1k…10…5
1.5k…10…10
2k…10…15
3k…30…25
4k…50…30
6k…55…55
8k…75…55

The dismissive audio guy said I don’t need an aid
but the frazzled appt. lady said I could demo one to bring up the high freqs. but I’d probably return it after a week because I can hear most speech and I’d find the HFs an annoyance and useless.

Superimposing the Speech Banana on my graphs shows that I’m out of the banana at the HFs. I suppose, then, that music sounds different to my present self than my past (e.g., 10 YO) self. :frowning: It still sounds good, though.

Does my good hearing from 500 to 1500 Hz somehow help my HF loss?

BTW, if the Cheeks lady is gone I hope she got my PM. It was important.

You’re in a tough group in that you probably notice your HF HL in noise and maybe even other places but it doesn’t look like a hearing loss that someone would put a HA on. Thing is, if you’re noticing it, then even though the numbers don’t necessarily scream “aid me!” it’s enough to impact you. I’m with the receptionist on this one, might be worth the trial. You might love it, might hate it…but you won’t really know unless you try.

Hello,

The short answer by just seeing your threshold based audiogram is yes, you should be wearing hearing aids. Your low frequency hearing while decent, only allows you to hear essentially a muffled tone for all sounds but moreso in the right ear.

I am not sure why your dismissive audio guy was that way, or why your second audio gal was so negative about the process, it seems silly to me overall.

I don’t think you would be classified as a hard-to-fit patient, but time will tell for you.

Get out there and try some hearing aids.

I would also say you have nothing to lose in trying HA’s, you will either see a benefit or you won’t but that is what the trial period is for. As for Costco, the HA person probably doesn’t want to waste time and have to return the HA for someone who falls in the gray area of needing or not needing HA, so he told you that you don’t need HA, so if you want to stay with Costco he is the one you will need to convince that you want to try them. Costco does have a 90 day trial period, so you should be able to decide in that time frame if you receive a benefit from HA. Good luck!

The “dismissive” audio guy at Costco probably got tired of chasing losses like yours. This is something we are going through at Sam’s as well. High frequency losses have the highest rate of return in my experience and with our %100 back, it is simply a loss all around for the company. So, as a result some pros stop pushing hearing aids for losses out past 2kHz.

Is there a loss? Absolutely.
Will hearing aids help? Probably.
Will hearing aids help enough for you to keep them? Eh. Maybe.

I’m saying that some of the advice is colored more by business than your loss.

Very informative. Thanks, folks. . .

When it comes to HF loss, I look at 2k. If there is loss there, I push a hearing aid because you will see a much larger difference.

If you were in my office, my advice would be the choice is yours. If you are ready to improve your hearing, I am here to help. If you aren’t quite ready then that is your decision. Sometimes the patient chooses to try a hearing aid, sometimes they don’t. Whatever they choose is the right decision though.

It sounds like you want to improve your hearing so it would be worth it to try for you. That is an important aspect in the fitting of hearing aids. If the patient wants it to work, it will work. If the patient doesn’t want it to work and is hoping for failure (you would be surprised how often this is the case) then we are destined for failure.

If you push hearing aids on someone who doesn’t want them, you are destined for failure.

What decade does this advice come from? Because it certainly isn’t this one or the last one. ‘Chasing’ HF losses has been possible since the early Adapto days (2002-3-4) which came out with the ‘ski-slope’ option. It’s been improved upon several times with the introduction of ‘Open’ then RIC models.

All manufacturers will have a model that works in this area now: as a market segment, it has the highest potential growth. Not grasping that kind of information would show that perhaps the level of dispensing is more than a bit out of date.

RIC fitting now accounts for about 80% of the work here: my business wouldn’t exist as it does now if we couldn’t achieve substantial life-experience improvements for people with this kind of loss.

I’m not talking about the capacity of the aids. I am talking about patient experience. A lot of folks - at least the ones I deal with - are expecting something other than a clarity boost. I am not saying that it won’t work, I am saying that there is a higher rate of return with people that have exclusively 3kHz and higher losses.

What do you do with those? I’m always looking to learn new things. That’s half the reason I got on this forum.

