Crackling and hissind in Resound linx3D hearing aids

My new Resound linx3D right hearing constantly crackles…i have been advised to pu tthem in a dehumifier overnight - so i bought a hearing aid dryer. but despite using it on three consecutive days…it still crackles.
I have changed the hearing tube - but still no good. I live in France - bought the hearing aids in Spain - is there anything else i can do before returning the hearing aid to my professional in Spain?

Sounds like you could have a bad sound circuit or speaker

I have that same issue and started a thread about this issue. I’ve been back to Costco three times and have not gotten this resolved. Others in the thread report the same. After Thanksgiving I will make an appointment when the Costco fitter can call ReSound to discuss this.

Most of the people who complain of this have very good low frequency hearing. You don’t include your audiogram so can’t say if it applies to you. If it does, search for hearing aid processor noise.

Just on a relative note, I have fairly decent low frequency hearing but I don’t have this issue with the ReSound Quattro 9 61’s - or at least if it actually is there, I don’t perceive it. We have lots of background noises like an overhead ceiling fan that makes a slight whir as it goes around 24x7, 365 days a year. But all sounds I hear, I perceive as coming from outside my head, perhaps because of having open domes, except when I stream something from my Phone Clip+ or my Multi-Mic and then I perceive the sound as coming from inside my head (like hearing voices!) as there is no outside component delivered through the open domes. So since I don’t hear any bubbling or cracking inside my head, it seems with the particular set of Quattro’s I have, I’ve avoided the problem. Other than letting my HA’s sit out in an open container overnight, I make no special effort to dry them but the humidity inside our house is almost always in the 50 to 60% relative humidity range or lower.

removed due to massive mistake on my part giving false impressions

I don’t see the harm of a comparison to the next evolved model in the ReSound line of HA’s. Much of the stuff on this forum is repeated over and over. Stuff from years gone by is ignored and people start new threads on the same old, same old all the time here. Especially since no one before made the point in THIS thread that the latest and greatest from ReSound doesn’t appear to suffer the same problem, I’m not sure what the problem is. But if you’re giving me a license to harangue people because they didn’t SEARCH, SEARCH, Search for already answered questions, maybe I should accept that deputation. Especially since you started a brand new thread on your own personal experience with ReSound Fortes, Tim, ignoring a thread on the subject that had already existed for some time where people had already made numerous comments similar to your observations on first getting your set. So let’s all chill out!

Update And as a further thought, what if I had reported that with a newer ReSound model, I had the exact same problem?! That would let people know that perhaps it’s a continuing defect at least in certain individual HA’s manufactured in the ReSound line, and not just in the LiNX 3D/Forte flavor. So I have not followed other Quattro user reports on noise but it’s a defect in ReSound’s design/manufacturing, it would be nice to collect enough reports from users before and after the 3D/Forte model to know for sure that it’s peculiar to 3D/Forte’s. A topic for a survey?

Further Update Just a polite observation but in the other thread that Tim referenced pertaining to noise in Forte’s, Noreen observed that she had a similar problem with her Quattro’s, and previous to that had it with her 3D’s, and I believe another thread was referenced to somewhat similar noise problems in other brands/models of hearing aids. So I apologize if I did not appropriately recognize that this particular thread was to be restricted to ReSound LiNX 3D/Forte models…

I had crackling issues when I wore the linx 2 9 HA’s … both times it was after I attended a music concert and the music volume was veryyyy loud… and both times my audi found that a HA mic had blown… after the 2nd replacement he changed one of my decibel settings and haven’t had the problem since … I reminded him when i got my new quattros to set them the same way

1 Like

I don’t think this is a “defect.” From other threads, it is a known issue having to do with noise floor. Curious if you know what level receivers you have?

I have no idea - I have only had these hearing aids less than a year - so I am a complete newbie !!!
They r under guarantee so i’ve Contacted the supplier and told him I am sending them back . Which will make life a bit difficult in the meantime as I had got used to them.

I had another thought on crackling, which may have nothing to do with crackling due to issues dealing with noise level in an HA all alone, not connected to anything, even the other HA.

I take it that the ReSound 3D/Forte crackling is perceived with just one HA turned on and NOTHING else, not even the other HA, an iPhone or a streamer turned on nearby?

