Countdown to Cochlear Implant

Hi Rick!
I had a pretty rough evening last night with nausea. Have not experienced that before after anaesthetic. By 10 pm I had actually started bringing up blood. Didn’t know if that was normal, so my concerned hubby phoned the hospital. The ENT on call figured it was blood that had made its way through the sinuses, but to go to my local emerg if it kept up. Strangely, that was the end of the vomitting. I was able to get some toast and tea down at 2 am, then finally took a Tylenol. My headache was worse than the pain from the surgical site, it’s quite tolerable. The headache was probably from lack of caffeine and the general stress of the day. We had an awful drive home as Covid restrictions have eased and the highways were clogged with cars heading for cottage country. Took us over twice as long to get home as it did to get there in the morning, that was smooth sailing, thankfully.

So, today I am taking it very slowly lest the dizziness bring on the nausea again. I’ll survive, but actually didn’t expect to feel so ill.

Everyone in the hospital was exceedingly kind.

Thanks for checking in.

1 Like

Hi Debbie -

Thanks again for all the info. I had to get dropped off at the front door by my hubby and go it alone, but it all worked pretty well. Everyone was very kind and understanding.

The phone became an issue even after my nurse labelled a bag for it and my glasses and hearing aids. When they came to bring me to the operating room, there was some balking and much discussion over being responsible for it. Finally the head nurse over ruled and okayed it, and someone was tasked with actually brining it back down to my locker during surgery!! Perhaps they should consider this and have some hospital issued tablets available for such situations!

I did not expect to feel so rough last evening. I have never before been sick from anaesthetic. Fortunately we made it home before I started vomitting. Holiday traffic was nuts and it took us over two hours of jerky jerky stop and go to get home, which certainly didn’t help . But I was violently sick through the evening until I was bringing up blood. My husband called the hospital and the ENT on call thought it was likely blood that made its way through the sinuses, but to head for emerg if it continued. Strangely, once that was out of my system I started to feel better. By 2 am I got down some toast and tea so I could take a Tylenol. Today very dizzy, so curled up with a blanket and allowing myself to be waited on! Pain is quite tolerable, as you experienced. Didn’t start the antibiotics until this morning, as I would have wasted them last evening.

Anyway I am glad it’s done, I’ll just have to ride out the after effects. I was rather optimistic about recovery based on previous day surgeries, but they weren’t as involved as this. Truthfully, they ought to at least keep patients in overnight, but our public health care system has to be frugal, and this is standard practice. I am grateful for it, though!

I truly appreciate your checking in with me. Susan

1 Like

I forgot to tell you that I am implanted wit the latest AB device which is now MRI compatible. I do like their processor, and it’s connectivity option and battery life are more attractive to me than Med- El, which the doctor had initially decided on. I took the chance an inquired if he had a definite reason for choosing one over the other and it turned out he used them interchangeably, for my type of hearing loss, unless a patient expresses a preference. I am normally shy to “challenge” experts, and I assured him that I would accept what he thought best, but I am glad I questioned it. He was quite happy to accommodate me.

1 Like

Hi Susan,

Congratulations on your CI surgery! You made it through the procedure! Don’t know if you can see but I’m doing a happy dance!

I’m not knowledgable about AB implants and processors, but I do know they are part of Sonova (Phonak) so you can sync the CI with a Phonak HA. My Cochlear implant syncs with ReSound. I have a ReSound Quattro 9 synced with my implant. Syncing means that I can hear phone calls and stream to both ears at the same time. While I’m fine with my CI set up, I still think, IMO, that Phonak has better, more detailed sound for me. I was disappointed when I had to return the M90’s I was in the process of buying when I found out they would not sync with the implant I was getting. Through the forum, I learned that the Costco KS9 was made by Phonak and pretty identical to the M90. So I bought a KS9 as a back-up although I switch back and forth. I just wanted a backup HA just in case I had a problem with the ReSound which has happened twice. If I need to use my phone when wearing the KS9, I just make the phone bluetooth to the KS9. There are others that don’t use the HA that syncs to their CI. I just happen to do both.

Since you didn’t know until your surgery which implant you were getting, I don’t know what your thoughts on a HA, if you planned on getting a new one for your other ear. I just happen to hear better out of my hearing ear with a Phonak aid and to me, that is an advsntage with an AB implant.

I’m sorry about the anesthesia. I forgot about that part. I don’t tolerate a general very well, but do okay with twilight. I have to tell the anesthesiologist everytime I have surgery. They put something in the anesthesia to combat the nausea. They also put a disc with medicine on it as well for this. My thoughts are everyone tolerates anesthesia better than I so I don’t go into it, but I guess I’m not the only one that gets sick from it. This time for this surgery, I had tge best anesthesiologist because I didn’t get sick at all. When that happens it is miserable. Next time you have any surgery, make sure you mention that you get sick with anesthesia. You should get something through the IV to stop or lessen the effects and tell them you want the disc on your ear lobe to help this.

If you still feel sick with nausea, if you weren’t given medicine to stop the nausea, tell the doctor you want s prescription for it. If you are having a hard time sleeping, get a script for that. I didn’t get sleeping meds, I got anti anxiety meds to calm me into sleep. Remember to stay on any antibiotivmcs and steriods until finished. If pain increases or things get uncomfortable, contact the doctor immediately. You shouldn’t suffer like that. Soreness is normal and will go away. You may not be able to sleep on the side you were operated on, but you will eventually, took me about six weeks.

