Costco-Siemens-Rexton-Kirkland Signature

Hi Folks,
Here’s an update on my experience with KS hearing aids. I received them on Friday afternoon and have been wearing them just about full time now for four days. As a reminder, this is my first-ever set of hearing aids, so some of my experiences may be more related to the newness of hearing aids in general rather than the KS aids in particular. If so, I’d sure appreciate you’re pointing this out!

Overall, I’m pleased with how much better I’m hearing those who are important to me. I am amazed how infrequently I have to ask my wife to repeat herself because I didn’t understand her. When we were listening to a speaker at a conference I found myself telling her what he’d said, rather than the other way around.

At the same time there are several things that seem to be problems:

1. My left ear continues to have some soreness caused by the tube pressing against the ear. I’ve tried to bend the tube a little, and fiddled with how deep I push it into the ear canal. The fitter told me that he’s using the smallest covers for the tubes, so I hope he’ll be able to adjust this to be more comfortable.

2. When listening to a piano concert I heard intermittent “chirping” in each ear, but more in the left than the right. Seems like feedback. I heard this a bit during a movie also.

3. It’s quite annoying to have to push the button on the hearing aid to change the program as my environment changes. Program 1 for general hearing. Program 2 for crowds (I think this uses only the forward mics). Program 3 for the car (seems to make no difference at all). Program 4 boosts the volume (never used it yet).

The literature for the Vereté suggests that those hearing aids are “smart” and will self-adjust as my environment changes. Has anyone tried them, and does it work?

1. I still find my own voice sounds like I’m speaking into a tin can – particularly with Program 2. Is this a matter of adjustment, the HA’s, or something I’ll just get used to?

2. Tinnitus continues to be more prominent than pre-hearing aid.

3. Outdoors the background noise is surprising to me. In particular, almost everywhere I go there seems to be a low roar. The best way I can describe it is the way it sounds when you blow over the top of a bottle but don’t get it to produce a musical note. Just a hollow, windy sound. It seems to come from a variety of sources: tires of cars on the road, air conditioners, fans. I don’t hear it when I’m inside, and it doesn’t seem to have any correlation with whether it’s windy or the air is still. Has that noise been there all along and I just didn’t hear it?

I’m out of town until the weekend and I’ll have my first adjustment on Monday. I’d appreciate any feedback before then and will update what progress I make after that adjustment.

Jeff

I am a new poster and am so happy to have found this forum! It seems more helpful and friendly than some other boards…I am looking at Costco aids and need whatever advice I can get - before my appointment tomorrow!

My history - I grew up with a cookie-bite loss and managed to “get through” most of my young adult life without aids. Then my low frequencies started dropping, so for a while I had a reverse slope with better hearing in the high frequencies. Now those high frequencies have started to drop a bit, too, so that my loss can probably be classified as flat. I currently have one Starkey Endeavour aid and one America Hears. I lost one Starkey aid after the warranty period (aaargh!) - and replaced it with an America Hears Freedom BTE. My experiences with these aids will be saved for another post…hmmm…but I have been eyeing open-fit aids since they came out, but was never a candidate due to the loss in my low frequencies. I am so happy to see that now RITE aids can be used by those of us with low frequency/flat losses (someone correct me if I am wrong about that).

I recently went to the audiologist at my HMO to learn more about new aids that might be appropriate for my loss and she gave me info about the Oticon Dual and Epoqs and the Resound Dot, among others. I have given these options a lot of thought for the past month and have decided that I just cannot afford those aids. So now I am looking at the aids at Costco. The Kirkland Signature aids are appealing price-wise and I like their small size (boring colors, though…) Thanks for sharing your experience with them PastorJeff. I like the look of the Rexton Cobalts (have always wanted blue or purple aids!) and am not crazy about the look of the Bernafon Verite - but if it is a better aid than the Cobalt I might try those out, too. At this point I am not sure that I need/want the Bluetooth option - although I guess it might be nice to add it at a later date. Does anyone know if any of these three aids would be preferable for someone with a somewhat flat loss?

