Dear Phonak, your Lumity battery isn't good enough

So - is it the case that a P100 is not even on the market yet? I am deaf as a cinderblock, and I’d consider jumping from a 90 to a 100 if it gave me more POWER and ability to jack up the gain.

I never knew that it would also come with more rechargeable battery life, and at my current 17.5 hrs, I’ve resigned myself to the reality of never getting through a 24-hr day on just a single pair of aids.

Yep, I used to have some charging probs, and also - weirdly - the aids would SHRIEK at top volume in the charging base with lid closed. Only my dear hubs would hear that and give the base a jiggle to seat them right. It hasn’t happened since I had my audi turn the aids OFF when I hang them up in the charger every night.

@1Bluejay P100 is just the OP suggestion, not sure if even Phonak have thought about it, unless if OP is phonak’s matrix agent, in this case he is taking us for Mr Anderson; I ain’t taking the blue pill btw.
If you want more power from your Audeo Lumity, then the best course is to see your HCP, as from your audiogram, the Audeo Lumity still has some margin, me thinking.
On the battery side, well, that’s what we are babbling about, we want the HA manufacturer to respect their user/patients base and provide long lasting rechargeable HA (long lasting, not sure how you will get people to agree on a minimum run time, 24h? 48h? 72?.. how long is good enough, bearing in mind that the rechargeable batteries will degrade over time, and most aren’t user serviceable), and COMMITMENT in providing same HA portfolio but with disposable batteries, NO DISCRIMINATION.

1 Like

It’s called planned obsolescence.

An article I read a few months back said we live in a landfill society.
It was about how they really don’t fix things anymore.
It’s all about selling new items.
Companies do not want their stuff repaired.
It’s not good for their bottom line.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response.

I get where you’re coming from but the Phonak Lumity is cutting edge tech akin to buying an iPhone 15 Pro Max. Whilst the core package still has battery that’s ’good enough’ for a lot of people, there is an upgrade package for those who want more. Just like more iPhone storage.

One could also argue that if Phonak offered this package, other manufacturers would take note of this market leader product and replicate. Within a few generations extended battery life would become standard.

Additionally a fair number of people would just get as insurance is covering bulk of the cost.

For those who cannot even afford the P30 then perhaps looking at the previous generation would allow better access.

I agree the best and latest features should be readily accessible for these medical devices but the reality is they are for profit businesses.

1 Like

Thanks. I feel like Bluetooth streaming is a double edge sword. One the one hand it’s convenient to never have to remember headphones. On the other hand people don’t know I’m listening to something and the sound quality isn’t as good as a great set of headphones.

I also have the idea in my head that it’s dual microphone with more space for processing chip etc so I must get a better experience. But reality is I’m used to CIC for 20+ years and need a long time to adjust to how the sound is picked up and processed differently.

If the lumity RIC battery life was the same as Starkey Genesis I’d have considered the switch but don’t think it’s time yet. Three more weeks of my Starkey trial before I need to decide.

1 Like

I agree!

18 hours is technically fine but life happens. The next day would be a nightmare if I didn’t charge properly the night before. Add work or social calls/outings. Sigh….

The standard definitely needs to be higher.

Thanks for sharing.

I just made up the idea of the P100.

P90 is the current maximum with Phonak products.

‘You Hear That Mr. Baltazard? That Is The Sound Of Inevitability!’

In all seriousness though. Thanks for sharing. Well said.

I agree. Part of the reason whenever I buy new aids I’ve always refurbish my old pair to become my new backup and donate my old backup for someone who cannot afford aids to have as they’re still decent.

It’s interesting having CICs as HCP can rarely make fixes if I have a serious problem as it’s so custom. RICs at least have a chance and if not there’s a chance a loaner pair can be given and you just plug in your own molds.

Excellent point you raise here, @Conndor. Do a little bit of streaming (TV, podcasts and music) and your Phonak rechargeables won’t make it through the day. I solve this problem partly by giving my HAs an extra recharge when I exercise and sweat in the middle of the day. Phonak should enhance (let’s say, triple) the capacity of their batteries, probably increasing the size of their BTEs (stop thinking all users are obsessed with vanity). Second, it should adopt more efficient 5.x Bluetooth asap. Hope the manufacturer listens.

2 Likes

Yes! I’m one of those “old people” with the flexibility in my time commitments. I do rely on accessories and wind up having to schedule some charging time into my day. My Lumity hearing aid batteries got to the point that on two days when I used no bluetooth accessories at all the dying beeping started before 6 pm. I sent the aids back to Phonak. It remains to be seen whether that does any good. What I don’t understand is why hearing aids don’t have both options. ALDs come with the ability to be charged, or used with replaceable batteries. Is the only thing stopping Phonak from making their hearing aids have the same capability the size? Larger, please. I don’t care who sees my aids. I would be happy to wear my hearing aids around my neck if it would enable me to hear better – at all hours.

2 Likes

It’s interesting that the slims aren’t really that much smaller. I’m also not convinced you need a larger form factor. Starkey Genesis does 51hours with their RIC and 41hours with their mini RIC.

Glad you have some charging time available each day and it naturally works. It’s a pity for most people who have a mandatory deaf time each day to recharge along with likely an additional charger for convenience so more costs.

Size shouldn’t be a major factor. Starkey Genesis gets 51hours with their RIC and 41hours with their mini RIC. Widex moment has options from 20-29 hours too.

When I trialed the Lumity I would be constantly getting low battery reminders from 8-9pm and that was brand new and even on days with minimum/no streaming. With the average aid life of 5-6 years for new air buyers, there must be 10-20% battery decay too just compounding the problem.

Starkey, Widex, and others don’t support Classic Bluetooth, but Phonak does, and the classic bluetooth is drawing more power than the MFI/ASHA (BTLE) connection of Starkey / Widex etc.

Starkey Genesis AI may use a newer hardware chip with lesser power draw , than Phonak.

2 Likes

I’ve got an appt set up for the 17th! My audi is always SO eager and accommodating to see me, too. Hopefully, some interesting results will come of tweaking the MPO and gain! Can’t wait!

1 Like

LOL! I knew it was a daydream … but some day, it WILL happen! P100 that are battery operated and last 6 days. Maybe in my life time? :wink:

Yeah, not necessarily. I don’t know your audiogram or your ears and there are a lot of possible limiting factors to great outcomes with CICs. BUT, some users have just the right combination of ears and audiograms for a deeply fit CIC with good frequency response across the board and the result, compared to a RIC with domes, tends to be more consistent gain with a better low frequency response, access to a true pinna effect, great wind noise reduction, good comfort with nothing fiddly behind the ears, and good retention. Sometimes RICs can give a better boost in noise because of directional mics or because of better access to remote mic tech, but sometimes this gets lost with a more open fit, or the user actually still has pretty good speech in noise function despite hearing loss.

3 Likes

And yesterday another example of NOT enuf battery life. Up at 5am, attended long day’s class on boating safety, staggered home, and along about 9pm the batteries were DONE FOR. I had to swap in my other pair of rechargeables just to unwind watching a movie.

I highly doubt any exec at Phonak (or other companies with similarly low-life rechargeables) would just take things as a matter of course to interrupt a day with complete change of hearing aid OR sit deaf as a post for 30-40 min waiting for single pair of rechargeables to enable them to HEAR again.

Walk in my shoes. I’m gonna send a pair of stinkin’ sneakers your way!

5 Likes