Dealing with Noise

I know this is the eternal question for most of us using HA’s. When we are in a crowded noisy restaurant or a bar there is no way to understand speech. So it happens in a noisy street.
Due to my work I need to have a spare set of HA’s. In this moment I have a set of Widex Passion 440 and a set of Phonak Audeo Yes IX. I am not going to advice about quality, as a matter of fact both work fine in normal environments.
Each set has been adapted in a different Center by a different audiologist. One set deals very good with street noise, ie car and heavy traffic, but in crowded restaurants is terrible. The other set is better in crowded restaurants and bars but worse in noisy streets.
Ideally, picking up the good adaptive diagram of every set it will result in one wonderful HA set, but that is theory.
My question is, which frequencies influence more the restaurants/bars noise and which ones the traffic noise?
If I would know I will go to the Audis and try to change the wrong part of the audiogram in each set of HA’s, so I will have the Widex and the Phonak sets working good.
Is this a valid idea or may be utopia?

0250.Hz L-45 R-40
0500.Hz L-35 R-50
1000.Hz L-40 R-50
2000.Hz L-45 R-50
3000.Hz L-60 R-50
4000.Hz L-90 R-70
6000.Hz L-80 R-65
8000.Hz L-75 R-80

Which is better in crowed restaurants? My guess would be the Audeo YES IX? Even if it is not the Audeo YES is more flexible than the passion in creating ONE good hearing aid as you can actually change the setting for each automatic environment selection, where the passion has one program where if you change one aspect everything else changes.

I just went into the programming software and clipped the volume on the last 2-3 points on the high end and then things were OK on my AH aids.

generally street noise is constant and quite similar. So any noise reduction based
on spectral substraction could work just fine… However in a more unpredictable
enviroment such as a restaurant things are different. I would think you could add
program 2 (noise 2) you your the instrument that works fine in the bar…
perhaps you could change programs using remote control. Both 440 and yes should be good. Having multiple pairs of aids is kinda of crazy

as a matter of fact the widex performes better in restaurants. but I think the audeo is not well adjusted yet.
I am visiting my audi today for the phonak.
xbulder is right, traffic is well suported by both HA branches. phonak audeo is a bit better here.
I do not know what to say to my phonak audi, she is as lost as I am. I think we should change some section of the audiogram, but which and how much?

:slight_smile: I think it’s a good idea to have at least two pairs of HA. In Australia it takes between 7 to 21 days to get an aid repaired (that was with Widex).

[quote][/quote]
I found this article about speech. It is worth to be read.
http://www.hearingresearch.org/Dr.Ross/Audiogram/Audiogram.htm

It’s a FANTASTIC article! Thanks for posting! Dr. Ross always has a way of explaining things so one can understand what is being discussed.

Nice article as far as it goes…which is not the whole story.

First pure tones used in most audiograms are nothing like speech in that they are constant. Speech on the other hand is full of important rapid changes. If the patients hearing system is unable to correctly interpret these temporal changes comprehension will be reduced.

Secondly, some moderate and severe/profound losses are almost always accompanied by some dead or severely degenerated portions of the cochlea that simply don’t respond. But if the practitioner cranks up the tone volume level eventually the patient will hear something and push the response button. This level is recorded on the audiogram as the input tone frequency loss when in fact what the patient really hears is of a totally different frequency.

Thirdly a tone audiogram doesn’t give much information about whether the patient’s auditory transport and interpretive system is compromised.

Pure tone audiograms are a useful first step in analyzing a patient’s loss…but just the first step if the loss is greater than the typical mild SNHL variety. Ed