Costco-Siemens-Rexton-Kirkland Signature

I have the Gem 12s from Costco. I paid $1,995 for the pair, including everything.

First time hearing aid wearer. Costco Rexton Cobalt 16 RITE. Just finished with my one week readjustment. I am not on programs only automatic. Using the 55dB receiver. So far so good. Cost $2,600 and with all the warranty and return policies as previously stated.

Left ear has a bit more loss and so currently have a closed dome to avoid feedback. Occlusion is a bit on that side but I will probably get used to it. Just nice to be able to hear the ā€œlow-talkersā€ and participate in multi person conversations. The fitter there said I am reading lips. I couldnt understand him unless I was looking at him (Asian accent).
I was treated professionally and the knowledge they must have is fairly deep with all the diagnostic equipment and computer programs to try to hone into my needs. I realize they are not audiologists, which I believe require a Phd now in Texas, but my needs are just normal. I dont think I need the knowledge bank of an ENT or audi.

I am moving to the Rexton 16 Channel HA in a few days after only 60+ days on the Starkey S Series 5.

This thread has been a great source of information , as these were my first pair, the Starkeys had been problematic since day 1 and my Audi just replaced both devices today, she has now disabled all of the automatic features of the units, not sure why.

She also told me when I first purchased the HA there were no Bluetooth HA available, that was August 3rd, 2009 I did not know any better and placed my trust in her.:mad:

So I will auction the new set of S Series on e-bay and purchase the 16 Channel Rexton with Bluetooth for $400.00 more than the low end Starkey. I really feel like I got screwedā€¦:eek:

If there is some one that wants to make a reasonable offer (I paid 2600/pr) for these new Units please feel free to do soā€¦

The Costco fitters are employees and I dont believe their salary is based on HAs sold at least that is my impression.
I have read some negative on Siemen products on this forum by, I believe, fitters and audiologists. I donā€™t know if their opinions would include this generation of HAs.
With a 90 day no questions asked return policy you should be in good shape if you decide against them.

Iā€™m new to this list and canā€™t find out how to post this thread.
Our Costco only offers the Seimens Colbalt and the Bernafon Verite. I like the idea of having a Blue Tooth device and donā€™t know which to choose for my sever hear problem.

My Costco fitter said the Rexton Cobalt was easier to adjust certain aspects of the compression over the Bernafon Verite. I think the Cobalt has bluetooth but I did not get it with mine. I am using the 55dB receiver which is the middle power receiver of the three offered. From what I can see with the RITEā€™s offered they are probably mostly the same except for the software and programming used by the various companys.
My right ear is moderate-severe so I am using the tip with holes in it and can still use my phone. My left is severe and am using the closed tip to avoid feedback.
I went to a +100dB concert last night and left my Cobalt HAā€™s in. They are on automatic and adjusted down to a comfortable level maintaing articulation. Amazing.

First time wearer. I just got the RExton Colbalt 16 three days ago. Right ear feels fine, left one feels stuffed and my voice is muffled and vibrates in the left ear. I have ear molds with a vent in them. Not sure why I donā€™t have open domes because the molds still give me some of that in the tunnel sound,

Clarity of sound has been an issue while watching t.v, so I tried to hook up the transmitter for the t.v. to my HDTV that has a dvr and dvd player, and there are no more audio out spots, so I canā€™t use it! Not happy about that. It works ok on another t.v, not great, but ok. I donā€™t have an appointment to go back for another 4 weeks.

Previous to this, I tried the Unitron from an audiologist for a week, that was all she gave me, but they are $6000. My RExtons were $3000 and that included the remote and transmitter. I didnā€™t know Costco people are not audiologistsā€¦just fitters. Interesting.

I donā€™t know that every Costco employee working in that department are not audiologists. Some maybe.
I would call and get some of the open and closed domes and experiment with those. I have a closed dome in my left ear that I have made some small pie cuts using scissors for venting to avoid the occlusion effect. With molded pieces and closed dome they can turn up the aids louder with no feedback.
After I got my aids my fitter made an appointment only one week later, but I went back only 3 days later to take care of the occlusion effect. I am going to a brand new Costco so my fitter is not busy yet. He told me some of them are very busy and you have to make an appt 3 weeks out. If I were you I would go back immediately and at least pickup a bunch of the vented and non-vented soft domes for experimentation.
C

Coincidentally when a friend found out I was going to Costco for a hearing test he went also. He went to a different Costco and got the Bernafon. The only reason I went for the Cobalts was the fitter said he could adjust the knee point of the compression better.
It has been a month for both of us. Of course our audiograms are different. He has more low end loss and I have more high end loss especially my left ear.
I call him every few days for an update. We are both first time hearing aid wearers and musicians. We both wear the aids during musical engagements and we are both happy.
Mine are on full automatic I have no program choices and I think he has two programs working.

Costco absolutely pays their Dispensers a flat salary. They are the second largest purveyor of aids in the USA, first being the Veteranā€™s Administration.

I have been told by a Costco executive that virtually all their fitters are Dispenser licensedā€¦not Audiologists.

From somewhat limited personal experience, I found their competence to be highly variableā€¦some very good ā€¦some just barely passable. Ed

That would make them on a par with the rest of the industry. Iā€™ve only personally met one and I was impressed with his knowledge and attitude.

I was in today, they quoted $900 each for the BRIDGESā€¦

Costco from what Iā€™ve been told do not resell returned aid but discards them and store receives credit

My 2008 experience with costco aid ws not impressive. I bought the $2000/pair Open fit aids. Initailly they impressed me a I could hear as well as I did with my past CIC. Soon realized (after the trail period of course) that I could not distinquish voices when hearing more than one sound, could not hear TV at normal sound level nor telephone. It clamed to have a T-coil but was never shouwn how to use it if it even had one.

