Deaf composer Jay Alan Zimmerman reimagines the audiogram as a "hearing field"

This is pretty cool. I like the concept. The audiogram is still useful for diagnostics (easy to compare ears), but I think this would be a great counseling tool! Normal hearing would be a wide hearing field. Reduced hearing would show a “near” / reduced hearing field, which is a nice analogy to the concept that reduced hearing reduces your ability to hear far away sounds.

3 Likes

Well the author has made it only available in a certain, presumably US, area. I’m not going to fire up the VPN just now.
But I like it. It made immediate sense. If I use a tone generator and headphones and have it go go up in frequency, I get what I call a ping ponging effect between the sides. One side or the other has a greater weakness for a tone and so the other side hears it more. Then as the frequency continues up it comes back to the middle or then swings to the opposite side.
So this concept makes a whole lotta sense to me.

3 Likes

Very interesting concept Abram, thank you for sharing… Perhaps a route to removing some of the stigma that is unfairly attached to hearing loss? Cheers Kev

1 Like

This is cool too!

I met him a few years ago at a local HLAA meeting. He was there with another HOH gentleman who I can’t recall his name. They shared stories of going to dinner/bars in NYC and texting each other to communicate. Very nice and talented man.

1 Like