I fit them with a decent RIC and ‘really’ push the habituation aspect. My line is ‘these are like contact lenses: you get up, have your shower and then put the aids in when you’re dry, continue to wear them through the day - last thing at night, you take them out, if you continue to do this I’ll get the best out of the hearing aid for you…’ etc.

Then I tell them that I actively monitor the data-logging of all the patients and usually only make prescription changes for those people who wear their aids for more than half their waking hours (10+) on average.

In doing this I move the locus of the successful outcome onto the patient: while offering the counter observation that the aid is simply a ‘walking stick’ to ‘allow the brain to hear speech reasonably well’.

If, at follow up they aren’t doing the hours: we have a bit of carrot about improved programming refinement and a bit of stick in front of their partner ideally about how they aren’t getting the value out of the purchase.

I offer 100% refunds too on all RIC (ITE carry a tiny charge), though I consider it a bit of a personal failure if I can’t get an aid to work as intended on a patient.

EDIT: forgot to say that I’m quite up-front about the need for a particular technology and it’s merit/de-merits. If the patient doesn’t agree a ‘need’ early on, then I won’t proceed with a trial (I’m not here to satisfy a curiosity).

THAT…is a GREAT idea. I might have to do that as well. Nothing worse than when a patient comes in and has issues with sound quality but the datalog shows that they’ve worn it for an average of <1h/d. Yeah it’s gonna sound different/bad if you never wear it.

Hrngh. I do mostly the same thing here, but its hard for me to get some patients to bring in their spouse/whatever. I hate seeing 40 hours of total use after they’ve had it 10 days. I also make sure I explain the data log before they start but I still get them in “oh, yeah. Wore them all the time. But my voice sounds a little wierd right now.” Duh, this is the first time you’ve put them on since you left the office.

I guess its partly a difference in setting. I’m at Sam’s so we get more spur of the moment hearing aid purchases.

Yeah it’s fun to “catch” people…lol. I’ve done that more than once even though I tell them that the hearing aid stores everything it does, including time of use.

Being in an ENT office has it’s benefits…by the time they are sitting in front of me they are 99% of the time there specifically to purchase hearing aids…

I have several friends who have and need hearing aids and only wear them occasionally and then complain about them when they do wear them, saying everything is to loud or sounds funny, etc. When I tell them to wear them everyday for a few weeks or for one month all day long and then see how they work they always have an excuse as to why they can’t do it. I have also suggested going back to the audiologist to see if they can adjust out what bothers them but they have an excuse for that too. For a few of them I have come to the conclusion they just aren’t ready for HA for one reason or another and have given up trying to convince them. I do have one friend who listened to me and now wears his HA’s everyday and has admitted to me that everything started sounding better after a couple of weeks of continuous use. So with some people there is hope.

Sure enough, I cannot hear this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpB8wJU0dYc
with my right ear plugged. With only my left ear this tone does not exist.
I’ll have to try this comparative test at other freqs. I should have the same effect at 4 kHz.

Hehe I always feel like my Audiologist is spying on me when I don’t wear them some days and that I will get the comment on my next visit :rolleyes: Last time I visited she was telling me from the statictics that I don’t talk a lot lol I wish there was the option to easily see those stats on my PC at home, using the blue tooth facility or something like that

But yeah I agree with your comment Um bungo

Yesterday,I ran into another person that has had HA for over 4 years but never used them, they just sat in her drawer at the convent( she’s a retired nun). The last time I saw her (last summer) I talked to her about her HA and she told me that they bothered her when she used them, I suggested she go back to her audiologist and tell her exactly what she told me and let them make adjustments and see how they work out. Well yesterday I was at her sisters and she came up and thanked me and showed me she was wearing her HA and had been wearing them everyday since she went in for adjustments. So another success story.

a co-worker I worked with took his mother (80+) to my AD and she got hearing aids about 2 years ago. Just as above she didn’t wear them because they bothered her. When my friend told her she never heard a thing his was saying, her quote, ‘you haven’t said anything worth hearing in 20 years’ . I told this story to my AD who said she would call her ask ask her how things are going and ask her to stop in just to check them. I haven’t been back to find out what happened.