Every time i asked about I was told that is the last channel we program, lets get the other two down pat first.

Great return policy and may consider again if the newer ones have improved greatly. But this time around I will compare Costcoā€™s with name brands. Oh and for me Open Ear or Open Channel are the only way to flyā€¦no occlusionā€¦thank God

JUST learning (or attempting) about hearing aids, etc. I thought you shopped by brand only, but learned that your hearing tests helps drive the decision. I went to an hearing aid center and was tested by a BC-HIS person and not tested in a sound proof ā€˜room.ā€™ He recommended the Starkey S series. Sounds like need to go to an Audi!

• I was wondering about Costco and their products and staff?
  • When you get HA, do you usually get 'unlimited' visits until your HA are fine-tuned?
  • OH, I'm a nurse who needs to use a stethoscope and my phone a lot--are there better brands/models for these application?

AND yes, Iā€™m still a little vain. Sorry, so many questions

Hi Melo,

I work at Costco, in a hearing centre in Canada. Here the staff testing must be either an aud or a RHAP( registered hearing aid practitioner). The test rooms have a fairly strict guideline as far as sound proofing goes. We are not commission staff either. There is no fee for the exam or fitting or any adjustments that are needed in the future. We clean and supply the clients with any tubing, wax guards, cleaning supplies at no charge. I am not as familiar with other places, but I do know that some charge extra for all of that. If you have any other ?'s about Costco I can try to answer them for you. FYI the kirkland signature brand hearing aids are Rexton hearing aids, as others have stated, they are the gems. I hope this helps. As far as the American Costcos I am assuming they have similar standards as far as the staff and the equipment used in the centres.

Hi all,
I have had hearing aids for close to twenty years.
The last 8 years, I have had CICā€™s that were purchased from Costco. I was not happy with the first pair I had bought because they were not reliable and were being sent back every 6 months or so. I had paid over $5,000 Can
After the warrantee expired - I had asked what now? Costco admitted that it hadnā€™t been the best and refunded my money! One condition was that I had to purchase a newer, upgraded version.
This worked ok as I received another 2 year warrantee and a much superior hearing aid
These worked great until I recently had an accident with one and I decided not to fix as they were 6 years old.
For comparison I went to an local audiologist and received recommendations of an Oticon Dual W for $2,600 each. Her high end ones were over $7,000 a pair. Then I went to Costco. I purchased the Cobalt 16 with Tek for $3,500 Can for the pair. I believe these compare with the high end that I was shown ā€“ at least to the features. They are similar to Siemens 700
I am looking forward to receiving them, they are now on order.

Do you recommend the Cobalt 16 over the Kirkland Signature?

Why are hearing aids so much more in Canada given the exchange is about 1.03?

Are the Cobalt 16 comparable to the Motion or Pure?

Some say the Tek only broadcasts on a restricted frequency= will this change in the future?

I plan to buy a hearing aid from Costco in the next week or when ever I can schedule an appointment. Also would appreciate any recommendation of the Cobalt 12 or 16 over the Kirkland HA. Or any other recommendation for a HA that Costco carries.

My hearing problems are:

• High freq loss.
  • Problems hearing people in groups sitting more than 2 people away while others sitting farther can understand. This is without noticeable background noise.
  • Problems hearing anyone in the front seat of a car while Iā€™m sitting in the back seat. And vice versa.
  • Canā€™t understand ā€œmostā€ of what is said over the speaker system at indoor funerals. The audience laughs at things said so I know they understand. ā€” However, at indoor wedding receptions with ā€œreally goodā€ sound systems, I usually understand most of what is said.
  • Donā€™t understand about 20% of speech at movie theaters so folks laugh but I didnā€™t understand.
  • Have to ask my wife to repeat certain phrases enough to be annoying to her. (One shot phrases in everyday life. Like she asks me a question or gives me an answer.) Yet we can converse with 98% understanding on my part while we are having meals.

Any Costco recommendations appreciated. I donā€™t have any insurance coverage.

In October of last year I got my first aids. They area pair of Bernafon Verite from Costco. Overall I have been very happy with them. I still go back about every 3 or 4 weeks for some ā€œtweakingā€ and feel we are about zeroed in on how they should be set. I started with the remote control device, but then traded it in for their ā€œSoundgateā€ which has the same features plus Bluetooth for my cell phone and TV listening. Another few hundred $$ but worth it in my opinion.

After about two months of wearing these, I did try a pair of the Rexton aids for a day, but for me, I clearly prefered the Bernafon and have stayed with them.

I think it important to try several brands if possible and recognize it takes a number of weeks to get things adjusted to what is optimum for you.

Hey HiFreqLoss,
I also have hi freq. loss but not as bad as some others I have seen. I have opted to trial a pair of Phonak IIIs because it is actually cheaper than going to Costco becauase the way my insurance is set up. I did try the Costco version and the Bernafon Verite for a short period until I found out about the insurance. My Phonek Smart IIIs only have 6 channels and they are woking perfectly for me. I had the same speech issues that you mention. I would have to constantly ask people to repeat themselves. I still do on occasion but very rarely. Early on you still have to focus on what is being said. My opinion is not to worry about whether to get the ones that have 12 or sixteen channels. Either one will do fine. I thought the Verite had a slight ā€œedgeā€ over the Kirkland and offered other features. If money is an issue, and features like bluetooth are not needed, go with the Kirklands. Otherwise I would recommend the Verite. Whatā€™s nice about Coscto is there trial period. Remember that you have to take awhile and let your brain adjust. Once you have them, you wish you would have bought them a lot sooner. Take them out and it sems like someone stuffed your ears with cotton. Good luck and no matter which ones you choose, youā€™ll be amazed.