looking at their hearing aid ATM so won’t know until next year) and for me, it will be a huge jump from a P to SP
if she wants the 675s, go for it I’m still keeping that one in mind for my mom if she ends up changing from '14

No I mean $6000 for a pair. What does a pair of Marvel M90’s cost at a private clinic? And, the OP has been quoted $3800 for one aid.

I have a feeling you don’t know what is at Costco and how they operate. When they sell name brand aids they change the name of them to protect the private dealers. The ReSound Vida is not sold by private dealers. Nor is the Phonak Brio 3. You might be surprised how similar they are to the more familiar model names.

If Bee already has a good relationship with the audiologist at Costco, it would seem logical to follow his advice. The only risk at Costco is the tIme required to purchase and receive the hearing aid. In the grand scheme of things, the TV streamer, although not cheap is well worth purchasing from Costco. If after making the purchase at Costco, Bee decides her purchase is not providing the expected results, get a refund and try something different. She just needs to pay attention to the return window. If she likes the aids but not the streamer, she can return just the streamer.

Also remember that Costco can fir Westone ear molds for a fraction of what an independent audiologist will charge. With the gain that she will require, I would expect the ear molds to make a huge difference. If they need to be remade, Costco will remake for no charge.

I understand the desire to save money on the older iPhone, but remember that Apple is cutting off support for older phones. I would suggest looking at a newer model.

BTW - The Oticon App on iPhone pretty much negates the need for a remote and is far easier for elderly to master. The Connectclip is normally only useful to iPhone users if there is need to make a connection to a Bluetooth device such as a computer. Again, if she is interested, she can purchase and try it with the right to return as per Costco’s policy.

Keep us informed as to her chosen path and good luck.

1 Like