And another Costco question - do I need to return to the same dispenser for adjustments? I am assuming I do - but here is my dilemna: my closest Costco is completely booked for the next five weeks. The next closest Costco (down a busy and clogged freeway - ugh) can see me tomorrow. I hope this is not a reflection on the hearing aid dispenser that this guy has a completely open schedule! I am wondering if it is possible to get aids from one Costco and to get them serviced at another? I am guessing not…

Okay - I have many more questions but I think I will stop here for now…thanks in advance for any tips/advice/help!

SayWhat?

Freq - R/L

250 - 50/60
500 - 55/60
1000 - 60/62
2000 - 60/58
4000 - 50/55
8000 - 45/45

Jeff, I think from your post you’re doing pretty well, and experiencing new aids much like I did at first.

1. I hope you get something worked out there. I figured out how to adjust my acoustic thin tubes (hollow tubes) for the best fit. Maybe you need a shorter or longer tube on that side.

2. You need to switch to a music program to turn off the feedback canceling in a situation like this.

3. That’s what I like about my GN ReSound Pulse aids - no programs, no buttons; they just do their thing.

4. You’ll get acclimated to it.

5. No experience here with tinnitus.

6. Your brain should adjust over time so that most of that fades to the background.

Here’s wishing you good luck.

From my experience you can go to any Costco, and the fitter at that Costco can pull up your information and hearing aid programming through their computer system, and do whatever you need.

When my grandmother was alive and wearing Bernafon in-the-ear aids, she got them at one Costco, but had to have the re-shelled to fit better. She went to a different Costco for that, no problem.

Hi folks,
Here’s another update in my experiences as a first-time hearing user being fitted with Kirkland HA’s.

Yesterday I went back to Costco for my first follow-up visit. As detailed above, my chief issues were “chirping” noises during music, soreness in my left ear, and a desire for a little more high-end boost. I’d been wearing my KS aids for a little over a week.

Right away the fitter showed surprise at the chirping. He was quite bewildered but determined to find a way to fix it. He has several musicians in his family and for clients and was worried that the KS aids might not be suitable. As I mentioned, he’s big on saving his clients money and really didn’t want to steer me to a more expensive product.

He made some adjustments to each aid, including making them more automatic in sensing their environment. I learned a lot as we navigated the computer screens together. These aids have many many features that Costco doesn’t advertise. They’re pretty sophisticated.

His final word was that he wasn’t satisfied that he’d resolved the “chirping” issue and would call the manufacture to learn more. As requested, he increased the gain.

Well, it turns out he turned up the gain on my right ear way too much. It sounded fine in his office, but in the real world I felt like I was being assaulted by sound. When my wife, standing a few feet away from me, called the kids to dinner I had to cover my ears. After only an hour or so I gave up and pulled out the right aid for the rest of the day.

Interesting to have one hearing aid. I didn’t like it at all. My aid-free ear felt like someone had stuck cotton in it. After one week I really wanted to get those sounds back!

I went back today and spent another hour with the fitter. He was quite apologetic and admitted that he’d been so perplexed by the chirping that he had probably not paid close enough attention to the “simple” job or giving me a bit more high-end volume. He ended up totally resetting the right aid, but the fine-tuning went quickly now that I am more accustomed to the feel and sound of the aids.

He also happily reported that he had reached his rep and gotten guidance on how to stop the chirping during music. It seems that he’d turned up the feedback suppression because I frequently do public speaking with amplification. Apparently my hearing aids were now mistaking certain musical notes as feedback and shutting them down. The “chirp” was me hearing the beginning of the note, and the having it shut off by the aids. I haven’t been in a place to hear live music yet, but I’m hopeful that this has been resolved.

He also changed the shape of the tube in my left ear and it feels better now. He gave me a free bottle of drops to help heal any scratches that might have happened in there.