Take it easy and continue to demand to be waited on! You will probably feel sleepy over the next few days, so rest!

It’s so kind of you, Debbie, to respond at length. I spent the night on the couch to ensure I stayed on my left side. I am a flip flop sleeper, so this is challenging - I hope I’m not six weeks on the couch, ha, ha. I still feel very wonky today, but getting some breakfast into me is helping. Hubby ran me a bath and I am cleaned up and comfy in my recliner. And here I will remain, phone at hand and a couple of novels, gravol and ginger ale. I am not used to being cared for, and I was pretty naive about recovery. I had actually expected to possibly visit our nearby cottage this wkd!

I appreciate your thoughts on, and experience with, Phonak hearing aids. I was very happy to get the AB implant for that reason. I was told I could still use my old HA but I have struggled along for so long, and I want to maximize my hearing opportunities and have a HA that works with the CI, no auxiliary BT device getting in the way (or spoiling the effect of any nice costume jewellery I might fancy wearing.) I used to be so outgoing and active and slowly have withdrawn because it’s just too hard to keep up. I am sure you know what I am talking about. I am approaching 65, with hopefully lots of good years ahead of me that I want to make the best of. So, no scrimping anymore, I will go for the matched HA and be totally up to date with the latest technology.

We’ve lived on the same street for 35 years, and for the last 25, we have joined with 3 neighbouring couples for regular dinner parties. We called ourselves. “The Belmont Fine Diners”, however over the last year most of us have been falling apart. One gal has had both knees done and a shoulder replacement, almost everyone is now wearing hearing aids and we think our supper club needs a name change: “Belmont Bionics”! Ya gotta just laugh sometimes, and goodness knows this Covid year has been short on amusement.

Well things are looking up and there’s lots to be grateful for. On that note I sign off. Cheers!

I was able to sleep on the implanted side in a couple days.

By the second or third day there was very little pain or discomfort. My second implant I did have a nausea issue about 5-6 days after the surgery, meds fixed that up. The first implant went vey well except the ride home. I was in pain until getting pain meds for that night. Then all was good.

Susan congratulations, that’s the worst part over now. I’m not at all familiar with AB either. I’m sorry you had a rough time with the nausea post op. I hope you have fully recovered from nausea now though.

Take it very easy over the next few days, it’s important to rest up and let the healing begin. You might feel like you are underwater in you CI ear, this will slowly resolve over the next 6-7 weeks. As will the swelling from around the surgical site.

Good luck on your journey, roll on activation day :four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

@Deaf_piper - thanks for the encouragement. I was a bit taken by surprise by the motion sickness, having never experienced that. But it isn’t like I wasn’t warned! I am slowly improving, with the help of gravol, but really just staying still, which is something I am not used to!!

Susan how are you going now? I hope everything is all good for you since your operation.

Hi Cheryl - take for checking in! Well a week on and I am still very “wonky”. Thankfully the throwing up ceased after the first evening. However I have forced myself to be up and about the house more, I even made a “seafood” dinner last night - clam chowder from a tin and toasted tuna melts, ha, ha!

We are going to our little summer cottage today as it is the beginning of our annual Civic Holiday weekend. I can lay around up there just as easily as at home. Pain is minimal, mostly an earache in the evening which I think is due to (gently) chewing dinner. So, I think I’m going to live.

I was a bit disconcerted when I double checked with the surgeon’s secretary about the confusing instructions around hair washing . She really discouraged it until my follow up to get the staples out - which is still 9 days away! Good thing I can hide away till then!

7 days since your implant surgery. Congratulations
Things are hopefully getting much better.

I would guess your activation day is the day you get your staples out, 9 days away. Is this close?
My activation was the same day I got the post surgery check up from the surgeon.
Activation is a very interesting/exciting day. Your new hearing world will start opening.

Keep us updated please.

1 Like

Hi Rick! Thanks! No, activation day is the 19th of August, then mapping a week later, I think. Lots of trips into the city, but I am glad hubby likes driving. I am well aware of how challenging it would be to live outside of comfortable driving distance to the hospital. So, I consider myself very fortunate that we are within commuting distance.

I am feeling stronger today and much more balanced, so things are looking up! I can hardly wait for activation, and feeling positive. I do appreciate the cheering section on this forum, thanks to all! I will report back on the big day!

1 Like

This is great news.

I believe you could be mistaken on this. Mappings are part of activation. My understanding of mappings are similar to a hearing test audiogram. You have to have mappings to adjust the processors to when activated.
If I am off on this I hope another member will correct this.

1 Like

Rick that’s my understanding as well activation does include a mapping.

1 Like

@Deaf_piper and @Raudrive, perhaps you are right. It would make sense upon activation. They gave me my schedule of visits for the next year, but they may just have omitted “mapping” on the entry for activation day. But I do know that I have to return a week later.

That makes since for updating mappings.

2 Likes

Susan every mapping session brings you more clarity to hearing speech or environmental sounds. It’s not a good idea to skip a visit unless you are unwell.

2 Likes