With my Quattro’s I have rarely had a very loud crackling situation, like static on a radio or someone rattling aluminum foil rapidly and very lightly, which appears to be caused by the following (and is probably not related to the 3D/Forte problem).

In streaming from Android phone to Phone Clip+, then to the HA’s, if I somehow interrupt the podcast streaming but at least the Phone Clip+ is still connected to my HA’s, I hear plain old background noise streamed either from the phone or the Phone Clip+. I mistakenly initially identified this phenomenon a while back as caused by the tires of some cars passing by on the street but I probably just interrupted my podcast streaming by stepping out of the street to avoid the cars.

So my stupid inquiring question is the crackling noise generated in the affected ReSound 3D/Forte HA when that is the only thing turned on or could something else nearby just by transmitting RF noise to the HA be the source?

Another thought (haven’t read the threads carefully to see if folks have tried this) but does the affected HA produce the crackling noise when in airplane mode? (special button press to enter and exit airplane mode). That would certainly help confirm that it’s an internal HA problem and not something that might be caused by background RF noise somehow. Sorry if that’s already been tested and I missed the answer.

This does not hold true for me. I get it in both ears all day long, regardless of any of the four Smart 3D programs that are active. I’ve tried it with leaving my iphone and apple watch home and walked out to the street 300 yards away, crackling / bubbling noise still there.

I walk what is known as the “Railroad Safety Trail” from my home to downtown. It is a bike / pedestrian path that parallels the railroad tracks with homes on the far side quite far away, since there are 4 to 5 tracks in parallel. and has a City Park with tennis courts. baseball diamonds, frisbee golf course for a mile or so, then the backs of homes on the side where I walk.

I turn off phone and watch, and am pretty certain there is no wifi / bluetooth / RF signal very close. I still hear the the crackling / bubbling noise in the aids. The quieter it is, the more noticeable the HA sound is to me. The HA sound is most noticeable after a loud noise such as running water, toilet flushing and it takes 10 seconds or so to drop to a barely audible level.

When out in town, there is enough ambient background noise of people, vehicles, etc. that I don’t notice it as much. If I have quiet music playing at home, then the music pulls my attention away from the HA “machine” noise. The quieter my surrounding environment, the more I notice the HA sound, but it is always there in the short stretches of quiet in between the regular sounds.

1 Like

Hi -
Fiddling around with app this morning and eventually noticed the right hearing aid was not registering in the app. After a bit of fiddling I managed to get the ha reconnected - and hey presto - ha is up and working with no crackle/hiss - and I feel more balanced! Let’s hope it lasts. My provider is supposed to be able manage these aids via the app -I will see what he has to say!
Many thanks for the support
Sheila

I am lucky in not having this issue at all with the Linx 3D or the Quattro. I am definitely interested in what people have to say.

I am a hearing aid user of over 40 years. Currently 69 years old in excellent health of mind and body. I have owned at least a dozen pair of hearing aids in that timeframe. I’m a tough fit now doubt with now severe loss. My HAS has been extremely patient with me.

While owning custom set of resounds back in the 90s I had to move on to other manufacturers at the time with RITE aids. I’d like to address the issue of defects including hissing and auto shut off since I had this issue with the LInx 3d on more than one occasion. so I upgraded to the Quatro Pro model. The first pair arrived at my HAS DOA. Yes apparently untested at the factory they were sent back for a replacement.

Now 3 months later after much satisfaction with the Quatros I’m getting the hissing, crackling static kind of sound and seconds later the left unit shuts down. This is not happening in the right aid. I reset yesterday 3 times after seeing my HAS with this problem. In his office nothing the failure did not happen. He asked me to make note the next time it did so that could be shared with Resound. 2 hours later it happened again. 3 times total. I plan to call the accommodating consumer support line today to discuss. But generally what I hear is they simply send out a new set and don’t really explain what ever the problem was. My HAS says I am one of his only customers with ongoing issues. (he’s not being rude just factual)
and therefore the company really doesn’t look hard at their defect percentages because they are minimal:-(

Dunno we’ll see. For those that pay these high prices for high end products we deserve more dependable devices for sure. All due respect to RESOUND as they have been good at the customer service level. Better than most.