All in all I’m feeling very good about my hearing aids tonight. They are starting to feel right, and I really missed the one when it wasn’t there. All this for $1999.99 a pair ain’t bad.

I hope this helps someone else who’s considering what and where to buy. I’ll update again in a few weeks when I’m a bit more experienced.

Jeff

The "chirp is caused by the feedback canceller, you need to switch to a music program

Precisely.

I’m a newbie to HAs. I just came back from Costco and purchased the new Bernafon Verite w/ bluetooth controller.

Any comments would be greatfully appreciated. I’m really swimming in the murky waters here, so please help. :confused:

And we’re anxious to read about your experience with the Verite and bluetooth, since it’s a recent addition to the Bernafon and Costco lineup.

:eek: Ooooh, I’m the guinea pig, huh?
I should be getting it early next week.

Everything I’ve read says it’s going to be good.

I went to Costco and tried their latest, the Bernafon - Verite, recommeded by the audiologist there. One of the units did not work properly. After fooling around with it, going back and forth to and from Costco, I asked for a replacement unit. I was told that Bernafon’s policy is that I send in the defective one, they repair it and send it back. I declined on the basis that I paid for a NEW unit and wanted a NEW unit replaced. Bernafon declined to send a new unit, through Costco, so I could just come in and exchange my defective one. They wanted me to send mine in and then, they said, they would send me a replacement. I ‘assumed’ what they were going to do was attempt to repair my defective unit and send the same one back to me. NOT!! In response, and since it was during the trial period, I brought both units back and returned them for a full refund. I had lost confidence in Bernafon.

Thereafter, I went to a Zounds outlet and am currently testing their Mini BTE w/open dome unit. So far so good.

Good luck.

I purchased an AVIO 3 or 4 last year. Currently it is an Avio 5.
Since then I have had it replaced twice because it keeps cutting off then on, with from no apparent reason to heavy pressure on it.
Like from no apparent reason, to my glass temples touching it, to me pressing on it.
NO ONE, the audiologist, the factory rep, or the factory, can figure out why and I am told that I am the only one with this problem. I guess it must be the excess energy in my brain. (like I believe that). I am an electronic engineer.

It doesn’t seem to do it in the winter, but it also doesn’t seem like a water problem. It is like the battery connection is loose and opens up then closes again. But that doesn’t appear to be the case either. It goes silent then beeps once as it comes back on. It is NOT changing programming, it is actually going off.

I would like to hear if anyone else has a similar issue.

I recently discovered you Forum and I picked up my Kirkland Signature Premium Hearing Aids yeserday at CostCo and wore them from the store
until bed time. I haven’t put them in yet today but will do so pretty soon as we are going out to night to play bridge. Unless we go somewhere during the day, I usually do not wear my hearing aids aroundthe house as
I have a nerve problem on the left side of my face. My old Qualiton
CICs made it worse but the new BTE not so much, but because I have a hole in my right ear, I cannot have a dome so it still feel a little plugged.
As of now they are set for automatic with no other programs inserted.

I hope the following is correct never paid any attention to it before
Freq R/L 7-23-2009
250 30 35
500 35 40
1k 28 25
2k 30 40
4k 50 65

I’ve been having the most frustrating conversations with the fitters at our two local Costcos.

They guy who fit me basically said, “You have a mild loss. You need Kirklands. Why spend more?” I’ve been wearing them for about 3 weeks now and I love that I’m hearing more, but I must say that I don’ t have a lot of confidence in his ability. He doesn’t listen well, and when I’ve gone in for adjustments he makes changes, then shrugs his shoulders. For instance, I complained that the volume was too loud on my music program, so he switched it to a telephone program and asked me to try that. I don’t get it! When I’ve asked about the features of the Kirklands verses the Verite, he says, “It’s got more power and a bigger battery. You don’t need that for $600 extra.”

So, I called another Costco to ask about the Verite. The guy called them “Vrites” (rhymes with Bright). Again, he claimed I’d experience no difference because they are just more powerful. Period. Frankly, the fact that he doesn’t even know how to pronounce the name of his product isn’t a testimony to his expertise.

Meanwhile, a local audiologist who also tested me (before I started my trial period with the Kirklands) suggested Phonak Yes 5s. This week I called to explain that I’m currently trying Kirklands, and they offered to fit me with the Phonaks at no risk to me for a 45 day trial. They seem confident that the difference in clarity and speech recognition will be worth it for me to pay $2000 more for their instruments. This audiologist, by the way, seems very professional.

So, I guess I’m going to try the Phonaks.

Advice?
Jeff

Jeff:
I have the Verite from Costco. I have been wearing them for about 10 days and I am very pleased. Everything works as represented (although my TV bluetooth device is defective and I’m going to have it replaced). Everything re the SoundGate is super great. The phone part is somewhat low. I’ve got an appointment with my aduio at Costco and the rep from Bernafon on Friday, so we’ll see what he says. They are new to Costco, so the audios don’t know much about them. They like the Kirtlands because they are Siemans and they have been dealing with them for some time.

When I first went to Costco, the audio recommended the Kirtlands, as I don’t have a major loss, but I listen for a living and needed something that wiill work. He said if I didn’t want the bluetooth functionality, the Kirtlands would be just fine and I’d save $800, plus the $350 for the SoundGate device. The Verites are 2800/pair, while the Kirtlands are 2000/pair. I opted for the Verite because of the bluetooth. For me it was a good choice. I like having my phone answered in both ears and I can listen to books on tape without headphones. It’s pretty cool. I also have the functionality of 4 programs that I can change any time with just a click.

The Verite has a speaker in the ear, so it’s somewhat “different” than the Kirtlands, but it’s just as invisible. I haven’t tried the Kirtlands, but as I say, I’m very satisfied with the Verite and with Costco. They are very professional and very helpful. Just hard to get an appointment. They are always booked up.

LMK how you make out.

So, I guess I’m going to try the Phonaks.

Advice?
Jeff

They will probably cost you 3 times what you would pay for the one your are wearing
and the question is will you hear that much better and you will probably need to replace them in 5 years to six years. This is my second pair and although they are
far from the top of the line, so far I an not unhappy with mine. They do need to
be adjusted up but my fitter told me that would probably be the case and it is.
Also I need a little more amplication with my left device but so far so good .

So I guess that is the reason that there are 33 or more flavors of ice cream and why some drive a Lotus and some drive a VW Beetle

Has anyone done a comparison between the Kirkland Signatures and the Verite? If you’ve worn both, I’d really appreciate hearing about your experience.

The guy at Costco insists that the only difference is that the Verite is more powerful for someone who has a more significant hearing loss than I do.

Jeff

Hi Everyone,
At this writing I am testing and wearing Rexton Gem12 hearing aids!!! I am VERY IMPRESSED! I can hear my feet cross our tile floors!
Hubby is wearing and testing Oticon and does not like them as well as the gem 12’s.
OK…here’s the bottom line! We both need hearing aids in both ears. We scream and neighbors reply!!! Not a pretty thing!
Now your talking …JUST TO MUCH MONEY! The nearest Costco that sells them is located 1 1/2 hr. from us. OK we are willing to do the drive but PLEASE CAN ANYONE TELL ME what Costco is selling a PAIR OF GEM 12’sFOR??? I tried calling the store but that Dept. closed till Monday. Maybe you out there can give us an idea.
Will say this…The Gem 12 is AWESOME and that being said tells lil ol me they are one hefty price!
Will await word from you all out there.
Thanks

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what Costco is asking for a set of Rexton Gem 12 hearing aids? I tried calling them but closed untill Monday. Any help appreciated.
Thank you, Carole

Yes I would also like to know this information. Does anyone know what Costco is getting for the Rexton Gem 12’s???